Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #1

Used Silverback extended warranty

Hi there,
We are purchasing a used Silverback that the previous owners used for 2.5 summers. The Dealer is offering for us to purchase 4 years of extended warranty. Just wondering your opinions and experience on whether it is a good idea or a waste of money?

One thought is that the previous owners would have worked all of the bugs out by now. We are aware of 3 items they had service on. Also thinking if anything does go wrong in the next 4 years it won't cost as much to repair as the cost of the warranty.

But then again, it's like purchasing Insurance. You hope you don't need it but you have it if you do.

Just looking to see what others have experienced when purchasing a 2-3 year old camper.
Sneakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

Hi,

I would be tempted to ngotiate the best price and then tell the dealer you will do it if they are confident enough in the rig that they will throw in the warranty at that price point.

Worth a try...

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

I can’t tell you whether or not the extended policy is worth it or not because it depends on too many variables. I will say this, before buying any extended warranty from any company look at the actual written warranty and look for any components that aren’t covered by the policy. Pay very close attention to exclusions.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #4

Also see what the deductible is on each claim. $500 in many cases or more.

My suggestion is put the cost of the warranty in a bank account and don't use it for 4 yrs unless something breaks.
Probably $2,000 to $3,000 I would think they would be asking for a 4 year on a used rig.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

Read the warranty carefully. They are not all created equally.

If the warranty says, "Includes (yada yada yada)" then run. Don't buy. The warranty is likely including only the things that don't break down.

If the warranty says it is all-inclusive except that it "Excludes (yada yada yada) then it could be considered (not necessrily purchased, but can be considered).

Also, google the warranty company for customer reviews. Some warranty companies are very difficult to deal with.

And, are there only certain shops that you can use to have service?

And, do they require an independent auditor to come to the site and look at your RV before each service? I once had a third-party extended warranty like this. It took 3-5 business days to get someone out to look at and approve the repair. When you are on the road, 3-5 business days can be 5-7 calendar days delay just to get repair work started.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

Check out Wholesale Warranty and Coach net for possible better price and coverage.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Most warranties require annual inspection of many things. Example, every year you must bring your rig to a dealer (could be the same dealer?) and have the heater, fridge, AC, roof, stabilizers, etc inspected.serviced and each of these things cost you money. If you must bring it in how long before you get an appointment and how long will they keep it must be a consideration. DO NOT believe the dealer if he says he can do the inspections/service the same day.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #8

Thanks for all the comments so far. Bringing up a few things I hadn't considered. The deductible is only $50 if we go to one of their Dealers (in 3 different Provinces). If we go to a dealer anywhere else in Canada or US it is $100 deductible. It actually includes a lot so items. Basically doesn't includes bulbs, fabric, carpet, damage you do like backing into a tree.
Sneakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #9

Are you buying from P. Acres in S'side'''''''I have had dealings with them and find them very reliable in N.S.
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #10

I have had mine for many years. Used it three times in the last 12 months. Worth every penny. I have Good Sam. Been with them 14 years. Used on several other 5ers. Been very happy.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #11

I'm with Iggy … take that money you may be forking over and put it in a savings account … you just might have a rainy day fund for something else come 4 years. You have to read warranties very carefully to see just what is actually covered. I don't do extended warranties, but then again, I do most all my repairs myself whether car, truck, boat, or RV. That way I know it's done right.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty