Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2023, 04:08 PM   #1

Wheel Bearings

I have a 2013 CedarCreek Fifth wheel. I have had the unit for 3years.I have only take two trips with it to the east coast. I. That time I have not done anything with the bearings. If I need to replace them how do I know what type of bearing for this year unit would be needed. I don’t know if there were every serviced by the first owner. Thx
rrekosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:13 PM   #2

Crawl Under...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrekosh View Post
I have a 2013 CedarCreek Fifth wheel. I have had the unit for 3years.I have only take two trips with it to the east coast. I. That time I have not done anything with the bearings. If I need to replace them how do I know what type of bearing for this year unit would be needed. I don’t know if there were every serviced by the first owner. Thx
If you crawl under the unit and read the label on the axles, a good auto parts store or RV supply can sell you the new seals you will need. (You always replace the seals.) The bearings may be good--you might only have to clean the old grease off and pack them with new grease. There should be plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:34 PM   #3

I doubt they are anything unusual. There are numbers stamped on the bearings the races (cones) and the seals. Most any auto parts store or trailer sales place should have them. Use an rv sales place as a last resort. $$$
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:33 PM   #4

Supply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I doubt they are anything unusual. There are numbers stamped on the bearings the races (cones) and the seals. Most any auto parts store or trailer sales place should have them. Use an rv sales place as a last resort. $$$
When I wrote "RV supply" (not "RV sales place"), I had in mind sources like eTrailer, not Camping World. Pretty sure eTrailer does not sell RVs.

The benefit of using the brand/model of the axle from the label to get parts is that you can get the new seals before you get your hands dirty and don't have to clean up twice.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:33 AM   #5

I will say....after decades of doing bearings, seals, etc on my RVs, farm equipment and the like....not all brands are the same. Bearing wise, I tend to seek out Timken as I find they are the most reliable in my applications. Seals are the same thing. On the RV, I usually go with OEM Dexter seals....I've tried other brands and they don't seem to hold up as well.

Your results may vary....
Old 03-20-2023, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
I will say....after decades of doing bearings, seals, etc on my RVs, farm equipment and the like....not all brands are the same. Bearing wise, I tend to seek out Timken as I find they are the most reliable in my applications. Seals are the same thing. On the RV, I usually go with OEM Dexter seals....I've tried other brands and they don't seem to hold up as well.

Your results may vary....
X2. Exactly my thoughts. If they don't have them in stock, I will wait for them to come in Usually next day....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:34 PM   #7

Name brand bearings and seals are not what they used to be 15 years ago as well as about anything else you buy now days. Be really careful when you buy a Timken bearing as in look at the place of manufacturer on the box. In the past 2-3 years, my area has been hit with alot from Romania not US of A. Yeah they are supposed to be held to the same specs no matter where made, but I have some ocean front property in Arkansas for sale if interested. I also can't see blindly going with Dexter wheel seals ... I buy from Redline with equal results for way less $$$. Just my experiences ... others milage may wary.

PS I grew up on a JD 4010 diesel ... great ole tractor.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, wheel