Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Upgrading to a Trailair pinbox

Hello Folks,

We have decided to upgrade our standard pinbox to a Trailair pinbox for our 2014 Silverback 31RK. We have put about 2000 miles our 31RK and although the "chucking" is not too bad especially if I load up the rig to provide a lot of pin weight, we feel the ride will be more enjoyable if we can reduce the movement we feel. It is especially bad on concrete highways that have not so smooth seams so we avoid those if we can.

The question I have for past Goshen attendees is, should we wait until the rally to get a good bargain on product and install, or is there really no bargains to be had on this type of upgrade?

Thanks,
Ken
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

I attended last yr and did NOT see any hitch upgrades as I recall. If there are, see if you can get help on install vs taking it home and finding help or tackling it yourself.
Before, taking me as a final word. WAIT for more responses. I may be wrong.
I will say I have TrailAir on my 2015 Silverback and it pulls like a beautiful dream. I pulled x country 2 years ago with a std hitch and same size fiver, 36 ft triple slide. NIGHT AND DAY COMPARISON ON TOW!!
Both RV's were comparable pin wgt.
Just changed because of floor plan.
🏁
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

I will not have another fifth wheel without one. I put a fifth airborne cause they delivered to my house and was $100 cheaper.

Just make sure FR will honor it as warranty is in place. Mine was out of warranty and not the original owner and their EMail was to address that I had changed from a stiff to air ride voided any attempt at warranty. Not going to slam FR but the email is posted on the forum.

Their lost in my opinion. The guys I worked with bought different manufacturers for that reason. I will make the XLR line beat the others or I will leave too. Just business. My money and I will spend where I get the best and get treated the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Just make sure FR will honor it as warranty is in place. Mine was out of warranty and not the original owner and their EMail was to address that I had changed from a stiff to air ride voided any attempt at warranty. Not going to slam FR but the email is posted on the forum.
The above quoted suggestion is good advice but not accurate. If one was to read the paragraph in your warranty that begins with "Exclusions" one would find that the first item listed is the chassis. This translates to; FR has nothing to do with the type of pin box you choose. The chassis is made by LCI. To find what will not void your chassis warranty, I suggest anyone interested in an aftermarket pinbox contact LCI Customer Service at 574-537-8900 or email them at warranty@lci1.com or you might try aftermarket@lci1.com as they have the AirRide pin box which is their version of the TrailAir (which they bought).
Old 05-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #5

I purchased my Trail-Air with the Tri-Glide jaw at a SOB National Rally in Goshen in 2011 for$525.00 out the door. I did my own install by setting it on my tailgate on some wooden blocks and using the front jacks on my trailer to raise or lower my rig until it lined up. Very easy one person job. I would check and see if they are offering any deals. If not shop it online. $525.00 was a crazy price and I doubt you will see it again..I see no reason for it to cause a warranty issue as it is offered as an option when you order new. Smooth riding!
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I bought 2 from the link below. Night and day difference. Just make sure you have the correct pinbox # before ordering. My Wildcat and my friends Montana took the one listed, a 1621.
http://www.adventurerv.net/ultra-fab...s-p-14217.html
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:59 AM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1432634130.571354.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	78089

Just to clear it up I only spoke with FR. I was very aware of the Lippert frame. It wasn't worth my time and headache.

If I had to do it again I would have a piece of paper work to honor the change on a new camper with warranty left on it.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman77 View Post
Hello Folks,

We have decided to upgrade our standard pinbox to a Trailair pinbox for our 2014 Silverback 31RK. We have put about 2000 miles our 31RK and although the "chucking" is not too bad especially if I load up the rig to provide a lot of pin weight, we feel the ride will be more enjoyable if we can reduce the movement we feel. It is especially bad on concrete highways that have not so smooth seams so we avoid those if we can.

The question I have for past Goshen attendees is, should we wait until the rally to get a good bargain on product and install, or is there really no bargains to be had on this type of upgrade?

