Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #1

Winterized 2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 36ck2

Our 5th wheel has a tankless hot water heater. Is it necessary to bypass the heater when winterizing the unit? Also is it ok to run antifreeze through Ice Maker and water dispenser?

Thank you for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water lines.jpeg
Views:	659
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	237304  
rpbcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

ANYTHING, I REPEAT, ANYTHING that’s carries water, needs to be blown clear with air, or displaced with RV antifreeze.

When water freezes, it expands, and if there’s no room, the result will be damage. How much? Who knows.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #3

So are you saying that the top valves which would normally bypass the water heater, should remain open while winterizing?
This is the first year we will not be taking our RV back to Florida with us. 🤪
Old 08-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #4

I would buy an air blow out connector and hose with a quick connect fitting on the end. Use this to blow out all of the water from your trailer. Start with opening up the low point drains. Let the water out draining out of all three locations. Also open up all water faucet and drain these too, including the washer, shower, bathroom and kitchen. When down recap the low point drain lines.

With the air from an air compressor you should be able to empty out the fridge and ice maker water lines. Close off the valve underneath the trailer to the fridge water line.

Now I would close off the water heater by using the by pass valves in the wet bay. After you are done doing this I would than use the fill hose from the wet bay to allow the RV anti-freeze to fill up the water lines to all of the faucets and toilet. Also pour a cup of anti-freeze down each drain p-trap.

I have done this on all three of my 5er's and never had an water issue come spring!

Camping world sells a low cost hose and blow out fittings for using air.
https://www.campingworld.com/blow-ou...cNsw&gclsrc=ds
Old 08-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #5

Antifreeze

Thank you for the responses. For extra assurance, is there any reason why I can’t run RV antifreeze through the tankless water heater and the ice maker?
Old 08-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #6

If you run antifreeze through the tankless water heater be sure to run clean water through it before turning it on. You won't want to heat up the antifreeze in it. You can run water through it leaving the valves alone but turn the gas (assume its gas) off.

You can also make pink ice cubes but you may want to Google your specific fridge to see if you can speed up the process by keeping the valve open until pink comes out.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbcouple View Post
Our 5th wheel has a tankless hot water heater. Is it necessary to bypass the heater when winterizing the unit? Also is it ok to run antifreeze through Ice Maker and water dispenser?

Thank you for any assistance.
How is that tankless water heater working for you. We had the dealer swap ours out on our 2018 36ck2 for the 12 gallon Suburban water heater due to having a difficult time getting the heater to kick in. When you tried to conserve water in the shower by shutting the water off, it would be cold when you turned it back on.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
How is that tankless water heater working for you. We had the dealer swap ours out on our 2018 36ck2 for the 12 gallon Suburban water heater due to having a difficult time getting the heater to kick in. When you tried to conserve water in the shower by shutting the water off, it would be cold when you turned it back on.
That is true if you are boon docking. If you are hooked up to city water, I don't try to conserve water. The hot water never runs out. I love the tankless heater in my 36ckts.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

When we ordered our signature RV, we ordered the 12 gal HW tank. I read too many folks complaining about poor tankless performance. Low c/g water pressure can also effect a tankless system....unless newer designs have fixed that issue.

Even hooked to c/g water, we somewhat conserve water when taking showers...more so because of the gray tank capacity.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashes3 View Post
When we ordered our signature RV, we ordered the 12 gal HW tank. I read too many folks complaining about poor tankless performance. Low c/g water pressure can also effect a tankless system....unless newer designs have fixed that issue.

Even hooked to c/g water, we somewhat conserve water when taking showers...more so because of the gray tank capacity.
Mine is a 2015 Cedar Creek. 99% of the time we are at full hookup campgrounds. We have been full time for 5 years. I leave our gray tank open until a couple of days before I am ready to dump black. I like to take a long 1/2 hour hot shower. My tankless H20 heater works flawlessly. You are correct, a tankless heater would not be for you if you boondock.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #11

You never would have taken that long 1/2 hour hot shower on a underway Navy ship, Steve....that's for sure. LOL

Sometimes we do leave the gray tank open until we are getting close to leaving so as to have more water in the tank.....just like you mentioned.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #12

One thing I failed to note for all users of the Cedar Creeks is to take a picture of the way the valve handles are turn on for normal use. Then you may want one for winterization use. This way when you de-winterize the trailer you will a reference photo to know which way to turn the valves.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #13
Global Nomad

[QUOTE=Splashes3;2398917]You never would have taken that long 1/2 hour hot shower on a underway Navy ship, Steve....that's for sure. LOL

That is why I joined the Army.

Tags
cedar creek, winter, winterize