Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2019, 12:48 AM   #1

Winter Camping Water Hose

Hello all!

Heading for elk camp next month here in the PNW. Taking the 34IK to a small, county park for the week. Temps have been dipping periodically into the mid 20's here in the coast range and November will throw more at us. We aren't usually a hard freeze area for days (weeks) on end like the mid-west and NE is. It's very sporadic to freeze hard here.

I have used "search" for what I want to know, but couldn't find specifically what I wanted.

So, all that being said, what do you all use to keep your water hose from freezing if camping in the winter? This is a one time, short term trip so I don't want to spend $100+ on a 'heated rv hose'. But I don't mind having a component, DIY 'set up' that can be stored for use again later on.

I'm wondering if there are ways to safely use heat cable on our standard RV water hose. AND if so, HOW did you guys do it? Or is there better ways to DIY our water hose from freezing overnight?

All ideas welcome...Thanks in advance!
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #2
Always Learning

I’d personally just take the super simple route- fill the water tank during the day and use that off of the pump at night.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #3

I used a simple pipe heating cable taped to my hose and covered with "pool noodle-like" pipe insulation from Home Depot.

I stayed for 6 months in a park near Denver and temp dropped as low as -15.
Had water every morning.

I added a foam faucet cap at the water inlet with a hole cut in it for the hose to fit through. This insulated the small area between fitting and beginning of heat cable. I had ane extra 5' of heat cable (30 foot cable, 25 ft hose) so I just wrapped extra around park hydrant and plugged into the power post right next to the hydrant.

30' of heat cable is less than $30 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-AHB...2021910&sr=8-8

For short trips lasting only a few days just fill water tank the night before and refill when needed, storing the hose in a heated area

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions! Great ideas, both.

TitanMike...is your inlet on the outside of the trailer? Ours is inside (34IK). The water hose comes up through an opening in the floor into that area (same opening also is used for satellite cable). I think I'd put the foam faucet cover, with the hose hole cut in it, in that location with the idea being to keep the cold out of the inside of the compartment. Great idea!
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:29 PM   #5

If it’s a no freeze faucet you can do like Edad. Just drain the water out of the hose when not in use. If you do get a froze hose put it in the shower with hot water using pump. Hook it up if you think you want pressure for showers. It would take a couple of hours or more for hose to freeze in 20s. If you have full hooks up you could try dripping faucet but I am not a big fan of it personally. To me if short term I would brake the hose loose on both ends and drain the hose. Total time is a minute and you will have clothes from hunting for that short time.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Fill fresh water tank then disconnect hose , keep heat on in camper and refill as needed.
Jdhudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I’d personally just take the super simple route- fill the water tank during the day and use that off of the pump at night.
I second that! Best possible and least expensive way to do it.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
CGK
Camping with Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I second that! Best possible and least expensive way to do it.
X? If the campground water hook-up is damaged by freezing weather because your hose is connected to it - even if the hose itself is heated - guess who gets to pay for damages? Much safer to fill the freshwater tanks, turn on the heat and use the demand pump.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

I’ve done it a number of times and never had a problem.
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

If you are camping with full hookups, letting your facets drip gives a measure of protection.

We just purchased, from Amazon, a 25' Camco heated drinking water hose for camping in really cold weather or where I don't have a sewer hookup. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it will do the job. (Cheaper from Amazon than buying a Valterra
heated hose from my local Camping World even with the member's discount.)
Camp2Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #11

Loose the hose and run off your water tank
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdhudkins View Post
Fill fresh water tank then disconnect hose , keep heat on in camper and refill as needed.
I have been full time for 4 years. That is what I do. This winter we are in Northern Maryland. Do not expect any problems, even with low temperatures.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxin View Post
Hello all!

Heading for elk camp next month here in the PNW. Taking the 34IK to a small, county park for the week. Temps have been dipping periodically into the mid 20's here in the coast range and November will throw more at us. We aren't usually a hard freeze area for days (weeks) on end like the mid-west and NE is. It's very sporadic to freeze hard here.

I have used "search" for what I want to know, but couldn't find specifically what I wanted.

So, all that being said, what do you all use to keep your water hose from freezing if camping in the winter? This is a one time, short term trip so I don't want to spend $100+ on a 'heated rv hose'. But I don't mind having a component, DIY 'set up' that can be stored for use again later on.

I'm wondering if there are ways to safely use heat cable on our standard RV water hose. AND if so, HOW did you guys do it? Or is there better ways to DIY our water hose from freezing overnight?

All ideas welcome...Thanks in advance!

Full time now for 5 years. Going into our 6th winter in Myrtle Beach where it can get to 15 - 19 degrees & 23 - 32 degrees sporadically at night during January & February. Usually gets back above freezing during the day. If between 23 - 32 for only an hour or 2 during the night you shouldn't have a problem. If below that, I just disconnect the hose and let it drain out. In the morning, just reconnect it. In the meantime, have water in the FW tank & use it until warm enough to use hose again. That's my routine and I've never been without water.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, water, winter