Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #21

Rodents

Look where power and water comes in. Check the caulking around bottom dump valves. I too have had good luck w/ Fresh Cab. I put a pack under the sinks and next to the entry doors. After a few days w/ Fresh Cab, put the SS wool in any gaps. The store I worked at was next a high end Motorhome business. They bought me out every year and supplier ran out every year when it got cold. I got mine @TSC this year, cheaper than Amazon. I tried Moth Balls, DW said never again!
Since you already have some in trailer, glue traps w/ a dab of peanut butter in the middle. Use a plastic spoon out of a food pack, avoid humane scent.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #22

I don’t know that anyone can tell you where every opening you need to seal is located. Every rig could be a little different. YOU need to be a contortionist and look / feel your way around your trailer. Underneath, inside and outside!

We also decorate our trailers (both of them) with LOTS of Irish Spring. We buy a “cube” at Costco; and cut each bar into 6 cubes. In drawers, under furniture, under the bed, on the counter, on the bed etc ....... Lots and lots of it! We also put a few glue traps on the floor. At least if they get inside, they may get trapped before they get someplace and start chewing on wiring. (And I have never come across bars that have been chewed on- yet!)

I crawled through the storage compartments and squeezed bronze / steel wool around every penetration (water lines, drain lines, wiring etc) into the living space. Then did the same between the storage compartments and exterior. Do not use spray foam by itself. Mice will chew through the foam in short order.

There were a number of large openings between the front storage (where legs telescope and landing Gear motors live), propane tanks are mounted etc. I purchased sheets of ‘expanded metal‘ at HD. These sheets are metal and have a multitude of holes about 1/4” diameter drilled through. Cut these to size and bolted them to the body (inside the compartments).

Touch wood, We have avoided any invasions so far.
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer87 View Post
As has been said, a pencil size opening will let them in. As to where they are getting in is a mystery but for keeping them out I use Fresh Cab in my RV. One mouse cost me an A/C unit because it ate a communication wire between the units and the thermostat. I had to install a unit with manual controls in the bedroom.
In total mice have cost me 1700 dollars from eating stuff in the RV and my truck that pulls it.
Fresh cab all over, under motorcycle seats, engine compartments on truck and car, inside of both as well. Every drawer in the RV has a bag of it and every storage area has a bag.
I find it works well for me, better than dryer sheets that they use for blankets and better than Irish Spring because they eat that.
X2 on the Fresh Cab, as it seems to work.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #24

Rodents

I used Irish Spring in my 1 st. trailer, My mice ate them. Maybe I did not put enough bars in, but it was a mess in the spring to clean up. I have heard it work for others, did not work for us.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #25

Don't know your rig specifically, but any passage through the frame allows them into your underbelly which then allows them to come up through any hole in the floor for wiring, plumbing, ducting, etc. Look where your slide mechanism goes through the frame rails. Also look where your dump valve rods go through. Some don't go through the frame rails, some do. (Mine did. I used
1 3/8 inch grommets to fill those holes). Use minimally expanding foam anywhere on your coroplast bottom liner that may have a gap such as around a hitch, or around your spring hangers, or anywhere else you see a gap. Also seal off your propane compartments from your front storage compartment, and your lower storage compartment. Your propane tank compartments are open at the bottom in the event of a leak, and there are holes through the walls for the gas lines. I simply used duct tape over any holes inside of the compartment. I use 1/8 inch rubber to make a gasket around the slide support on the big dinette slide, (my kitchen slide doesn't have that round support). The mice would just run along the flange on the frame rails, and any hole was access. After all that, then use all of the other deterrent ideas on these pages.
As Tundra above says, Irish Spring soap is a good deterrent. I use it to repel deer from my trees, and lilacs in my yard. Works for awhile anyway.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

We just spent $2,000 to replace bedroom slide wiring harnesses on our fifth wheel; mice chewed through the harness. Now we have spring traps, sticky traps, poison bars, and Mouse Magic everywhere in the trailer; including the basement and "utility" area. Hoping for the best . . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
I used Irish Spring in my 1 st. trailer, My mice ate them. Maybe I did not put enough bars in, but it was a mess in the spring to clean up. I have heard it work for others, did not work for us.
Right. As is stated above, I’ve found mouse teeth marks in my chunks of Irish Spring. Hopefully, the soap made them rush out for water never to return!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 52
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
We just spent $2,000 to replace bedroom slide wiring harnesses on our fifth wheel; mice chewed through the harness. Now we have spring traps, sticky traps, poison bars, and Mouse Magic everywhere in the trailer; including the basement and "utility" area. Hoping for the best . . . .
I keep DCon in my barn during storage to get them before they get into the trailer, but I've found that if I use it in the trailer itself, they will crawl in somewhere inaccessible and die. Then comes the mysterious dead mouse odor. Mysterious because it will have you running around with your nose in the air trying to figure out where it is coming from. I use traps in the trailer, (Peanut Butter for bait) because then I know I got them, and they were removed.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this. The furnace--Suburban furnaces, anyway--consist of two separate closed systems.
  • Combustion air is drawn into the steel firebox from one of the two furnace vents on the trailer exterior. In the firebox it mixes with propane and burns, heating the exterior surface of the firebox. The exhaust then exits the firebox through the other exterior furnace vent. (The vents are the two holes, about 1-1/2" in diameter, in the chrome plate on the side of the trailer.)
  • Interior heating air is drawn through the big grille on the front of the furnace, into the plenum. It is drawn across the steel outer surface of the firebox which heats it. It is then pumped through ducts to the registers (you called them vents) in the floors of the various rooms.
There is NO air exchange between the vents on the outside and the grille, ducts, and registers on the inside. A mouse could not enter the exterior vents and get into the living space.

Are you thinking that a mouse could get into the trailer ductwork from beneath? I hadn't seen that on ours. The old trailer has aluminum ductwork. Ductwork in the new trailer is above the insulation--not sure what it is.
I agree that mice can not enter the heating system from the outside, but they can chew through the AL flexible tubing in the basement from the heater to the front bedroom heat duct. I also do not like the Downy dryer sheets laying on the carpet. So, by using the heat ducts, I can keep the dryer sheets off of the carpet and flooring.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #30

We shred the Irish Spring with a cheese grater...makes it way more pungent and spread it very liberally underneath the trailer on the ground...haven't had any issues in 5yrs.
2017 F150 V6 3.5L Ecoboost Supercrew Short Bed

Franklins Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #31

Entry Points

Not familiar with your model, but if you have slideouts, look for wires or other mechanisms with holes through the frame. I use wool here, but you need to remember to remove the wool whenever moving the slides in or out.
Tater991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #32

mouse entry

We sealed every crack outside with wool and foam insulation. Mice also got in through the refrigerator vent. We installed metal screening under the vent plastic and installed screening on all other vents. We used old fashioned mouse traps in cabinets. The mice that were not able to get back out found the peanut butter on the traps. It's quick, and the animal doesn't suffer.
buzz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #33

AG I only once, knock on wood, found mice in my travel trailer. The hatch cover where my power cord had popped open. I closed it, dispatched the mice, watched closely that cover is always closed completely and have never, knock on wood again, had mice since.
tboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #34

We had mice in out Sunseeker spring 2019. We put these sachet packets in our RV:
Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent - Environmentally Friendly, Keeps Mice Out, 4 Scent Pouches. On Amazon for $21.

They work! Haven't had a problem since. Our storage spot is next to a cornfield, so I know the beasties are there.

2014 Sunseeker 3050s
2011 Ford Fiesta
RBotr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #35

I use steel wool around tires and jack for last 3 years. It works for me, no mice.
I have big gaps on bottom corners of slid outs, that's where mice were getting in camper.
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, Duramax,CC,LB,DRW, 3:73
2016 Ram Laramie 3500, Cummins,CC,LB DRW, 4:10
GMCdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #36

I never used poison, like warfarin, not so much to save the mice, but to avoid poisoning the animals that catch and eat mice like owls, foxes, hawks, etc.
runner2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #37

I don't think you can close every entry point. So you should focus on keeping them from coming in the first place. As has been stated before, make sure you don't keep leftover food items in your RV. Use scents to keep them out. I use peppermint and balsam oils on wood scrap placed all around the inside of the
RV. I also use vapo rub because just about any small mammals hate it. I've never seen evidence of rodents in my RVs.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #38

I'm asking the same question. My first guess is the slide. Those gaskets can't even keep all the drafts out, let alone some very clever tiny rodents.

I think when a big white box arrives at a campsite, all the mice come running like it's an ice cream truck.

BTW, bronze wool is available at marine supply stores
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #39

Sample of one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic7320 View Post
I'm asking the same question. My first guess is the slide. Those gaskets can't even keep all the drafts out, let alone some very clever tiny rodents.

I think when a big white box arrives at a campsite, all the mice come running like it's an ice cream truck.

BTW, bronze wool is available at marine supply stores
This is a sample of one, but we were plagued with mice until we identified the real entry point (alongside propane tubing to range/water heater) and used ample steel wool to mitigate. We also used steel wool on every other pipe and cable that penetrated the floor. We have had no rodents since then.

But the 38' Cherokee 38P has two slideouts which remain out 24/7 and we did nothing to them. So for this sample of one, the slideouts are not a point of rodent entry.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #40

Use mouse free sprayed thoroughly on the undercarriage! Have your RV service center do it! Then use an effective rodent pepperment oil spray repellent in places you suspect as well (in K Cups with cotton balls) in outside storage areas and inside as well—just remember to let it air out before hitting the road! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote