Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

12 Volt disconnect switch

When I turn it to on position, nothing happens. I then turn the ignition switch on the Ford on, and then the disconnect switch seems to function. Seems like something is wrong, but I have no idea what. Any ideas. Thanks.
Palpjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpjl View Post
When I turn it to on position, nothing happens. I then turn the ignition switch on the Ford on, and then the disconnect switch seems to function. Seems like something is wrong, but I have no idea what. Any ideas. Thanks.
This doesn't not appear to be a general electrical system issue but is more likely to be unit specific. What brand/model RV do you have -- so we can move this to a better sub-forum?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #3

12 volt disconnect switch

2017 Leprechaun. Thanks
Old 02-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
2017 Leprechaun. Thanks
So I'm guessing a Leprechaun is a Coachman Motor Home - so here we go.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
I also have a Leprachaun (2018). Not being critical, but I cannot tell what you are describing here. Can you give us a little more detail? When you say 12 volt disconnect switch, are you talking about the coach battery disconnect switch? How do you know nothing happens, do the lights not come on? Something else? Where is the switch located?
Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #6

Additional

It is the 12 volt coach disconnect switch which turns off all 12 volt power to the coach. It is located with all the other switches. It is round and turns either on or off by turning either left or right. When I turned it on, it did not work. In other words no 12 volt lights, pumps, generator, etc could be switched on. I called Coachmen on another issue and was told to check the two 5 amp fuses located left of the batteries under the steps. I did. They were both good, but just removing and replacing them seemed to trigger a FIX. Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
It is the 12 volt coach disconnect switch which turns off all 12 volt power to the coach. It is located with all the other switches. It is round and turns either on or off by turning either left or right. When I turned it on, it did not work. In other words no 12 volt lights, pumps, generator, etc could be switched on. I called Coachmen on another issue and was told to check the two 5 amp fuses located left of the batteries under the steps. I did. They were both good, but just removing and replacing them seemed to trigger a FIX. Thanks for your reply.
Great, glad that it works. Would still love to know why it worked when you switched on the ignition switch. Do you have a switch and wiring installed which enables you to start your engine from the coach battery if the chassis battery is dead?
Old 02-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #8

Have no clue why it worked when I turned on ignition. No, as far as I know I have no switch to start vehicle with coach batteries. Wish we did.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
They were both good, but just removing and replacing them seemed to trigger a FIX. Thanks for your reply.

When just removing and replacing a fuse seems to "fix" things take a close look. The fault could be caused by a loose connection (solder joint or fuse contacts) that may cause a fault again. Give things a good "wiggle test" to make sure your "fix" is permanent.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #10

Hairline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When just removing and replacing a fuse seems to "fix" things take a close look. The fault could be caused by a loose connection (solder joint or fuse contacts) that may cause a fault again. Give things a good "wiggle test" to make sure your "fix" is permanent.
Can even be a hairline crack in the fuse element.

In 1973 I had an Opel GT in which I could run the heater fan or the wipers. Running both killed both. But if I turned the ignition off for a few seconds, it would magically heal. One day I noticed that the fuse link had a bend in it. Shining a flashlight behind it revealed the tiny crack which would open with moderate current flow and re-weld when the voltage was removed.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, switch