Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2021, 10:41 PM   #1

Weboost cellular booster - good or bad?

We have a 2016 Cedar Creek 34RE 5th wheel. Has anyone had experience using the Weboost Drive RV cellular booster or anything equivalent? I'm trying to figure out the best way to to improve our internet reception and would appreciate any suggestions.
rrolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolphe View Post
We have a 2016 Cedar Creek 34RE 5th wheel. Has anyone had experience using the Weboost Drive RV cellular booster or anything equivalent? I'm trying to figure out the best way to to improve our internet reception and would appreciate any suggestions.
These folks do a fairly good job of explaining and testing cell boosters. The take away is it depends, not a solid yes or no but rather what are you looking to do on the internet. In another review of cell boosters, can't find it now, the rebroadcast signal was good for roughly 3 feet from the rebroadcast antenna. Since the DW has a need to work from the camper on occasions, and needs a solid upload and download connection so I went with an external directional antenna with a jetpack/hotspot.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:31 AM   #3

Do cell phone boosters really work? Yes, they do. But cell phone boosters can only BOOST weak cellular 4G, LTE, and 3G signal. They CAN'T CREATE cellular signal nor do they boost landline WiFi signal
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
The first question is: how does your internet work where you have good reception?

As mentioned, cell boosters boost CELLULAR signal but cannot improve internet speeds if they are already slow through your plan or carrier.

One of the most important things (and at times, hard to do in a R/V) is maintaining the distance needed between the antenna and the inside repeater/booster but cell boosters do work and WeBoost is often mentioned in internet forums. Wilson Electronics/Amplifiers is a well known company in the industry.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=27
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #5

We have one and like it. We have our antenna mounted to the top of the ladder and rotate it down when we are in travel. Coax wire is thin so we have it run through the back window. Used a dremel with a grinding attachment to make a round notch in the window frame and screen frame. The trick with these is separation between the receiving antenna and the inside transmitting antenna. We use it primarily for internet access. We literally lay the hotspot phone up against the transmitter. It can only "boost" what is already out there. Having said that, we have had luck restarting the antenna in the hotspot phone to force it to unlock from a weaker signal so that it can pick up the boosted signal. On this summers trip to Door county, T-Mobile was the weaker signal so our phones were always locking to ATT 3G whenever we walked around the campground. Back in the Creek I would turn our hotspot phone to airplane mode to shut off the antenna and then would "restart" the antenna when it was up against the Weboost transmitter. Now we were getting LTE T-Mobile. No issues streaming Netflix or internet surfing.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:36 AM   #6

We use corner under slideout to bring antenna cable into the camper.
We use fiberglass painter pole from HD to get antenna above the AC unit for better coverage. Pole is affixed to the back ladder using a ball bungee
Yagi antenna works better if you know where the cell tower for your provider is.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I have a weBoost Drive 4G-M Cell Phone Booster which works well with my AT&T phone. It only helps if you already have "poor services - 1 bar". It will boost that to 2-3 bars and keep the phone from dropping calls. If you are using your phone as an internet hotspot it will also improve the internet speed/performance in fringe cellphone areas. It does not help if you have a good signal on your phone.

As was said before - it does not help with WiFi in the campground.
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
rfifer

I have one that I use for a particular campsite I like to visit for a short, get-away weekend. The cell signal there is very weak and fluctuating. The Weboost has helped to stabilize and strengthen the cell reception. I have a cell phone modem for my laptop which is connected via HDMI to our TV (laptop to TV input). We can pick up virtually all of the networks that we pay an additional fee for our sat. service.

Two things to be aware of. First, the Weboost does not always increase the number of bars. It will increase signal strength if there is a signal to be had, but the number of bars is a non-standardized measure that varies from phone to phone. There is a number code that can be dialed through your cell phone that will give you signal strength data. The numerical range it will give you goes from -120 dB (decibels) to -30 dB or -40 dB. -40 dB is a very strong signal, and -115 is a signal that is barely there, for example. The information on how to measure signal strength is different for Android and IOS. A search for "measure cell phone signal strength" will lead you to instructions on how to do it.

The second thing is the separation between the outside antenae and the inside antenae. They must be as far apart as possible. More than once I was ready to say some bad words because the amplifier light was red and not green. I finally had success when I placed the external antenae on the rear corner of the trailer (with the receiver portion as high as the external pole will permit) and the internal antenae in the front bedroom.

Once I figured that out, I / we have been very pleased with its operation.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #9

The best

Greeting from Virginia
Purchased the Drive 2 months ago
In short the best around it doubles at a minimum whatever reception you get on your cell service and is quick enough to be able to download movies and watch TV

As you know it’s a bit pricey but well worth the money as we’ve tried and have several other units that are a joke compared to this one

Only caution is that you need to buy the RV antenna which mounts on the latter that’s another cost but it certainly improves receptions versus the Car and Tanner which is included with the set

The only other thing I had in mind was that I need an additional 10 foot exterior cable
Any other questions let me k ow

Steve the sunseeker

QUOTE=rrolphe;2668498]We have a 2016 Cedar Creek 34RE 5th wheel. Has anyone had experience using the Weboost Drive RV cellular booster or anything equivalent? I'm trying to figure out the best way to to improve our internet reception and would appreciate any suggestions.[/QUOTE]
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
I have used my Weboost Drive 4G since Feb 2017 and it works very well. As stated you need some signal for it to boost but it works well for me. I just set my smartphone right next to the inside antenna and use it as a hotspot to my laptop about 6 feet away on the dining table and get much better internet speed than without it. I use the OTR Cellular Truck antenna with it. Both were purchased on Amazon. Once again you must have some signal to boost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weboost_1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	266437   Click image for larger version

Name:	weboost_3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	266438  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #11

WeBoost

How long is the outside antenna wire? We have been using the Drive sleek which works with only one phone at a time. We put one of our phones in hotspot and it has worked very well. We have taken some extended trips out west to National Parks where we were told not to expect cell service and were able to make calls and check emails everywhere we went. Not always able to stream though. We want upgrade to the Drive RV and would like to know when people say to keep distance from inside and outside antennas. How far is good?
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #12

20' of separation is good but more is better. Prevents signal oscillating between inside and outside antennas.
firestorm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
How long is the outside antenna wire? We have been using the Drive sleek which works with only one phone at a time. We put one of our phones in hotspot and it has worked very well. We have taken some extended trips out west to National Parks where we were told not to expect cell service and were able to make calls and check emails everywhere we went. Not always able to stream though. We want upgrade to the Drive RV and would like to know when people say to keep distance from inside and outside antennas. How far is good?
My Outside Antenna is about 6 feet through the wall to my Inside Antenna. My cable is longer running behind cabinets etc but line of sight between antennas is only 6 feet. I don't think it needs to be all that far as some people think. I have never had a problem. I remember it said something in the installation instructions but can't find my manual. The main unit comes with a small outside antenna to stick on your car roof and in a car there is no way your getting very far from the inside antenna. Like I said I have been using it for 4 years and have no issues.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #14

I spent 30 years in Cellular from network design to operation, sales, etc, etc. across 3 continents.

What I'm not sure of with these things is if they boost the signal to the cell, e.g. from the mobile to the booster all the way back to the cell. We know the reverse is true but that doesn't matter.

There is an algorithm in the network which is called a "Proportionally Fair Scheduler". The system assigns you resources based on the signal it is receiving from the mobile and how much data you are asking for. If the system sees the mobile with only a small amount of signal it will parse you out the same small amount of data back. IN that light it assigns resources based on maximizing the throughput of data thru the cell site as to give the greatest grade of serve to the most users.

So even if your booster is sending you a large signal strength the booster itself is getting a small signal strength and hence it is the weakest link in the chain where as it can't give you what it wasn't given itself.

All wireless data works the same way, e.g. the greater the signal strength the higher data you can receive but twice the signal strength doesn't guarantee twice the data especially if the system is loaded with other users.

Any claim that says hey I could barely make a call and now I can watch football after adding the booster is just is false. What you get is what you get and unless your desperate I wouldn't buy one myself based on the price they are asking for them.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #15

Thank you for the theory behind the inner workings of cell phone systems. Now for the reality. They work quite well. The boost is relative to what is out there in signal. That is how mine works in the "real world". Stay with Weboost as they are the leader. Not cheap, but good.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:18 AM   #16

I have a weboost for our metal barn like cabin. We have great signal out side the cabin but we lose at least 2 bars inside to the point that we can’t stream our security cameras.

So we bought a weboost for one room, and we put the antenna up outside and ran it the length of the cabin from one end to the opposite end. So now we have 4 bars inside the cabin again and it works very well for our setup using a hotspot as the network and SimpliSafe as the main security.

So it’s good to see how you folks are using it on your Coach’s. I’ll have to check that out next year.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:20 AM   #17

Our house has a metal roof and Hardiplank exterior walls not the best thing for getting indoor cell signal. Sometimes we could make and receive calls inside other times nada and would have to go outside and forget streaming. I installed a HiBoost 10k booster system and have the outside Yagi receiver mounted on a 28' pole. One of my reasons for doing this was that we had crappy DSL about 15 mps which was fine when it worked, there lots of times when it was down. Verizon started offering Home LTE internet to us who live in Fly Over Country but needed better signal inside. The HiBoost gave us that phones work great and the Home LTE gets 50 mps. I've thought about adding a booster to the 5er because we stream from our phones but, there has been only a few occasions when we didn't have good enough signal when traveling. One thing I do know is that boosters work.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #18

Quote:
I used one last summer in my stationary RV. I had 1 bar of service. I was hoping for 2 bars after hooking it up. Nothing changed. Service didn’t improve at all. I was sorely disappointed.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #19

Quote:
We have had one for a couple of years. We definitely get 1-2 bars of improved signals in most conditions. Don't expect a fantastic difference but it does help.
FRFreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #20
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfifer View Post
I have one that I use
<clip>
The second thing is the separation between the outside antenae and the inside antenae. They must be as far apart as possible.
<clip>
To remove the interference between the outside antenna, booster (electronics) and the inside antenna, you can use a small sheet of aluminum (or galvanized) roof flashing. Mine is approximately 18x14 inches and is placed on the outside antenna pole betweent the outside antenna and the location of the booster and/or inside antenna. Metal reflects the signals, effectively blocking the radio frequency signal between the components.
Directional antennas receive and broadcast in specific direction and will have most of the signal go towards the direction of the antenna. But there is also some signal that eminates from the "rear" of the antenna so you want to block that also if it is in line with the booster.
Specific to my installation (at my residence), the booster also was generating a signal that my TV antenna was picking up and distrupting the TV signal. Again, I placed a sheet of flashing between the TV antenna (directional) and the booster.

If you want Internet, consider moving to StarLink satellite. We've were (are?) beta testers and have had it for over a year and it is better than the cable internet I had at my office. They initally stated that you couldn't move the location of the satellite dish, but their plans are to remove that restriction and allow you to move to different locations in the future.

Tags
booster