Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #41

We actually just sold the same model of Cedar Creek trailer our was a 2013

I used lots of steel wool where all the cylinders for the slides activate,
They climb up the springs and up the frame rails. When the slides are in I even put steel wool on the corners of the slides.
Pete Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #42

Look around the plumbing pipes in the floor. If there is an access panel under the toilet or shower area, it's even easier to see. What you might find is a too large hole made by the assember "craftsmen" around the pipes, and they did not seal it. Mice just need to hop in and out of that convenient hole in the floor and find a comfy drawer to make a home.
palomini-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #43

Hmmm! I read a lot of folks use bar soaps as a deterrent. I do too except its what I bait my traps with. It's my go to bait when peanut butter is not handy. I have the Artic option on my 5th wheel toy hauler and there is simply no way to plug up holes without completely removing the corrugated plastic and the fiberglass insulation in order to gain access to them. So Murder traps it is!
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:21 AM   #44

Try Grandpa Gus mouse repellent bags.
This seems to be doing the trick for us .
https://www.grandpagus.com/products/gmp-ca
Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #45

I hate mice

This is my first winter for my new toy hauler and I have learned much from this forum so I have placed peppermint and sealed mouse traps with the solid bait inside and I have used mouse free on the exterior framing underneath. I have installed a 40 foot length of rope lighting under the toy hauler with a dusk to dawn timer. Finally, I have 2 attack cats I let out to patrol the area. They like hanging out under the unit.
MapMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #46

Use Rodent Sheriff spray(amazon) I hv used this for 2 years .have not gotten a mouse or anything in my travel trailer
pitzhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #47

Question

I have a question - when I am in my RV full-time will I possibly still have a rodent problem? It seems like most of these posts are about uninhabited units...

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Living to work and Working to live!
Sharonogoingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #48

I lived in a motorhome full time for 5 years and yes one day I came home after work and my inside cat had a dead mouse for me!
MapMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #49

Definitely try peppermint oil! As mentioned, Rodent Guard or Rodent Sheriff. I just buy the oil in the spice section at the grocery store. We had a big problem with rats eating the insulation and caching seeds inside our rigs. I've been spraying under and around the trailer. So far no rodents!
Good luck.
JSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
I lived in a motorhome full time for 5 years and yes one day I came home after work and my inside cat had a dead mouse for me!
Maybe I need to get a "road cat" LOL

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Living to work and Working to live!
Sharonogoingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #51

Mice and Grandpa Gus

I've read this thread with interest! Granted we've had smaller rigs and my currently 15 ' EPro is parked just outside my home. We do have a lot of ferell cats in the area too. I can't stand the smell of the dryer sheets or Irish spring soap, both give me whopper headaches! Found Grandpa Gus' Mouse Repellent a couple years ago and spray profusely outside and in. No mice invasion since. The scent is peppermint and cinnamon so I'm reminded of Christmas when I use it. I do go to my camper occasionally and if I can't smell cinnamon and peppermint I hit the interior all over again.
Connie Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #52
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I know there are folks who believe this stuff works... until it doesn't. I'm one.

A lot of "it works!" is simply luck of the draw.

We've had R/Vs for 50 years. Some years, the mice were really bad and some years, we had none. The years where there were none I thought... "Wow! I've finally found something that works." And then the next year, using the same "magic potion"... it didn't.

We've always sealed everything we could find that was an entry point but you simply can't get the R/V 100% sealed. It is impossible.

We have tried EVERYTHING...

Irish Spring Soap... nope, they ate it!
Moth balls... nope, they built nests next to them and pooped in the tray.
Fresh Cab/Uncle Gus's... nope they tore open the packs and made a poop mess all through it.
Cotton balls with peppermint/spearmint oil... nope, they made nests out of the cotton balls.
Rodent spray/granuals... nope, still came in.
Bobcat urine... nope, still had mice.
Bounce dryer sheets... nope, made nests out of them.
Sonic repellers... nope, still had mice.

The ONLY thing that has worked with certainty are GOOD Victor snap traps baited with peanut butter. Check them regularly and you will catch them. If we do this right after we winterize for storage, we usually get 3-4 right away as they are looking for shelter and then no more until warmer weather. That is all we use now (last 6-7 years) and it only costs me $5 and some time. They get in... but we get them.

YMMV... ours has for sure!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #53

Thank you, all who took the time to tell me what works (or doesn't) to keep mice out. But sadly the really serious fixes require more than I'm able to do, a senior widow without a lot of knowledge about RV's, some of the point-of-entry references I have no idea where they are, so I'm going to talk to my local RV repair shop and hire them to do it for me. At least I'll have your entry suggestions and for this I THANK Y'ALL.
AG_Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #54
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Look where power and water comes in. Check the caulking around bottom dump valves. I too have had good luck w/ Fresh Cab. I put a pack under the sinks and next to the entry doors. After a few days w/ Fresh Cab, put the SS wool in any gaps. The store I worked at was next a high end Motorhome business. They bought me out every year and supplier ran out every year when it got cold. I got mine @TSC this year, cheaper than Amazon. I tried Moth Balls, DW said never again!
Since you already have some in trailer, glue traps w/ a dab of peanut butter in the middle. Use a plastic spoon out of a food pack, avoid humane scent.
This made me chuckle. My rv should already be full of human scent but that doesn't stop the mice from using it for their home. If I thought it would help I would pee everywhere.

I've used everything suggested here and other threads to get rid of them other than the water bucket trap, and I still have the dang critters. The best luck I've had was spring traps w/ peanut butter and spraying fox urine on the concrete and wood blocks supporting the trailer. It gets expensive for enough fox urine to wet down the block surfaces and it smells bad enough you wouldn't want to use the trailer until the odor dissipates.

For the past 7 years, every time I inspect the bottom of the trailer I find new places mice can get in. If there was a way to collect I would charge them rent.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #55

The answer to the title question is: Anywhere they can. They live their whole life just for the purpose of finding and building the perfect home and breeding. And their numbers are enormous. You can spend huge amounts of time on rodent proofing just to see all your efforts wasted in record time.

Just yesterday I found out why my Honda EU7000is was erroring out:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	243388

Last month I had my Check Engine light come on and the parts store pulled the codes. Right side O2 sensor. I know the sensor is good but somewhere the wires to it are rat chewed.

The house? TG they haven't chewed through the logs. But they will find a way to be brought in via a bag or box, etc.

I don't want to be fatalistic but that's just how it is for me/us. Its cost me huge amounts of time and money over the years.
JRHill02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #56

I feel your pain

I too have tried everything and watched all the youtube videos on what secret technics work. Finally, I talked to a buddy that works for Erhlich Pest Control and this is the bottom line. Poison the crap out of them. I bought 2 outdoor bait houses for rats and load them up with the Green Poison blocks. I put one under the front of the RV and one under the back. Stay diligent and replenish them often. The mice will learn quickly that that area is an area of death and actually stay away. Initially, they will eat up a lot of the bait but will then stay away. At that point all you have to do is every couple of months, refresh your bait. I haven't found a single dropping in my RV in two years. I now do the same thing in my sheds and garages and I have no more issues.
Vladimir1832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #57

mouse traps placed away from trailer. like 12ft. dont lure them in ,unless they are already inside. no bait bars in trailer only far away. i brought a couple of them back from colorado. 1 in a bbq grill. he lives "haha " now in santa rosa nm.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #58

We purchased a travel trailer this spring, and it was parked at our rural house, heavily wooded on one side, and field on the other. I saw signs of mice, so we set traps. Caught 15! We bought copper mesh, and working from the inside, my husband followed all the plumbing and wires to where they exit the bottom of the trailer. For us, this was under the kitchen sink and under the pantry closet that is next to a slide-out. No mice since he did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG_Ltd View Post
Hello!

I've crawled underneath with a flashlight and stuck my hand into spaces searching for entries (kinda scary!) but I still cannot see where rodents are getting into my rig.

If you know where they're getting in (I have a Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34RLSA), I sure would appreciate your help. I'm supposing not all rigs are the same underneath.

The plan is to stuff steel wool or insulating foam.

Any suggestions welcome! Thank you
NancyLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #59

Check the lower corners of the slide outs if you have them. If the slid outs don't close tight they can get in. I was leaving one of my slides part way open so i could get to the fridge and a rat was able to get in at the lower corner because of a big opening. If the slid is open all the way or closed the opening is sealed off.
g.durica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #60

Oh boy... A MOUSE Thread! Let me at'em!

A lot of this has been said b4... but I don't use poison b/c of them dying and decaying somewhere other than in my garbage. I also don't want to kill the food chain (or my dog). I also don't put traps IN the RV b/c I don't want to attract them. Sure surround the RV w/ claymores... but not inside.

If you are looking for "holes" try pressurizing your RV w/ a shop fan/vac. It's what ePro does at the factory. Then start plugging w/ your favorite solution!
BunnyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote