Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #1
Jeffco, MO

TV Rear Tire Pressure

The placard on my GMC 2500HD states the rear tire pressure should be 70 psi, front 60 psi. The Goodyear Wrangler sidewall states the max pressure is 80 psi.
Should I increase my rear tire pressure from 70 to 80 when I am hitched to my Silverback?
I do keep the pressure on the Silverback tires at 80 psi as stated on its label.

When I weighed my GMC and Silverback, I am close to the max rear axle rating. Interesting that my GMC manual states i can pull 17,100# fifth wheel. If one would consider that the hitch weight would be 16.4% of that max weight, you would match the payload of 2800#, but there is still the weight of the hitch itself and any other items in the truck bed. Interesting. I am glad I am pulling about 12000#.

Still, I am curious about the air pressure in the rear tires. Also should I up the front tires also?

Thanks to all the forum tire experts.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
Just a member

The tire pressure info on the placard/label represent manufacturer recommended tire pressures that allow the vehicle to be safely operated up to the GVWR. The tire pressure number on the sidewall indicate the max pressure for that specific tire and will be accompanied by an associated load (lbs). Typically, the max load for individual or sets of tires far exceed the axle rating/s of the vehicle. 80 PSI certainly won't hurt but you should be fine too with the 70 PSI listed on the label.

Max trailer tow weights listed by TV manufacturers only work in the land of Nirvana. These weight proclamations have little utility in the real world we camp in.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #3

Mine calls for 80psi and that is what I run (rear) towing my 2015, 36 ft Silverback.
70 front. Never any issues. Tows like it is not there. Had similar tires on same truck 2500 Dodge, same pressures, 80/70 psi, thousands of miles x USA pulling a 2011, triple slide, 36ft Keystone. Only took tires off due to being 6 years old. Looked great. Looks on tires can be deceiving!
I ONLY USE MY DODGE FOR TOWING. if it were an around town vehicle, I would lower the pressure to soften the ride.
Hope that info validates your concern.
Safe travels.
SilverbackMel
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Keep in mind the door sticker is for the oem tires and are for ride comfort, not for hauling. Run the rears to max stated by GY and the fronts to 70 would be my recommendation.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #5

On my Silverado 3500HD the door jam says 60 in the front and 80 in the rear and that's what I run. I had a 08 Silverado and that's what I ran in that truck and between the two about 130,000 miles and never no problems. I pulled a 10,000lb TT with the 08 and the 12 Silverado 3500 I pulled a Wildcat Sterling and two Cedar Creeks. Never a flat or a blowout. Now that being said on the 3500 I first thing I installed was a TPMS. A 3/4 ton comes standard with a TPMS, a 1 ton does not

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

I had a GMC Sierra, 2001, Duramax, 3/4 ton,cc, 4x4, short box and now I have a GMC Sierra, 2011, Duramax 1 ton dually, cc, 4x4, long box. On the door jam it said 80 rear 60 front. When I tow it is 80 all around and the old truck was the same. When I'm not towing it is 50/55 psi all around depending on the time of day that I lower the air pressure. . These trucks have/had hard suspensions therefore the lower air pressure for me. The ride is more comfortable for us. I am always checking the tires for odd wear and nothing on the old truck and nothing on the present one. I had/have Michelins on the trucks from the get go. I tow a 35 ft 5th wheel
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

OK then I will copy it again here.

Need it from car and 5thwh and want to know if you use a Weight distribution hich.

Tirepressure advice is all about load on tire and speed ( and sometimes about alighnment - camber angle).

So if you can give details of car and tires , I can calculate an advice pressure with some reserve for things like, pressure-loss in time, unequall loading R/L, incidental extra load, misreadings of pressure scales,and misyudging of weight, etc.

This is from tires next and can be read from sidewall:
Maximum load or loadindex.
Kind of tire to determine the AT-pressure/pressure needed for the maximum load up to maximum speed of tire, or if lower 160km/99m/h/reference-pressure, wich is not the maximum pressure of tire.
Maximum speed of tire, most given as letter ( Q=160km/99m/h,N=140km/86m/h fi)
If you have offroad or tires looking like that , with large profile blocs that cover a part of sidewall, also mention, they are allowed lesser deflection then a normal road tire, then the tire maker used to determine the maximum load (to my conclusion the case for the Bridgestone tires on Ford Explorer in the Ford/Firestone affaire).
If you cant find all of it give sises of tire and Loadkind, then I will google for it.

From car next and mostly can be found on same plate as the original pressure advices:
GAWR and GVWR ( Gross Axle/Vehicle Weight Rating)
But best would be to determine the real weights in your use on seperate tires or estimate it as acurate as possible, by weighing per wheel(pair) or axle.
Maximum speed , you dont go over for even a minute in your use, eventually different for different situations, for instance when towing or fully loaded.This apart from trafic regulations, if you drive faster then allowed give that speed. Nature punnisches with tire-failure, police only with a penalty.
Give all that and I will calculate and give a picture of one of my filled in spreadsheets in my answer.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #8

I don't weigh my truck I just go by what the door jam says

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
Jeffco, MO

TV Rear tire pressure

Thanks for all the info, especially SilverbackMel and OldCoot who have have excellent experience.
I will go with 80 psi in the rear and 70 psi in the front when I am towing my Silverback 33IK fifth wheel.
I do like the ride of 70 and 60 when I am not towing.

Hope to meet you all at Goshen later this week and next.
Thanks again.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Jeffco, MO

For jadatis. My TV has OEM tires, Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT 265/70R18 Load E
My TV and RV are shown in my signature.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
Old 08-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #11

I thinks that's very interesting, all the differences in tire pressure for a 3/4 ton truck. Our tow vehicle is a 2004 Chevy Duramx diesel 4X4, crew cab, short bed. On the door sticker of our truck, the only sticker you're supposed to go by according to most things I've seen and read, it says if empty or fully loaded, 55 in the front and 80 in the back. Not towing I keep it still 55 up front but 65 in the back. I also have a set of the Firestone air bags in back for really heavy loads.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #12

I was told by the service mgr at Ram dealership who also is an RV-er to run 80...the Max load for the tire. He said the placard value of 70 was based on a nominal level for hi load ride comfort and is also where the TPMS is calibrated.

I've run both and can actually feel an improved towing ride with 80 over 70 which is what I run now.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #13

I guess I'll buck the trend here as far as responses. Granted I have a dually, but I run tire pressure per weight chart not by max pressure as stated on a sidewall. If I were to run max pressure as stated on sidewall, I'd wear the center tread off long before the tread towards the outer edge. I think door sticker is next best pressure if you don't go by a load chart. Bumping tire pressure up to max sidewall number is just guessing. If you think ride is too rough at manufacturer recommended pressure when unloaded ... drop it down 5 - 10 lbs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post
For jadatis. My TV has OEM tires, Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT 265/70R18 Load E
My TV and RV are shown in my signature.
I would rather have you to collect the needed data for me , because I am not that familiar with American cars and towing things, so googling will end in wrong data from for instance a other year or model.

Tire data you gave are enaugh , but handy would be if you can find maximum speed on sidewall , probably N=max 140km/86m/h.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire