Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #21

When I ordered my cedar creek, they said it would be $11,000. For full body paint. Not. I wax the end caps 3 times a year and the body 2 times a year. Its a year and a half old and still looks like the day I picked it up. It's a lot of work, but I work cheap.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #22

Bought our Sunseeker sprinter based motorhome 2 years ago and debated but went with full paint. 20K miles later including some MN gravel roads and an 11K trip to Alaska it still looks great. We also have hard water and the spots are noticeable on the windows but not the paint. Once a year I use the spray type polish/wax.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
Bought our Sunseeker sprinter based motorhome 2 years ago and debated but went with full paint. 20K miles later including some MN gravel roads and an 11K trip to Alaska it still looks great. We also have hard water and the spots are noticeable on the windows but not the paint. Once a year I use the spray type polish/wax.

Agree! We have very hard water in our area of Missouri, but waxing keeps spotting at a minimum. I wax our unit twice a year with Meguiars. We have a few minor rock chips, but easily touched up with a paint pen.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Can't you just buy new decals from the factory

You can. We bought an extra set when we had our Cedar Creek. Don't wait too long before you do, though, as they change every couple of years.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #25

We got the full body paint on our Sunseeker 3010DS which included the 3M body shields on the hood and end cap to protect from chips. After 3 seasons of camping including a trip to Alaska it looks like new with a beautiful gloss. The dealer did provide me with a paint touch up kit that included all the different colors used in the full body paint which I have used a couple of times to touch up minor chips and it works well. It is a very rare camping trip that I don't have a camping neighbor come over and comment how they are drooling over the paint job and wish they had done it too. I figure I will get my money back on the paint job if and when I ever trade but my plans are to keep it for the foreseeable future.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #26
bigdaddy1

I must admit I too love the full body paint and will ordered my next Cardinal with full paint. It must be my narcissistic personality cause I like the looks from fellow campers when we pull in a new campground.

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
I must admit I too love the full body paint and will ordered my next Cardinal with full paint. It must be my narcissistic personality cause I like the looks from fellow campers when we pull in a new campground.

The quote I received with full body paint is well within financial grasp. I'm just wondering which really holds up better.

I'm also not an rv washer, car washer, ... my stuff stays pretty dirty. I think things work better dirty, maybe that's my Air Force days talking...but every time we washed a jet, it broke... they just work better dirty..besides, a layer of dirt is an awesome protectant

I'm teasing, we'll sort of,,, not really
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #28

DW likes to decal on the front of the Cedar Creek and the full body paint doesn't have that decal on the front or the sides for that matter. Anyway I have spent a lot of money on upgrades but that full body paint is something i don't need. It does look nice, makes the camper stand out in a crowd
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
DW likes to decal on the front of the Cedar Creek and the full body paint doesn't have that decal on the front or the sides for that matter. Anyway I have spent a lot of money on upgrades but that full body paint is something i don't need. It does look nice, makes the camper stand out in a crowd
I too like the decal front... but I'll be parking this rig at my house.. the sun starts in the back, comes over head, and sets dead ahead of my parking place...I really worry about the front cap fading
Old 09-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #30

On my Cedar Creek the front cap faded and the factory replaced it, now the rear cap has faded and Cedar Creek is paying Amish RV to replace the rear cap
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #31

Full Body Paint

I just bought a 2017 Georgetown 364TS July 8 2017
And it had set in desert in Texas for over 6 months.
They charged $10,000 for full body paint and that was the big thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. The body paint is Gun Metal Black Grey and more white than I think full body paint should have. There are so many rich beautiful colors on RVs and I did not like mine but the more I hear about the heat and the fading and trouble with decals it is really starting to grow on me. My reasoning was like a house! I don't mind paying a little more for something I am going to see everyday or (a lot) and wishing later on that for a few dollars more I could get something I really like. I do like this paint much more than the standard Georgetown without full body paint. I notice some gorgeouse black and chocolate brown and gold but the concerns about the heat make me appreciate what I have instead of drooling everytime I see a gorgeous full body paiint job! It is easy to take care of! I take to a truck car wash and $70 later looks brand new😄Again!!
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #32

Thrifty and glad we got full body paint

I think of myself as cost-conscious or thrifty rather than being a cheap-skate. : ) I didn't want to pay the $6000+ for full body paint on our coach but it was a concession I made to my husband who doesn't ask for much. Almost a full year into ownership and I have to say that I'm glad we spent the extra $$$. It looks really good -- when we're walking back to the parking lot we often overhear people mentioning how good our coach looks. In addition, my husband says he thinks it's easier to wash (we've never had decals so...). We've gotten a bit of "desert pinstripping" on the dark paint and the marks generally wash off and there is nothing deep enough to matter.

