Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #1

Winterizing residential refrigerator by whirlpool

Can someone please explain the proper way to winterize a whirlpool residential refrigerator owners manual doesn’t tell you anything tried calling whirlpool no answer just sit on hold called dealer they just said refer to owners manual due to liability. Thanks in advance for your help.
Polesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

ours is frigidaire but i.m sure they are similar. we keep it at a storage lot without access to electricity or water. there may be other techniques.

take out the filter. i bought a dummy filter as ours must have something installed to let water flow. other makes have a dummy plug. i put in the dummy filter. wrap up to real filter and store it as it can be reused again in the spring. or leae it in and install a new filter in the spring.

hook up compressor at low psi and blow air through the lines to get as much water out as possible. for the refrigerator all you can do is put a pan under the in door water dispenser and get as much water out as possible.

pump antifreeze into the plumbing. put the pan under the in door dispenser and let it run until you get good solid antifreeze out.

make sure icemaker is turned off.

basically just fill it up with antifreeze.

reverse in the spring. when we take our first trip with hookups we just flush it several times. run a few trays of ice and throw them away. put the real filter back in after all the flushing is done.

by the way i called frigidaire help line for instructions and they didn't have a clue what i was talking about.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

I put in a dummy refrigerator filter plug, fill mine with antifreeze in all lines, wait a few days till icemaker makes red slush, and icemaker line is winterized.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

I pump the pink stuff in my lines. Then I put the line in the pink stuff jug and leave the ice maker on and the water pump on and when the ice maker starts making pink slush after a few days. I then turn the ice maker off and the water pump off. Works for me. I have a Whirlpool
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:06 PM   #5

Awesome thank you very much for all the responses. I didn’t think it was very difficult just wanted to make sure I had all the bases covered.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #6

Is there a shut off valve for the waterline coming to the ice maker?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polesetter View Post
Is there a shut off valve for the waterline coming to the ice maker?
Yes, it's usually under the driver's side rear trailer tire. BUT.......I don't want to shut it off when winterizing because there MIGHT be water still in line, don't know how to get it out with line shut off...... I would rather leave it on and pump antifreeze into ice maker. That way I KNOW it's winterized.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #8

For years I have done this with my Frigidaire.

1) Connect compressor and put 30 pounds of air on the city water connection.
2) Go from faucet to faucet and bleed remaining water until air comes out. (Don't forget the toilet and outside shower. Run as much water as possible from the refrigerator using the door water dispenser.
3) leave the compressor connected overnight with the refrigerator turned on. This allows the ice maker to cycle a number of times and will clear remaining water out of the ice maker feed lines. Remove the water filter from the refrigerator.
4) Shut off the "pop up" valve to the refrigerator.
5) Run some air through the water tank fill line. This will clear any water that is left in the low points of the tank fill line. (Don't ask how I know this.)
6) Open and drain low points, replace plugs, bypass water heater, remove water filter and put a plastic water bottle in the filter casing to reduce volume for the next step.
7) Pump RV antifreeze through all of the lines using the normal winterization process.

Has never failed me and eliminates the need to flush out antifreeze in the reefer in the spring.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I pump the pink stuff in my lines. Then I put the line in the pink stuff jug and leave the ice maker on and the water pump on and when the ice maker starts making pink slush after a few days. I then turn the ice maker off and the water pump off. Works for me. I have a Whirlpool
The other thing that should be checked is the "Water Filter for the Refrigerator " this should be removed in the "Dewinterize Period " and Replaced! Youroo! !
Old 09-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
ours is frigidaire but i.m sure they are similar. we keep it at a storage lot without access to electricity or water. there may be other techniques.

take out the filter. i bought a dummy filter as ours must have something installed to let water flow. other makes have a dummy plug. i put in the dummy filter. wrap up to real filter and store it as it can be reused again in the spring. or leae it in and install a new filter in the spring.
Unless you store it in the freezer in your house, I wouldn't re-use it in the spring. The filter can grow bacteria inside it if it is stored wet or damp. Frozen is OK. Otherwise, filters are too inexpensive to mess around with something growing inside it.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
For years I have done this with my Frigidaire.

