Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #21

No havenít repaired as of yet. Just went into the gel coat. Actually just touched up with a sharpie ( cap is black) Lol! Will get it done when I get home.No not going to rally. Heading to Bristol Tenn. for NASCAR race.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #22

Thanks everyone for the help. Just got back after 1200 plus miles and not a mark on the cap. Aired up the trailair about 5 lbs over what I normally do and all is good!
Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #23

Just saw this thread.

Mine also has two gouge marks on the side of the Retrax cover. I guess I am not paying attention enough, because on my trip last few weeks I saw what's causing it. The Trailair kingpin has two diagonal support pieces, integral to the kingpin, that are gouging the rails. It's only because of those side pieces, though. Someone told me that they saw some folks cutting them out, but that seems extreme.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #24

We were at the FROG Rally in Goshen, IN. A couple of the CC techs that were servicing a unit near us said they haven't ever seen this issue before. I went around and checked a couple of other 36CK2's and didn't see anyone that had damage. What I did notice on the new display units was that there was more clearance between cap and the hitch. Most everybody had about 3 inches where I only have about 1-1/2 inches.

Denise Davis (CC warranty) because of this and other issues we are having with the unit asked if we wanted to bring it back to the factory and we said we would be happy to do that. They lined up Orvan Fry (Amish Family RV) to do the work. Orvan looked at it and felt the cap was too far forward and he is anticipating to have to move it back.

I did talk with some people who said the guy who had the unit next to them had moved his cap back himself. Didn't get around to all the units but those that I did check had more clearance or the bolts were out in front of the cap then it was on my unit.

We're scheduled to take it to Orvan on Nov 6th.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #25

Hate to tell you but if that happens you most likely have pin box frame issues. I have seen this happen to others. Happy to say we are on our 3rd Cedar Creek and have not had any frame issues.

But as said your pin box should not move ANY if it is something is starting to crack one can't see the pin box frame above the pinbox to bad you can't. I would keep a close eye on that and get it checked.

One way to see is hook up and when you raise the front landing gear have someone watching and see it the pin box moves up any it should not if it does you have frame issues.
brucec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec View Post
Hate to tell you but if that happens you most likely have pin box frame issues. I have seen this happen to others. Happy to say we are on our 3rd Cedar Creek and have not had any frame issues.

But as said your pin box should not move ANY if it is something is starting to crack one can't see the pin box frame above the pinbox to bad you can't. I would keep a close eye on that and get it checked.

One way to see is hook up and when you raise the front landing gear have someone watching and see it the pin box moves up any it should not if it does you have frame issues.
I'm sure Orvan will check out to see if there are any frame issues when we have our unit at his shop for repairs in Nov.

2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Old 09-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I'm sure Orvan will check out to see if there are any frame issues when we have our unit at his shop for repairs in Nov.
Yes, tell him explicitly to check for Kingpin cracking or movement. He has the equipment to do it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #28

Before concluding you have a frame issue check into a little further, I posted early on in this thread with the same issue. So while watching the hitch take the load it did in fact move up about 1/4". The Pin Box did not move at all (I marked with tape as a ref point). The hitch did not move at all at the bolt points on the pin box as I had mark those points well. The hitch itself is doing the flexing! The 2 bolts that are hitting the cap were in my case unnecessarily too long/high so I have cut them down to about 1/4" above the locking nut, no further contact after that. While camping this past week I made a point of checking out 5ers with other hitches, no other designs I found put bolts so close to the underbelly of the cap. This hitch by virtue of the air bag design places itself and the bolts very close to the cap. The moral of this story is to take the time and check it out, you most likely do not have a frame or pin box issue. Hope this helps
Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkochel View Post
Before concluding you have a frame issue check into a little further, I posted early on in this thread with the same issue. So while watching the hitch take the load it did in fact move up about 1/4". The Pin Box did not move at all (I marked with tape as a ref point). The hitch did not move at all at the bolt points on the pin box as I had mark those points well. The hitch itself is doing the flexing! The 2 bolts that are hitting the cap were in my case unnecessarily too long/high so I have cut them down to about 1/4" above the locking nut, no further contact after that. While camping this past week I made a point of checking out 5ers with other hitches, no other designs I found put bolts so close to the underbelly of the cap. This hitch by virtue of the air bag design places itself and the bolts very close to the cap. The moral of this story is to take the time and check it out, you most likely do not have a frame or pin box issue. Hope this helps
When we were at the International Rally in Goshen this past August, I checked a few things out.
1. The clearance between the top of the hitch and the bottom of the cap (CBHB) on my unit is about 1 1/2 inches and the bolts are under the front of the cap.
2. The CBHB on the 2020 36CK2 on display at the Rally was about 3 to 3 1/2 inches with bolts under the cap.
3. I tried checking several other 36CK2's and found most all had the same 3 to 3 1/2 inches of CBHB with bolts under the cap.
4. Saw a unit where I was told the owner had moved the cap back so the bolts were no longer under the cap.
5. When Orvan looked at my unit at the rally, he tried to look in where the pin box goes up behind the cap to the frame I believe to see if the hitch was defective. However I don't think he saw anything unusual. He did feel the cap needed to be moved back and would be doing that when I take my unit to him in Nov.

I thought about filing the studs down to the nuts after I found the issue but felt CC needed to see it without me tinkering with it.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:04 PM   #30

Similar issue with my 2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2. After a particularly rough ride from Maine to Pennsylvania, found that both bolt ends had punctured the bottom of the cap by a quarter inch or more. Some gel coat damage around the holes. Put white duct tape over the holes for the rest of the ride to Florida, no additional impacts, the tape was clean. Lippert has started a case file for me, but recommends taking it to a dealer to be checked out, possible weld cracking. I have 1.5 inches from top of bolts to bottom of front cap, 2 inches from top of hitch to bottom of cap.Click image for larger version

Name:	64353468.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	218428
stesmi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stesmi52 View Post
Similar issue with my 2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2. After a particularly rough ride from Maine to Pennsylvania, found that both bolt ends had punctured the bottom of the cap by a quarter inch or more. Some gel coat damage around the holes. Put white duct tape over the holes for the rest of the ride to Florida, no additional impacts, the tape was clean. Lippert has started a case file for me, but recommends taking it to a dealer to be checked out, possible weld cracking. I have 1.5 inches from top of bolts to bottom of front cap, 2 inches from top of hitch to bottom of cap.Attachment 218428
Exactly what mine looks like. Unit is going to Orvan Fry (Amish Family RV) in Indiana next week where he will work on correcting this issue. When I pick it up, it's going into storage. But I will check it when I get it back to Illinois to see if any further issue and try to remember to report to this thread on what he did to fix it.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
Exactly what mine looks like. Unit is going to Orvan Fry (Amish Family RV) in Indiana next week where he will work on correcting this issue. When I pick it up, it's going into storage. But I will check it when I get it back to Illinois to see if any further issue and try to remember to report to this thread on what he did to fix it.
Little Bill, how did Amish Family RV do on your rig? We go see them early October.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Little Bill, how did Amish Family RV do on your rig? We go see them early October.
Orvan did great. No more problem with holes from the bolts in the front cap as he moved the new cap back from where the old one was set. Took to Florida the first of the year for 2 months and nothing occurred regarding the front cap.

If this is your first trip to see Orvan, I am sure you will be pleased. I took mine back to him again in June for other issues and more enhancements.

Good luck and be safe.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #34

Sounds great . That's what I thought the fix would be. About how long did it take?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:10 AM   #35

I have eth Flex air Trail air system and before I installed it with my wife helping we drove through a few RV lots locally and looked for the units with similar setups. we noticed some were mounted higher and some were bolted lower on trailer. those bolted higher had the wear in the cap signs. we bolted ours the next set of holes down.
I also noticed some had fewer bolts attaching the unit to the trailer than others. we used max # of bolts to secure.
no issues after several thousand KMS.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Sounds great . That's what I thought the fix would be. About how long did it take?
I believe my unit was at Orvan's for a week to have everything done. I had about 36 warranty issues (not all big issues) and 18 enhancements (some were involved) for him to do. It was OK by me that he had it that long as I knew all the issues I had at that time would be taken care of. His shop is right at 3 hrs from my home (138 miles one way) and it was fairly easy to make the round trip in one day, so no overnight stay.