Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #1

Wheel load ratings

Headed to local CAT scales asap, but a few questions. My 33ik wheels are stamped 3200# load limit. Camper max is 14,067# max. Assuming 20% king pin weight, that leaves me at ~11,254#. That's 2814# per wheel. So, are Saliuns doable, or how do I find PSI limit for my wheels? Assume they are Lionhead mfg.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #2

Don't know how old, but almost all late model CC's have Westlake tires.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Unless you full time and carry everything you've owned since birth … you'll find you'll not come near the GVWR of 14K+ ready for a trip. Get your scale readout and go from there … all other opinions are arm chair guesses. We run Michelin LT tires on ours with no worries at 80 psi. Tredit makes many RV wheels … call them up and chat.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #4

Look on the inside of the wheels. You will see the capacity stamped there.
stesmi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
clr

OK I have a Prime Time Sanibel 5th wheel that I had similar numbers and problems. Mine was dry weight 12672 and max loaded weight 15500. So the cargo capacity was 2769 pounds. The Dexter axles were each rated for 7000 pounds but each had been derated by Prime Time to 6840 pounds so that they could mount Goodyear Marthon tires at load range E. So each tire was very close to max capacity at 3420 (per coach rating).

I blew two of the Marthons comming back from Texas on the same trip. I check the tire pressure each day prior to setting out and each was at max pressure 80 psi. So I went to upgrade the tires. Tredit tire and wheel supplies the wheels and tires to Prime Time. So I removed one wheel and sent them all of the numbers from the back side of the wheel. According to Tredit I had T03 wheels (if I remember correctly) that were only rated for 3500 pounds and 80 PSI max. In my case I updated to load range H tires Sailun and new 17.5 inch wheels.

I would find out who supplies the tires and wheels for your brand and then go to them with your questions.

I went to Tredit tire and wheel and purchased 5 new wheels with the Sailun tires already mounted on them for a good price.

I would also suggest that you have your rig weighed to determine the exact weight numbers that you are talking about here. In my case the pin weight when I did 3625 pounds which is about 24% of the loaded weight.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #6

clr … read back your last sentence to yourself, then re-read the OP first sentence.
Marabombs were notorious for blowing out or tread separation no matter how diligently one would monitor them. Hopefully they are no longer used by the RV industry.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
clr … read back your last sentence to yourself, then re-read the OP first sentence.
Marabombs were notorious for blowing out or tread separation no matter how diligently one would monitor them. Hopefully they are no longer used by the RV industry.
Mbbutler, how did your pin weight come out on the cat scales ticket?
ionasilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #8

Wife and I used to have a Teton 5th. Fairly heavy. It had LR G tires and aluminum wheels. The math all checked between the tire max load, the wheel load rating, and the axle rating. Checked it on a scale. Everything within stated limits. I had cracking problems with the wheels, in the rim area. I had the wheels road force balanced, tightened the lugs with a torque wrench, etc. to assure the wheels were treated properly. I think the load rating cast into the wheel was bogus. Teton warranteed the aluminum rims. They would ship a replacement to where-ever I requested, but having a flat on the road and having to find a tire shop, was a pain. At the time, i could not find another aluminum rim with that high of a load rating.
I went to Dexter, bought 5 steel spoke wheels, moved the tires to the steel wheels (which Dexter load rated appropriately) and all my wheel problems went away. The aluminum wheels were “foreign”.
Moral of the story, assure you have quality components. I love the look of alloy wheels, but, unless there is some slop in the load ratings, I will use other pieces.
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel