Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #1

10,000 Mile Journey

Just returned from an epic journey (for me)… 10,000 miles and 26 states (plus one Canadian province) in 2 1/2 months in the Pursuit. It's what I bought this rig for and it was wonderful!

We left home in PA on 1 April and headed southwest with a general itinerary and campground reservations for about the first 2 weeks on the road. We made reservations forward as we went... staying in all commercial campgrounds (maybe better than 50% of which were KOAs). Only spent 2 nights dry camping (but with power) at a buddy's place in Idaho where he's building a fishing lodge on the Snake river. Rolled back into my driveway on Sunday 16 June.

Too many stops / sights to list in detail, but they included Nashville & Memphis, Branson, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Tucson, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Francisco, the Avenue of the Giants, the Oregon coast, Mt Saint Helens, Seattle, Glacier NP, Banff, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, Little Big Horn, Mt Rushmore (and the Crazy Horse memorial), Badlands NP, the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD, the Spam museum in Hayward MN, the Studebaker museum in South Bend and the RV/MH Hall of Fame in Elkhart.

Some observations / comments:

I had zero (that's ZERO) major issues with the coach. I'd venture that spending a couple years doing local camping the work the bugs out had a lot to do with that.

I had two (what I would call) minor issues:

1) On our first day I experienced severe cross winds (lots of fun!) and when we got to our destination I noticed the Ultra Breeze cover over my bath fan had shattered. No - I didn't hit anything - had to be the wind. This was something I installed (didn't come with the coach) and all I can figure is that 2 years of UV had made it brittle. It was the smoke colored cover... I replaced it with a white one bought at a Camping World along our path... maybe that will stand up better (it has so far!).

2) We hit some pretty bumpy roads along the way, and at some point the window treatment around the window by the dinette fell off the wall. I tossed the pieces in the back of my Jeep toad and will deal with that now that I'm back home.

Oh... and I averaged just over 6.5 mpg on the trip. Expensive (especially in CA) but part of the deal.

All-in-all it was a great trip. Now to deal with the more than 3600 photos I took along the way. Sheesh!

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #2

Sounds like you had one heck of an enjoyable trip!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Sounds like you had one heck of an enjoyable trip!
We sure did. 2 1/2 months seemed like a long time when we first set out - we had reservations for 12 June near Knoebels Amusement Park in PA, so that put a stake in the calendar for our end date, but along the way we were flexible. In retrospect it all seems like a whirlwind. Lesson learned - next time we'll plan on taking more time. We stayed at a lot of lovely campgrounds, but rarely used their facilities since we were always out and about seeing stuff and taking in scenery. Need to program in more "down time" for the next adventure.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #4

Sounds like a great trip. However, 10,000 miles in about 75 days sounds too much for me. Glad you enjoyed it.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote