Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 10:18 PM   #1

Winterized ? Yeah right

So I had my brand new cedar creek fifth wheel winterized by the dealership I bought it from this past October. I go to drain the anti freeze and open up my fresh water valve just for the heck of it and water drains out at a steady flow for about 10 minutes!! I checked the best I could for any possible leaks from the tank and drain line, but no leaks appeared.

Question #1- what are the chances I dodged a bullet and nothing cracked?

Question #2- If I did dodge a bullet, how was that possible?
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #2

You're talking about the drain for the FW tank???

If yes, I'm not surprised.

10 minutes of draining indicates the tank was no where near full. Tank had lots of room for ice to expand.

Only thing that could have been damaged is the short section of pipe from the tank to the drain valve and the valve itself.
Similarly, leaving small amounts of water in the grey or black tank shouldn't be an issue. Also, unless you use a vacuum, you never get all the water out of the water heater.

If you are talking about the water lines to sinks, etc., I would check everything very carefully with system filled and pressurized.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was talking about the fresh water tank and the drain line.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #4
Site Team

No need to put antifreeze in the FW tank, as long as it's been drained.
You don't want RV antifreeze in your FW tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:57 AM   #5

That’s my concern. It wasn’t drained all the way.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsvillehokie View Post
That’s my concern. It wasn’t drained all the way.
Possible they just forgot the FW tank. More likely they didn't have the unit level when they drained it. Knowing as long as a majority of the water being gone is good they may not worry about getting all the water out of the FW tank.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #7

SailorSam is right. Your fresh water tank is probably polypropylene (white translucent plastic) and has a lot of "give." To be certain you're OK, fill the tank. If there's no water dripping on the ground, it's all good.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #8

Thank you
Old 03-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Fresh tanks are very forgiving to damage from ice freezing as there is usually plenty of room in them for the ice to expand and not break anything unless chocked completely full. As mentioned the drain line and whatever valve is on it to drain the tank can sometimes crack.

When whomever did the winterizing, they either forgot to drain the fresh tank or the rig was not level enough to where the tank didn't drain completely. I've seen both.

As mentioned, fill the tank completely and look for any sign of leaks (don't forget, the overflow will piss out when the tank is full so remember that) and if all is good, you are set to go.

If it were me, while filling the tank to check for leaks, I'd also add bleach to sanitize the system. Then once the system is sanitized, drain the bleach water and flush the tank and lines with fresh water. I always add Camco Drinking Water Freshener to my fresh tank when adding water.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #10

The fact that you had enough water left to run out of the tank for 10 minutes tells me that the drain line and valve are OK. If it would have been cracked over the winter, whatever water was left in the tank would have run out as soon as it warmed up and the ice that cracked the valve had thawed. Next year, if you have the dealer winterize your unit again, when you get it home, open the fresh water drain just in case they left a little water in there again.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
You're talking about the drain for the FW tank???

If yes, I'm not surprised.

10 minutes of draining indicates the tank was no where near full. Tank had lots of room for ice to expand.

Only thing that could have been damaged is the short section of pipe from the tank to the drain valve and the valve itself.
Similarly, leaving small amounts of water in the grey or black tank shouldn't be an issue. Also, unless you use a vacuum, you never get all the water out of the water heater.

If you are talking about the water lines to sinks, etc., I would check everything very carefully with system filled and pressurized.
Leaving water in the black or grey tanks is not good. It will settle in the low point which is the drain pipes and freeze, splitting the pipe before the valves. It is a job to replace those pipes. Don't ask me how I know.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #12

Since your FW tank did not have any freeze damage at the drain it is very unlikely that any interior water lines suffered any freeze damage.
The drain cap/valve would be exposed to the coldest temps.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
Leaving water in the black or grey tanks is not good. It will settle in the low point which is the drain pipes and freeze, splitting the pipe before the valves. It is a job to replace those pipes. Don't ask me how I know.
That is why it is a good idea to completely drain both. Then when winterizing run a little extra antifreeze through lines and toilet. I try and.put a gallon in both tanks.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

Movement always makes my camper drip more. I can leave the gate valves open for days. If I tow down the road and reopen more water always comes out. May not be bad as you think.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #15

I'd also be concerned about the line between the fence tank and the pump. I always blow air from the pump back to the FW tank. I would suggest that you consider winterizing your 5th wheel your self. Even if you don't think you have that capability for that job, it is not difficult to learn and you will get plenty if help from this Forum or YouTube. You will sleep better next spring when it's time to wake up your unit.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
I'd also be concerned about the line between the fence tank and the pump. I always blow air from the pump back to the FW tank. I would suggest that you consider winterizing your 5th wheel your self. Even if you don't think you have that capability for that job, it is not difficult to learn and you will get plenty if help from this Forum or YouTube. You will sleep better next spring when it's time to wake up your unit.
fence tank=fresh water tank.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #17

Me either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
Don't ask me either! Now I leave the gray water valve open all winter, draining into a Blueboy.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #18

The drain line from the fresh water tank is probably pex lines and it will expand some. Maybe it didn’t get cold for to long.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #19

Thank you all for the great responses. Yes I think if I have learned anything from this is to just winterize it myself.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsvillehokie View Post
Thank you all for the great responses. Yes I think if I have learned anything from this is to just winterize it myself.

Good decision to do it yourself the right way.

Read post on forum, look at videos on Youtube, get yourself this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Permane.../dp/B0006JJ588
follow the instruction to install.

Remember... Never, never put antifreeze in FW reservoir.
Pink antifreeze goes in the water lines behind the water pump, but the Water Heater that has to be bypassed. Put some in drain traps and Black and Grey tanks.
It's so easy and the investment will be recovered the very first year compare to the cost charged by an RV Box.

Tags
winter, winterize