nookaroos
: )
Nookaroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nookaroos View Post
I think of myself as cost-conscious or thrifty rather than being a cheap-skate. : ) I didn't want to pay the $6000+ for full body paint on our coach but it was a concession I made to my husband who doesn't ask for much. Almost a full year into ownership and I have to say that I'm glad we spent the extra $$$. It looks really good -- when we're walking back to the parking lot we often overhear people mentioning how good our coach looks. In addition, my husband says he thinks it's easier to wash (we've never had decals so...). We've gotten a bit of "desert pinstripping" on the dark paint and the marks generally wash off and there is nothing deep enough to matter.

nookaroos
: )
Nice way to phrase it. That's exactly where I am on the matter
Old 09-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #34

If you ever own an RV with a full body paint job you will never want one any other way!
I probably would have never spent that much money if I had been ordering this rig, however, when looking at this unit which was 6 years old when we bought it I was amazed.
This was a Florida RV that had been stored outside for 6 years and it looked brand new!
I have introduced a scratch or two down the side but those clean up easily with some elbow grease and a quality polish.
It does absorb heat a lot more than my previous white rigs but with two A/C units it was comfortable in 100 degree Texas heat in late June.
As stated, it draws oohs and aws wherever it is seen.
I am sold, paint it at any cost for me.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I like the looks of full body paint... but I'm also a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to things that aren't actually necessary.

What are your thoughts, likes and dislikes when it comes to full body paint on a 5th wheel?
If you care what your unit looks like,,, and you like keeping it looking nice,,,
Full Paint is the way to go !!!
SOOOOO much easier to keep it looking new !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
If you care what your unit looks like,,, and you like keeping it looking nice,,,

Full Paint is the way to go !!!

SOOOOO much easier to keep it looking new !!!

I promise to only make the point one more time.
FIRST: determine how you will use the rig. If you are using it at KOA type campgrounds then full body paint is great! If you want to dry camp and/or use National Park campgrounds that can be many miles down gravel or poorly maintained roads then think twice before spending the money on paint.
I'm one of the most anal people you'll ever meet but went away from paint to enjoy the experience more. I couldn't/wouldn't take my painted rig down roads that I have no problem taking my 5er down. I was missing out!
Good luck with your decision [emoji4]

Bill
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
I promise to only make the point one more time.
FIRST: determine how you will use the rig. If you are using it at KOA type campgrounds then full body paint is great! If you want to dry camp and/or use National Park campgrounds that can be many miles down gravel or poorly maintained roads then think twice before spending the money on paint.
I'm one of the most anal people you'll ever meet but went away from paint to enjoy the experience more. I couldn't/wouldn't take my painted rig down roads that I have no problem taking my 5er down. I was missing out!
Good luck with your decision [emoji4]

Bill
I would

I'll take my full body paint down any washboard road you want.
Why would you assume because of the paint that a rig only belongs in glamgrounds?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1347.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	151225  
Old 09-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I would

I'll take my full body paint down any washboard road you want.

Why would you assume because of the paint that a rig only belongs in glamgrounds?

Each to his own I guess.
I go places with rock, gravel, mud holes after rain storms so I can barely get out. One thing I notice is there are no fancy paint jobs in the surrounding areas. This includes National and State parks that are remote.
Not that there aren't some but very very few.
My friends that have high $ paint jobs won't go back in the washes at Glamis. I did once in my coach and regretted doing it.
The rig will pay the price but if you're comfortable with that more power to you.
My only point in posting is to make people aware of the pros and cons is all. There isn't a right or wrong to any of this
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Each to his own I guess.
I go places with rock, gravel, mud holes after rain storms so I can barely get out. One thing I notice is there are no fancy paint jobs in the surrounding areas. This includes National and State parks that are remote.
My friends that have high $ paint jobs won't go back in the washes at Glamis. I did once in my coach and regretted doing it.
The rig will pay the price but if you're comfortable with that more power to you.
My only point in posting is to make people aware of the pros and cons is all. There isn't a right or wrong to any of this
My class a did a little of gravel travel and some paint chip/scratches that had to be touched up.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Each to his own I guess.
Eh, you win.