Thanks,
Ken
Ken;
When did you buy the trailer? If purchased new in 2014 the warranty is over unless you purchased the extended two year warranty. This to will be over very soon depending on date of purchase. So go for the new Trailair pin box.

I also installed a Trailair Ride Pin box on my trailer that I traded in on for our CC34RL. The installation is easy and can be done by just you but it is nice to have an extra hand when doing the install.

You will need to know the dimension of the current pin box and or the part number on the box to order the correct size for the replacement. I also used plated hardware during the install since the Trailair pin box requires you to use the existing mounting hardware.

I ordered the Trailair pin box as a factory option when I ordered our new CC34RL this year. One of the best option on the price list.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #9

Ken,

We got ours at the LCI vendor booth at the big FROG rally (Goshen) last year. Not only got a pretty good price, but they brought it to our trailer and installed it at no additional cost. Love it - big difference in the ride.

Skip
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #10

Ken,

We got out Trailair Tri-Glide pin box from the LCI booth at the big FROG rally (Goshen) last year. Got a good price and they brought it to our trailer and installed it. They did that for several other of our club members as well. We love it - big improvement over our stock pin box.

Skip
Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #11

Sorry for the double post. Don't know what happened.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #12

First of all I want to thank everyone for the replies. I always can count on this forum for useful information.

Secondly, Jim I did purchase the second year of warranty so I have another 12 months of coverage.

Lastly, what have I learned? I should contact LCI and inquire if they will be at the rally and what price they will charge me for an air pinbox with installation that will not void my warranty. Then take that price and shop around to see if it is a good deal. Also that it is possible to install myself along with a buddy but free install is always nice.

Thanks again,
Ken
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #13

I am sure Lippert will be at the rally, they usually have the largest booth plus the past two years they offered a discount on labor I believe it was $50 a hour, but don't quote me on that plus could have gone up.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have a question for the respondents here. My OEM pinbox is 1621 bolt compatible. As installed at the top holes to bring the nose down, I am towing 1 to 2 inches nose high. When you replaced with the trailair did your nose raise? Ive already adjusted down as much as I can without raising the trailr.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #15

TrailAir

I am almost certain if you did buy at the rally and HAD IT INSTALLED while up there, your warranty would NOT be affected.
I had my 2015 built for my specs that included TrailAir at the factory. I have seen many show units with these hitch boxes.
The only bone they cold ever chew on IS: improper SELF INSTALLATION!
Unless you really screwed it up, and I don't know how you would even be that wrong, they could argue! You are not modifying the frame. You are AIDING THE RIDE!! We are talking bolts and torque, not fabrication....
The ride difference is unbelievable!
Nothing moves in our Silverback.
Go for it!! 😁
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #16

I agree with Mel. With that reason changing tires could be counted as the same. I put new all Grade 8 hardware.

Was just simply saying I would have it documented. I knew it was a long shot for any warrenty work for me. It just blew me away on that excuse. I was kinda expecting not the original owner and over two years old and any warranty expired.

I love my air ride. I did have to cut the plastic trim around pin box to get the fifth airborne to the top holes for level ride. Trail air may be different shape.

You will not regret it either way.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Certified Curmudgeon

Some good points regarding the advantages of an air ride. Also consider that you can can achieve that advantage with a hitch like a Hensley Trailer Saver and not change a darn thing on your trailer. As for the pin box, if you put one on that changes the offset from the frame mount to the king pin center you will change the geometry of the stress on the frame. This is most likely where you can get into "modification" issues. Is it not just easier to get the okey dokey from the folks who have those engineering numbers than to play roulette?

For the Wildcat owner: The important piece is the clearance from your cargo box to the bottom of your overhang. About 6" should keep you off the box. You can lower most hitches (dont know about goose necks) if you need to drop the nose. If you can't lower the hitch or will lose your clearance, you are left with raising the axles on the trailer or lowering your erector set on your TV.