Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Wrinkles in the ceiling covering

I have some wrinkles in the ceiling covering in a few spots in our 2013 36CKTS.
I was told it was caused from the movement of the fifth wheel and someone else mentioned it could be water damage. However, it's not wet or damp and there are no water stains. Anyone have this problem? And, if so, what is he fix?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3305.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	244222Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3304.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	244221
2012 F350 King Ranch, Reese Elite 18 and Air Bags
Elkrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Team

We've had two RV's do that and it's as you were told. It's due to the movement, expansion/contraction etc. of the RV and materials. There's not much you can do about it except replace the ceiling panels. It's just cosmetic so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You could take a plastic putty knife or trim tool and squeegee it back in place, but that's only a temporary fix, because there's no good way to get adhesive under it so it'll stick.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree with Bama Rambler... several of my R/Vs have done this including our current. Mine isn't on the ceiling but several wall corners.
It is the vinyl wallpaper covering on the thin Luan board that wrinkles.

I even see it happen in manufactured homes.

Certainly water damage can cause the same so keep an eye peeled.

I've never thought it needed fixing so I can't help there.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:23 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Checked for water damage and none there. Did a little more research and most are in agreement with you. There are some fixes that include reactivating glue with a heat gun, etc. Since it's cosmetic, I'll try a quick and easy fix over the next couple of weeks. I'll post results afterwards. Thank again for your input.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #5

Heat gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkrun View Post
Thanks guys. Checked for water damage and none there. Did a little more research and most are in agreement with you. There are some fixes that include reactivating glue with a heat gun, etc. Since it's cosmetic, I'll try a quick and easy fix over the next couple of weeks. I'll post results afterwards. Thank again for your input.
I thought about using a heat gun and squeegee, but concluded that heating the vinyl would soften it so much that squeegeeing it would just permanently stretch the vinyl.

It would be great if the vinyl had a shrink characteristic like heat-shrink tubing. You could just wave the heat gun at it and the problem would go away. If anyone tries this in an inconspicuous place, please post the results here.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #6

We have the same issues in our 2017 CC 34RL2. Several places throughout the coach. I thought it to be a water issue but can't find evidence of water anywhere. My local, trusted RV repair shop agrees about the no water issue and that it is more associated with how the wall/ceiling covering was applied that is the issue. Ergo, my lazy self is not inclined to attempt any kind of "repair" lest I aggravate the situation.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #7

Good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
We have the same issues in our 2017 CC 34RL2. Several places throughout the coach. I thought it to be a water issue but can't find evidence of water anywhere. My local, trusted RV repair shop agrees about the no water issue and that it is more associated with how the wall/ceiling covering was applied that is the issue. Ergo, my lazy self is not inclined to attempt any kind of "repair" lest I aggravate the situation.
Good Choice! I am not lazy, usually driven to make everything right. But I look a look at our wrinkles (much less than any of the posted pictures, and decided I was likely to make things worse.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #8

We've had this happen and after several failed attempts to get the right parts from the factory, the 5th wheel went back to the factory. They picked it up in February of this year and we got it back on Palm Sunday. After a couple trips out, the same issue surfaced and the dealer was notified again. A guy came from Indiana ...from the factory...and picked up the unit at our residence ( in Pennsylvania) and as of today, it's still there . They said they were going to replace all the ceiling panels, which is what we understood that they did the last time they had it. I have a problem with 'just accepting' the issue. We paid a lot of money and I expect a quality unit. I think the factory was going to contact the manufacturer of the panels to get their input. I have to say that the dealer was disappointed in the issue, also, and they did everything they could do. Hats off to Ansley RV in Duncansville, PA. We're now just waiting for our RV's return.
Member Travel Resorts of America
Retired and adventurous!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #9

I've just started the smoothing the wrinkles using a heat gun. Didn't have to apply any glue the heat reactivated the original glue. I have attached a before and after of one corner. Along the battens it also smooths out quickly, although I will have to apply some adhesive. I will be using carpenter's glue along with the heat gun and a plastic paint scraper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3303.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	244365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3325.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	244366  
Old 12-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Well that turned out good.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #11

Nice!

All our (small) wrinkles are AT the battens/edges, where the panels fit into channels. It's as if the panel shifted but the vinyl stuck to the channel, moving with the panel.

Let us know if you encounter that, and how you dealt with it.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #12

Larry, that is exactly what you see in the first two pictures of this post. As I mentioned, I will be using the same technique but will apply addition adhesive to help stick the vinyl to the Luan (wood) underlayment. It appears that the original glue doesn't hold up over time and the covering bunches up because of movement. I'll post some pictures of the results in a few days once I finish.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #13

Great!

Quote:
Larry, that is exactly what you see in the first two pictures of this post. As I mentioned, I will be using the same technique but will apply addition adhesive to help stick the vinyl to the Luan (wood) underlayment. It appears that the original glue doesn't hold up over time and the covering bunches up because of movement. I'll post some pictures of the results in a few days once I finish.
Great! I'll be watching for it. I understand re-heating the original adhesive, but I want to learn how you get new adhesive under the edge. I couldn't see how to lift the edge, since it's stuck to the channel.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #14

Larry, on ours the channels your referring to are created by the molding. The molding is actually a "T" molding and the "T" portion fits into a track/channel between the ceiling panels. If you look closely at the last two pictures I posted you will see the molding in the first one and the track/channel in the upper left of the second picture. It's a little difficult to figure out because the pictures are sideways. The actual ceiling is on the left of the pictures, not the top. The heat gun releases any material stuck to the molding. I'll show it better in the next pictures I take.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #15

No need to post more

Quote:
Larry, on ours the channels your referring to are created by the molding. The molding is actually a "T" molding and the "T" portion fits into a track/channel between the ceiling panels. If you look closely at the last two pictures I posted you will see the molding in the first one and the track/channel in the upper left of the second picture. It's a little difficult to figure out because the pictures are sideways. The actual ceiling is on the left of the pictures, not the top. The heat gun releases any material stuck to the molding. I'll show it better in the next pictures I take.
I understand the sideways issue, and even the reason for it. Suffice it to say that if you always take phone pictures with the button on the right and camera pictures with the viewfinder/button on top, they will come out right.

No need to post more pictures. The magic words were "The heat gun releases any material stuck to the molding." I was afraid it would stick and my scraper would cut through it.

I am rebuilding the roof decking + trusses + inside ceiling on the little trailer and am familiar with the construction. The transverse moldings actually have more of an H-shaped cross-section. (It's the big trailer that has wrinkles, much smaller than yours.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #16

No More Wrinkles

Finished the wrinkle smoothing project. The heat gun worked great and the wood glue seems to hold well. Couple of hints. The T molding I mentioned in my last post, was difficult to reinstall. I finally used a rubber mallet and hit it every 6 inches or so and that worked fine. I covered the mallet so I wouldn't get any black marks. If you have the same molding, I found it easier to only remove it half way, glue the material, put the t molding back in in the track and then remove other side to complete all they way across.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3336.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	244472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3338.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	244473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3344.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	244474  
Old 12-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #17

Wow, really turned out nice. I have several roof seams with the same issue. Thanks for your solution. I will give it a try.
radk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #18

Looks good,
Nice work...
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover