Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #61

We have a 40 ft Cardinal and pull it with a 1 ton GMC dually with a B&W 5th wheel hitch. Love it all.
bb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDMeyer View Post
It's possible that you know the tests that I referred to here.. It's also true that the participants of the annual competition know about the contest, and they also are very aware of the parameters of the comparison. Each company sends the vehicle they choose to compete against the other two manufacturers. If Dodge has a better 3500 setup for this annual competition they certainly laid an egg by not sending. This failure speaks volumes about Dodge.

It's true that Ford has the highest payload. If this is the factor by which you select your TV then you will obviously go with the F350. However if tow capacity is not the factor then I personally would rather have a heavier TV.

I have owned two Dodge Rams. The fact is that I would never even consider another Dodge.

I compare mine and other 2004 Silverados to Dodge and Ford trucks the same age. The Dodge trucks have way more rust than my Silverado.

The originator of this post says that his towing experience is limited. I think it wise to go with a TV that can save your butt on the steep grades. The GM Duramax surpassed both Ford and The Dodge Cummins. Actually the Cummins hardly competed in this test.

The test scored on how many times the driver had to press the brake pedal to keep the rig at or less than 55 mph on a grade. The Duramax required no braking from the driver. The Dodge needed continued braking by the driver.
If it is on the internet it must be true :-), the test that I seen ford and ram sent a truck comparable to the lowest common denominator which was the chevy/gmc rear-end, so no the test were not apples to apples, I have a 2014 ram 3500 cc diesel with engine brake, my payload is just shy of 4500lbs, when I came down out of the rocky's pulling close to 14K (5th wh and motorcycle trailer) the only time I had to tap my brakes is when the cars in front of me slowed down. Chevy/GMC has less CCC and GVW between the big 3, Also I have a friend that has a GMC and it is a POS, not saying they all are but his sure is.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #63

If you are considering a Chevy or a GMC, you may want to wait until the redesign in 2019.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/gmc-s...year-finalist/
Fireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:48 AM   #64
Road Trippin

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but check on the towing laws for the state your vehicles will be registered. Some states may require you to get a special licence to tow your trailer and may require you to take a driving/safery test with it. They also may require an inspection to make sure you have all the proper equipment. Just like with semi truck drivers. I just recently sold my 38ft fifth wheel and bought a new RV. Bought my 5er back in 2007. Salesman never told me I needed a special licence for my state because of the weight. Didn't find out until a few years ago. My ignorance, I know. Glad I never got stopped or in an accident. It was my first 5er that big and just never knew.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDMeyer View Post
It's possible that you know the tests that I referred to here.. It's also true that the participants of the annual competition know about the contest, and they also are very aware of the parameters of the comparison. Each company sends the vehicle they choose to compete against the other two manufacturers. If Dodge has a better 3500 setup for this annual competition they certainly laid an egg by not sending. This failure speaks volumes about Dodge.

It's true that Ford has the highest payload. If this is the factor by which you select your TV then you will obviously go with the F350. However if tow capacity is not the factor then I personally would rather have a heavier TV.

I have owned two Dodge Rams. The fact is that I would never even consider another Dodge.

I compare mine and other 2004 Silverados to Dodge and Ford trucks the same age. The Dodge trucks have way more rust than my Silverado.

The originator of this post says that his towing experience is limited. I think it wise to go with a TV that can save your butt on the steep grades. The GM Duramax surpassed both Ford and The Dodge Cummins. Actually the Cummins hardly competed in this test.

The test scored on how many times the driver had to press the brake pedal to keep the rig at or less than 55 mph on a grade. The Duramax required no braking from the driver. The Dodge needed continued braking by the driver.

My initial intention was not to get into a tit for tat over which truck is better. But I guess I threw that out the window when I said I don’t like fords.

However, just as an FYI I’ve owned 3 new trucks. I live in MA where we dump copious amounts of salt on the roads to help our snow turn into a brown slush. Ive taken each new truck and spent about $100 and hit the wheel wells and frame with 3M rubberized undercoating. None rotted, even the 03 Tundra I had

I’ve had out of necessity, several fords over my driving life. Each has cost me dearly, it’s never a big item, it’s always been small stuff that just adds up, starter here, gasket there, alternator, wheel bearings. Fortunately I’m pretty good at fixing cars.
However the worst was the tundra. Made in US but drivetrain made in Japan. Never had a load over 500 pounds in the bed, all highway miles, changed oil every 5000 with mobile 1, snapped a rod with 103,000 miles. Toyota would do nothing to help. They claimed in ads that their engines are bulletproof, yet refuse to assist when they have a catastrophic failure. The dealer told me that if they replaced we’re going to replace the frame they would install a new or used engine at no cost as they would have it all out anyway. Guess who undercoated his truck 1 day after purchasing it??? So no frame issues.

I would consider the GMC or Dodge but not the Ford. Sorry ford fans it’s nothing personal against you just my personal preference.

Hey if I had my way I would get a Numar or an Entegra and just tow a small car, but the Mrs wants a 5er. Happy wife happy life! [emoji16]

Thank you everyone for all the replies.
Topper Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper Harley View Post
My initial intention was not to get into a tit for tat over which truck is better. But I guess I threw that out the window when I said I don’t like fords.

However, just as an FYI I’ve owned 3 new trucks. I live in MA where we dump copious amounts of salt on the roads to help our snow turn into a brown slush. Ive taken each new truck and spent about $100 and hit the wheel wells and frame with 3M rubberized undercoating. None rotted, even the 03 Tundra I had

I’ve had out of necessity, several fords over my driving life. Each has cost me dearly, it’s never a big item, it’s always been small stuff that just adds up, starter here, gasket there, alternator, wheel bearings. Fortunately I’m pretty good at fixing cars.
However the worst was the tundra. Made in US but drivetrain made in Japan. Never had a load over 500 pounds in the bed, all highway miles, changed oil every 5000 with mobile 1, snapped a rod with 103,000 miles. Toyota would do nothing to help. They claimed in ads that their engines are bulletproof, yet refuse to assist when they have a catastrophic failure. The dealer told me that if they replaced we’re going to replace the frame they would install a new or used engine at no cost as they would have it all out anyway. Guess who undercoated his truck 1 day after purchasing it??? So no frame issues.

I would consider the GMC or Dodge but not the Ford. Sorry ford fans it’s nothing personal against you just my personal preference.

Hey if I had my way I would get a Numar or an Entegra and just tow a small car, but the Mrs wants a 5er. Happy wife happy life! [emoji16]

Thank you everyone for all the replies.
Everyone has their preferences. I could in a pinch consider a GMC as they treated me OK in the past. Ram ~ never in my driveway again. Had Dodge back in the 80s with no problem. After that nothing but problems. No problems with the F150 grocery getters and no problems with the 6.7s either. Many must agree as the number of Chevy and GMC almost total the number of Fords sold while Ram has a paltry 9% of the market while being the lowest priced of the big 3. Still, many love their Ram and it is great they are available.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Everyone has their preferences. I could in a pinch consider a GMC as they treated me OK in the past. Ram ~ never in my driveway again. Had Dodge back in the 80s with no problem. After that nothing but problems. No problems with the F150 grocery getters and no problems with the 6.7s either. Many must agree as the number of Chevy and GMC almost total the number of Fords sold while Ram has a paltry 9% of the market while being the lowest priced of the big 3. Still, many love their Ram and it is great they are available.

You are absolutely correct about preferences! There’s also another saying about something everyone has [emoji23][emoji23] just kidding.

See, peoples preferences are mostly based on experiences. When I was a teen back in the 70’s I had a 68 Dodge Superbee. Well I learned how to fix everything on that car. My experience with ford is it’s always something. I’ve only had good luck with Chevy and Dodge. Now allow me to clarify somewhat. I’m semi-retired. I drive handicapped people part time and my company has ford E250 and 350 vans and Transits. The transit is ok but the numbered vans are awful. They drive like tanks and rattle like a tool box with only 5 sockets in it. The front ends are just so heavy, they steer like a lumber wagon. Always being repaired. My ram has rack and pinion steering. Wonderful. I’ve had no issues with my 2014 ram.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post

Yesterday on my afternoon route I counted the big 3 from 2pm until 4pm. I kept a running count.
Dodge 14, Ford 38, Chevy/GMC 48
Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper Harley View Post
Yesterday on my afternoon route I counted the big 3 from 2pm until 4pm. I kept a running count.
Dodge 14, Ford 38, Chevy/GMC 48
I'm going to assume that these trucks were running down the road and not (F)ound (O)n (R)oadside (D)ead? Aslo; Fix Or Repair Daily.

LOL.

On a quite night you can hear a chevy rust. (not true anymore).
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er