1) Connect compressor and put 30 pounds of air on the city water connection.
2) Go from faucet to faucet and bleed remaining water until air comes out. (Don't forget the toilet and outside shower. Run as much water as possible from the refrigerator using the door water dispenser.
3) leave the compressor connected overnight with the refrigerator turned on. This allows the ice maker to cycle a number of times and will clear remaining water out of the ice maker feed lines. Remove the water filter from the refrigerator.
4) Shut off the "pop up" valve to the refrigerator.
5) Run some air through the water tank fill line. This will clear any water that is left in the low points of the tank fill line. (Don't ask how I know this.)
6) Open and drain low points, replace plugs, bypass water heater, remove water filter and put a plastic water bottle in the filter casing to reduce volume for the next step.
7) Pump RV antifreeze through all of the lines using the normal winterization process.

Has never failed me and eliminates the need to flush out antifreeze in the reefer in the spring.

I tried it that way.

The air pressure, done multiple times, did NOT clear ALL the water out. I doubt it's possible.

And as to #7, that can't run antifreeze through ALL the line, because you shut off one of them.............the line from shut off to ice maker.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The other thing that should be checked is the "Water Filter for the Refrigerator " this should be removed in the "Dewinterize Period " and Replaced! Youroo! !

Where is the water filter for the refrigerator
Old 09-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Where is the water filter for the refrigerator
It depends what type /MFg/freezer location,and if it has a water outlet for drinking water or a Ice maker! Way to many variables to pinpoint a location,But if it has a "Ice Maker and or a Water Dispenser it Better have a Filter'! Youroo! !
Old 09-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #14

If you want to speed the process up, you can trigger the icemaker water valve, using a jumper wire on two test points.

Here is a video, start watching at 7:23.

Here is a link to a forum discussion. Read post number 11.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f23/whirlpool-refrigerator-ice-maker-46856-2.html

Here is a link to a summary of icemaker info. Test point info is near the bottom.
Whirlpool 'Modular' Compact Crescent-Mold Icemaker | The Appliance Clinic

Note: My Whirlpool refrigerator has a water reservoir for the icemaker located behind the drawers in the refrigerator. RV antifreeze will mix with the water in this reservoir, and be diluted by the water. Run enough antifreeze thru to winterize this reservoir.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #15

If you want to speed the process up, you can trigger the icemaker water valve, using a jumper wire on two test points.

My ice maker has a button on the bottom that cycles the ice maker. 3 or 4 cycles and it has plenty of pink coming through it. It is a little square button right on the bottom of the ice maker. I believe (without looking) that it is an LG residential refrigerator that we have in our Columbus.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
It depends what type /MFg/freezer location,and if it has a water outlet for drinking water or a Ice maker! Way to many variables to pinpoint a location,But if it has a "Ice Maker and or a Water Dispenser it Better have a Filter'! Youroo! !

I have never found a filter on my refrigerator. Mine just has a ice maker. I have never seen a filter
Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #17

Quote:
I have never found a filter on my refrigerator. Mine just has a ice maker. I have never seen a filter
Our LG has a Water filter "Part# LT1000P" ,we have our Refrigerator water supply fed from our Osmosis system so the Refrigerator filter only needs changed every 2 years instead of 6 months! The filter must be removed if your going to use Anti-Freeze! Youroo! !
Old 10-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I tried it that way.

The air pressure, done multiple times, did NOT clear ALL the water out. I doubt it's possible.

And as to #7, that can't run antifreeze through ALL the line, because you shut off one of them.............the line from shut off to ice maker.
I don't think that any pressurization technique will eliminate literally all of the water since some of it lays on the bottom of the PEX. However, thousands of RVs are winterized every year with air only. Personally I do both for safety and it takes an extra 5 minutes and maybe $10.

The remaining 1/4 inch water line to the icemaker is vertical nylon and the last few cycles will drain anything that has accumulated in the valve. The amount of water remaining won't hurt anything. Been winterizing reefers with icemakers like this for years, in both RVs and cottages and have never had an issue. However, if you like pink ice...you can winterize everything with antifreeze...

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Bet you a strawberry milkshake it does have a filter. Which apparently is in bad need of replacement by now! LOL

Look on 'roof' of inside of refrigerator. Also, do you have a little blue plug that came with refrigerator? Probably laying in a door compartment? If so, that's the filter plug.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Bet you a strawberry milkshake it does have a filter. Which apparently is in bad need of replacement by now! LOL

Look on 'roof' of inside of refrigerator. Also, do you have a little blue plug that came with refrigerator? Probably laying in a door compartment? If so, that's the filter plug.

It may have a filter but when the Whirlpool refrigerator was moved out of the location the refrigerator was in we saw no filter on any water line behind the refrigerator. We don’t use the ice for anything but keeping our cooler full of ice when on the road or to keep drinks cold on a picnic. Getting my refrigerator out from it’s location is not easy

Tags
refrigerator, winter