Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #1

Two Grey tanks

I have a 2018 34RL2. It has two grey tanks and CC lists capacity of 80 gallons. I assume this means two 40 gallon tanks. If I have a Valterra waste gate on the outlet and keep it closed and open both grey valves would I have access to all 80 gallons for the shower? Seems like this would work but don't want any surprises. Anybody ever do this in an equivalent 5er? I know some people have had the tanks connected but don't have time to have that done before trip. I do have a tote but feeling lazy right now Thanks.
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #2

If it set up like our Flagstaff 29RKWS, you have one 40 gal grey tank for the shower and lavatory and the other tank is for the galley. Two separate tanks. I would recommend looking carefully as to how the plumbing is routed to avoid any surprises.

Jim

Jim & Brenda
USMC Vet.
Asst. Fire Chief - Ret.
2018 RAM 3500 CC DRW
2017 Flagstaff Super Lite 29RKBS
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #3

We do that on our CC Hathaway. Love those state parks with just 30 amp service and no sewer or drain. Tie the two grays together with the valve on the drain connection.

We also put the first dish washing water(Rubbermaid pan) from the sink in the toilet. Hardly anyone puts enough water and soap in there.

Gray water is usually the issue.

Usually the DW can then run a load of laundry before we leave. She likes to get home with clean clothes.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #4

Our 37MBH has 2 grey tanks as well. When we first bought it, I used food coloring mixed with water to determine which drain went to which tank. For our rig, the shower and the galley are on the same tank. The 2nd grey tank is for the bathroom sink and a washing machine drain. We don't have a washing machine so needless to say, that tank having only the small bathroom sink attached doesn't fill up very fast with hand washing and teeth brushing. We always go to full hookup parks so never had a need to couple both grey tanks together.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
We do that on our CC Hathaway. Love those state parks with just 30 amp service and no sewer or drain. Tie the two grays together with the valve on the drain connection.

We also put the first dish washing water(Rubbermaid pan) from the sink in the toilet. Hardly anyone puts enough water and soap in there.

Gray water is usually the issue.

Usually the DW can then run a load of laundry before we leave. She likes to get home with clean clothes.
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear that it works. Yep, going to a state park and 80 gallons will be more than enough but 40 probably wouldn't be.

Good suggestion about soapy water in black tanks, never thought of that.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #6

it will work as long as both gray tanks drain through the same sewer outlet that you will be closing with the valterra valve. we do that on our cardinal. all gray water drains into one 40 gallon tank and the the 40 gallon gray tank is dedicated to the washer that we don't have. we actually leave the valterra on all the time. it holds back anything thagt has leaked out of any tank when we uncap the sewer cover,
Old 08-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #7

Thanks to everybody for the responses. Wasn't sure if I was missing something with my plan. Very nice to know this is being done. Dan
Old 08-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #8

Just like jd4010, one of our 40 gal grey tanks on our 36ck2 handles the shower and gallery while the other 40 gal grey tank handles the bathroom sink and the washing machine (which we also don't have).

When I had my unit at Orvan's in June, he asked (being that I don't have a washing machine) if I wanted to seperate the shower from the galley and change it to the tank with the bathroom sink. I chose not to as we may end up with a washing machine sometime in the future.

We stay at sites with full hookups and I leave the shower/galley grey tank valve open most all the time. I do have a shutoff valve on the end of my dump line, but I have never tried to combine the two grey's.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #9

Valterra waste gate-YES!

We have a 2020 34IK. No washer/drier (yet) so 'bath' tank only gets used for tooth brushing and shaving. Tank rarely fills.

Galley tank fills quickly: shower, kitchen sink, dishwasher.

Valterra waste gate is a life saver! Gives access to ALL 80 gallons grey water capacity. Use it when we are not at a full hook up park. Just remember to dump your black tank FIRST because BOTH grey tanks will drain together and not individually using the waste gate.
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #10

close all valves (black, 2 gray, valterra). open valterra - a little gray that was in the pipes will drain. open black, open one gray, open other gray. let everything drain. close black and valterra.

Tags
tank