Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #21

When you put antifreeze in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post
Good decision to do it yourself the right way.

Read post on forum, look at videos on Youtube, get yourself this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Permane.../dp/B0006JJ588
follow the instruction to install.

Remember... Never, never put antifreeze in FW reservoir.
Pink antifreeze goes in the water lines behind the water pump, but the Water Heater that has to be bypassed. Put some in drain traps and Black and Grey tanks.
It's so easy and the investment will be recovered the very first year compare to the cost charged by an RV Box.
When you're running the antifreeze in, run the taps until you get a solid pink color at each tap.Then run it just a little more. That automatically takes care of the traps and gray tanks. No need to do anything special.

Don't forget to flush the toilet and hold the valve until it runs solid pink. The little valve on the back of the toilet costs $25-40 and cracks easily when it freezes. Hold it a little longer to get some antifreeze in the black tank.

The tanks themselves are flexible HDPE and robust against freezing, but the system low point is the ABS drain valves and plumbing which is brittle and will split when frozen.

Since we use our camper in the winter (Can't miss the New Years Eve party at our campground) with only bottled water, a little water does go into the sinks. We connect a Blueboy to the drain valve and leave the gray valve open all winter.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #22

Thank you Larry. Great info.
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #23

Didn't see anyone mention about after you pink the black and grey water tanks, open the valves (into a container) just enough to see pink. This is supposed to keep the valve mechanisms from freezing.
pobox1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #24

I thought about that awhile ago but after seeing where the 1 1/2 in. and the 3 in. take-out were positioned at the grey and black tanks, I realized thath to be fully protected (however on one side only) it would take a lot of pink antifreeze to acheive because these tanks are quite wide.

One the other hand, there is no need to manipulate those gate valves till time to dewinterize. Furthermore, the volume of the tanks is so that freezing will do no damage.

My end of the scope.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #25

Tanks are not the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post
I thought about that awhile ago but after seeing where the 1 1/2 in. and the 3 in. take-out were positioned at the grey and black tanks, I realized thath to be fully protected (however on one side only) it would take a lot of pink antifreeze to acheive because these tanks are quite wide.

One the other hand, there is no need to manipulate those gate valves till time to dewinterize. Furthermore, the volume of the tanks is so that freezing will do no damage.

My end of the scope.
The tanks are HDPE which is flexible. There's no problem with leaving an inch or two of water in them. BUT the system low point is the valves and the fragile ABS pipe between them and the tanks. We use the trailer when it's winterized. We use the campground showers and dishwashing facility (or disposables), but a little gray water (toothbrushing, dish rinsing from bottled water, dehumidifier running in the shower) goes down the drain. When water freezes in ABS pipe, the pipe splits longitudinally. The split almost looks like a seam or mold line.

To prevent water collecting at this low point, we connect the Blueboy sewage cart (another HDPE tank) and leave the gray valve open all winter.

Larry
Old 04-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #26

Why would a new camper have water in it to start with. Or was it used and then winterized?? Our 'go to' dealer closed so we do it ourselves. But if the dealer did it and there is a problem, its on them.....
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #27

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt2405 View Post
Why would a new camper have water in it to start with?
Umm, well, maybe the dealer wanted to make sure that the fixtures all worked and that there were no leaks? We hear so many stories about people getting new campers and discovering that simple things were broken or didn't work. Maybe this was the one reputable dealer who tested everything before delivery including the water system.

Larry
Old 04-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #28

It was a new camper, but did a staycation in it before we took it back to be winterized. The copper piping on the on command water heater cracked due to the dealer not putting antifreeze in it. Ofcourse that was replaced free of charge.
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

Although I had no water in my tanks, the dealer never put any anti-freeze in my lines. The guy who gave me the walk-through wouldn't let me pressurize the plumbing while I was there, claiming everything had been tested and winterized. When I pressurized and flushed lines this week, guess what....not a drop of pink stuff came out. Nothing is leaking thank goodness, but if they did anything, all they did is blow the lines. Now wondering if they tested any plumbing at all. I'm guessing that time of year the factory blows the lines after testing (I assume they test for leaks). Luckily I dumped some pink stuff in the drains when I got it home so I know the traps were protected. Camping World of Hanover PA. Overall was a decent sales experience, but that pissed me off.

Tags
winter, winterize