Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

To level or not

Iím curious how others are storing their rigs. Is it best to level when in long term storage or just use the front jacks.
Bosnroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
Guy that joined a *****

I park it level with stabilizers down. Dedicated, level, parking next to the garage. Only do this with the thought of going in/out the days before and after a trip to pack/unpack the fridge, make/unmake beds, etc. One day a guest will probably sleep there, but that hasn’t happened yet.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #3
Travel Trailer Delight!

Level

Hey There! I don't know of any science behind it but I would think that leveling would be best. Think of a board leaning at an angle on the fence. If in that position long enough it would begin to warp. Given the construction of RVs and TTs, I think it would be prudent to level. Any engineers out there??
Boucherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucherk View Post
Hey There! I don't know of any science behind it but I would think that leveling would be best. Think of a board leaning at an angle on the fence. If in that position long enough it would begin to warp. Given the construction of RVs and TTs, I think it would be prudent to level. Any engineers out there??
Here's an alternate viewpoint: Say you park your trailer, level, lower the stabilizer jacks, and generally set it up like you would if you were camping. Only thing is, you picked up a nail in your tire on the way home last time. How long before you notice that the weight of the trailer is now resting on bent or broken stabilizer jacks?

Or, put another way, I park my trailer at a storage lot with level pads. I chock the wheels so that it can't blow around in the wind. I drive by and check on it about every two weeks. If I park it with the stabilizers up, and one of my tires go flat, I have a flat tire to deal with. If I park it with them down and a tire goes flat, I have a flat tire *and* bent stabilizers to deal with.

Is it a high risk? Not at all. But it's greater than zero and easily avoidable - so I park with them up.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Many folks purposely park non-level so the water runs off.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanster View Post
I park it level with stabilizers down. Dedicated, level, parking next to the garage. Only do this with the thought of going in/out the days before and after a trip to pack/unpack the fridge, make/unmake beds, etc. One day a guest will probably sleep there, but that hasnít happened yet.
The OP is asking about a Cedar Creek 5th wheel and posted this in the Cedar Creek sub-forum.
Pretty sure they have hydraulic levelers, not stabilizers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:06 PM   #7

I donít think you need to level. I keep my 5th wheel at an indoor storage facility. The facility moves the unit with a fork lift so I obviously only lower the landing gear.

I typically have the front lower than level so when they lift it with the fork lift that just gives a little more top clearance when they take it into the storage building. Iíve been doing this with our FR CC 33IK for 6 years with no issues.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I donít think you need to level. I keep my 5th wheel at an indoor storage facility. The facility moves the unit with a fork lift so I obviously only lower the landing gear.

I typically have the front lower than level so when they lift it with the fork lift that just gives a little more top clearance when they take it into the storage building. Iíve been doing this with our FR CC 33IK for 6 years with no issues.
I also storage my CC 36CK2 at an indoor facility with only the front jacks down. They don't move it at all as there is nothing for them to get out from behind it and they don't have any equipment to move them with. Though they do have to fire up and move Class A's that they store in front of the 5th wheels when we need to get our 5er's in/out of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanster View Post
I park it level with stabilizers down. Dedicated, level, parking next to the garage. Only do this with the thought of going in/out the days before and after a trip to pack/unpack the fridge, make/unmake beds, etc. One day a guest will probably sleep there, but that hasnít happened yet.
When I bring it home I level it as I plan on opening/closing slides as we clean it and prepare for a trip. Don't want to open slides without it being level.

l and be safe -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190824_153618.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	259746  

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Many folks purposely park non-level so the water runs off.
x2

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:18 AM   #10

We store at home, and only use the landing gear....even over the winter months.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #11
New Jammer

To level or not

Short term I only use the front jacks to level--slide ops ect. Longer storage I level up all around to take some load off the tires and axles and present more difficulties for thieves. After long term storage I wipe the jacks with a clean rag and ATF to preserve jack seals and remove dirt, gum and corrosion. Cedar Creek Silverback.
mikewindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #12

I have a concrete patio where I store mine. Which is level then just use tongue jack for front to back.
2021rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #13

Another perspective to leveling..

I just lowered the leveling jacks enough to take some weight off the suspension.

Long 8 month ordeal story short.
Had a vibration on a Winni Aspect 28B at lower speeds felt/sounded like really bad cupped tires, only it was coming from the rear/middle of the MH.
Brought into a Ford heavy truck/MH repair place.
After test drive they said it was the rear leaf springs were sagging causing the driveline to vibrate.
2010 Ford E450 chassis.with 22K on the OD. They ordered up new rear leaf springs from Ford.
Once old ones removed and setting side by side with the new leaf springs there was a big height difference.
Once new ones installed MH sat just about 1 inch higher in the rear.

Didn't fix the vibration, that's for another story , but helped with what looked like the rear of the MH sagging.

So from then on everytime I parked/stored it I would use the auto levelers to get just abit of weight off the suspension. I had a concrete pad so the MH sat pretty level .
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:12 AM   #14

It absoluteley doesn't matter if you level or not when storing. Geeesh, the things folks worry about.....
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:19 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
It absoluteley doesn't matter if you level or not when storing. Geeesh, the things folks worry about.....
Agreed.
Look at the units on factory/dealer lots. They sit there sometimes for months. I've never heard anyone say... "oh, I can't buy this unit, it's sat here on the lot unlevel."
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:40 AM   #16

I park my trailer just enough out of level to let rain and air conditioner water drain off the roof and/or the coupler at a convenient height to hook up to the truck. Other than that it's cosmetic not structural.

No need for leveling jacks -- 'cuz leveling isn't necessary -- and for light weight trailers I'd never put the stabilizers down as they're not designed to support any weight.

-- Chuck

-- Chuck
Old 07-31-2021, 02:18 PM   #17

Side note. For extended period of time, more than a few weeks, I use hydraulic jacks to lift a bit of weight of the tires, to prevent the sidewalls from flatten out, this naturally levels the rig. Rig does not really need to be level, but I like to distribute the weight.
Additionally, I make sure that I have max air in tires as recommended by place cards on rig.
Goodyear has more specific recommendations on their web site abouth tire storge on rv.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #18

With our old TT, I always parked it slightly off level, as some others have mentioned, with the stabilizer jacks down. We could store it at home and the stabilizers just helped keep it from moving around so much in the wind (and whenever the creek overflowed).

Moved and got a newer TT. Have an HOA so canít park it at home. Have it parked in a covered storage lot, still putting down the stabilizers out of habit. Left it sitting there over the winter a little too long and the batteries died (turns out the dealer didnít wire things the way they said they had, thank you!). I was going to tow it over to the house anyway to clean it up, so no problem, Iíll just work the tongue jack with the hand crank. Oops, these stabilizers are electric, not manual like the old ones, and I couldnít figure out how to lift them manually. Had to pull the batteries, take them home to charge and then bring them back and reinstall into the TT. Now I leave the stabilizers upin storage.

Paul & Sherida Hodel and Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo and the family's prized possession!
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS, 570 watts of solar + 300 AH of Battle Borne lithium batteries.
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:47 PM   #19

Hand crank?!

Plug into your truck and your electric jacks and stabilizers will work. Engine may have to be running (probably).

-- Chuck
Old 08-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #20

Also realize that you can't legally tow without a good coach battery, as it is required to energize the brakes in the event of a trailer separation from the tow vehicle.
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote