Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Will the water lines freeze?

We returned from warm weather last week. With temps at home being as low as 30 at night. We are concerned our water lines could freeze or be damaged. People say it’s not a hard freeze, and we should be fine.

We open all facets and low point drains in Florida , then pulled it home. Thinking any water would shake out. Hope we figured correct.

Anyone know what temp will freeze camper lines?
Boatdude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As most everyone knows, water BEGINS to freeze at 32º F.

Just remember, it doesn't freeze the INSTANT it gets down to that temperature.
It takes many hours for ice to become present.

Also remember, just because it is 32º OUTSIDE, it doesn't mean it is 32º INSIDE.

One night at 30º would not bother me with temps higher during the day.

Can you leave the furnace on low or plug in an electric space heater to ease your mind?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

We consider that...but as you pointed out, with warm temp during the day, it should not be an issue.

I’m probably just paranoid. Wanted to see if anyone agreed with me.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

To answer the question, 32F.

Seriously though, it's not the the temp of the air you really have to worry about. What you have to worry about is when will whatever water you have left reach it's freezing point. Way too many variables at play to say when that will happen.

By opening the low points, you've drained most of the water, so really, it's just the residual water in the water pump you'd have to really worry about. Assuming of course that your black/grey tanks are empty? I'm also assuming you didn't put the water heater in bypass, so it too should have emptied via the low point drains. Or at least, emptied enough that hopefully you don't have to worry about expansion due to a freeze.

So, getting back to that water pump, if the water pump is in an insulated area, it's going to take longer for that water to lose enough of it's heat to reach freezing. If it's exposed to the elements, it'll lose it's heat quicker.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Team

You probably OK unless you have below freezing temps for 5-6 hrs. You can sit a plastic cup with an oz of water next to camper to judge. For future reference, I would not assume that driving with the faucets and low point drains open will remove all the water in the lines.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I am 200 miles north of Indiana with snow on the ground and dewinterized my trailer Sunday. I am not worried myself. Your Cedar Creek should be fine.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You probably OK unless you have below freezing temps for 5-6 hrs. You can sit a plastic cup with an oz of water next to camper to judge. For future reference, I would not assume that driving with the faucets and low point drains open will remove all the water in the lines.
I found with my Rockwood it would also suck the water heater clean dry as well! easy flush system!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I found with my Rockwood it would also suck the water heater clean dry as well! easy flush system!
It also sucks all the calcium deposits that are in the bottom of the water heater back into the lines. These deposits then get stuck in the sink aerators, toilet flush valves and shower head. I wouldn't recommend it as a flush method.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Looking at the forecast for the city listed in your profile, I see lows mostly in the 40's and 50's for the next 10 days. You're probably ok.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #10

What will freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
To be more specific, it's not easy to drain the flush valve on a Dometic toilet. Many of us have lost one to freezing. If you're lucky, you see the spray as soon as you turn on the water again. If you're not (like the guy with trailer across from mine), the water runs silently down along the water line until the floor rots and the insulation is drenched.

On our big trailer we use potable antifreeze and remember to run some through the toilet. The little trailer has been drained, and you can bet I'll check it carefully when we connect water to it.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #11

It's really not the freezing of the Pex water lines you have to worry about. It's the drops of water in the plastic parts of the faucets, shower heads etc. The Pex water lines can tolerate some expansion, the plastic fittings, etc. can't.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:19 PM   #12

Blowing out the water system with compressed air is quick.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #13

I just went through this last week. It was 70 and sunny and supposed to be nice for quite some time then a day or so after flushing everything the forecast did a 180 and temps went down into the high 20's for lows with 20mph winds from the north coming across a very cold Lake Erie so the real feel temps were in the low 20's to high teens for several nights. I opened every valve, space heater blowing into a cubby for the water pump and filter system are and turned the furnace on to 60F. Burnt through 2-30lb tanks in about 5 days or so but everything stayed toasty.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #14

If the water lines are red and or blue that is pet water lines. Water could freeze solid in pex and they will expand and not break. However the fittings will. There could be fittings hidden also. A light freeze will not likely be an issue. When it is predicted to get in the teens I turn on a ceramic heater inside the trailer and in the storage area works fine in south Texas but not sure about really cool areas.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
It's really not the freezing of the Pex water lines you have to worry about. It's the drops of water in the plastic parts of the faucets, shower heads etc. The Pex water lines can tolerate some expansion, the plastic fittings, etc. can't.
True. Had the MH winterized with AF. Temps in mid Michigan expected to only get to the freezing overnight so I flushed the system. I connected the water to the city water port and everything was fine except the cheap plastic bathroom faucet. I turned it on and water was leaking from inside the fixture onto the counter top and down into the cabinet. It must of had just a little water left in the fixture and froze over winter. Replacing the fixture today with a residential Delta faucet.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdude62 View Post
We returned from warm weather last week. With temps at home being as low as 30 at night. We are concerned our water lines could freeze or be damaged. People say it’s not a hard freeze, and we should be fine.

We open all facets and low point drains in Florida , then pulled it home. Thinking any water would shake out. Hope we figured correct.

Anyone know what temp will freeze camper lines?
If you have a filter,,, I would make sure the canister is empty !!!
You don't want to deal with a broken canister or worse !!!
BELIEVE ME !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #17
Boondocking Only

Your fine! The lines will not freeze.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #18

Update... we opened up this weekend. No freeze damage issue. It was about a week of 30s at night.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #19

Looking good up here now !!!
Hoping we got our last freeze Monday morning !!! Looking for 80 today !!!
I heard yesterday that some places in the U P still has a foot of snow on the ground !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #20

Well it better melt before I go through there in August!

As for close to freezing temps.........just put a 100 watt light bulb in the basement, close to drains and pipes. It will increase the temp at least 2-3 degrees, if that's all you need.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water