Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2024, 08:38 AM   #1

2017 coachmen sportcoach 404rb peeling vinyl

Hi! New to forum. We just purchased this rig and it is in really good shape except for the vinyl on captain chairs and one bench seat. I've seen older posts about this problem; seems that when coaches were purchased new there were options to remedy the issue. The fabric manufacturer sent new covers to those folks.
Wondering if anyone has purchased this 2017 rig and what others have done. We are thinking of replacing chairs completely, reupholstering them.
Does Forest River offer any help for those of us who have purchased used rigs?

Jean
guyer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:24 AM   #2

There are a lot of threads on this forum and others regarding the POS furniture found in many RVs, especially Forest River products.

For one, FR does not offer any assistance to owners after the original purchasers. With your rig being a '17 there is nothing that will be done from FR, or the furniture manufacturer Williamsburg Furniture in Indiana who supply furnishings based on specs from the RV maker, aka, Coachman-Sportscoach.

My 2014 captains chairs and dinette have peeled and look like crap. What I plan to do is to take pictures with measurements of them to reupholstery shops around town to see what it would cost to have the chairs and dinette cushions re-done in fabric. I will compare those costs to buying new ones, which aren't cheap. There are a handful of companies you'll find on the web, or again use the search box on this forum and you will see some results of what companies others have had the same problem and what companies they used. A couple of years ago I did email Williamsburg and they replied if I take say the captain chairs to an upholstery shop they will use the covers on them to make a pattern for the replacement coverings that I could install myself, or have them do at an additional cost of course.

A lot of folks have replaced items with furnishings from home furniture stores with great success. My only concern going this route is will the darn stuff fit through the small doorways found on most DPs.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:37 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	upholstery.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	298852

I did the upholstery myself for about $400. If either of you replace your L-shaped couch, would you save and send me the latch and bracket which holds it in. Mine is broke.

Thank you,

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:02 AM   #4

Hey EJ, the latch on mine broke just after I bought it. The locking bracket attached to the forward part of the pull-out part of the sofa is called a "Striker". I emailed Williamsburg Furniture a picture of it not knowing what to call it and they mailed a new one to me for free! I corresponded with Melody Douglas, Parts and Service Mgr. The only problem is that was in 2019 so I don't know if she's still there.

How did you re-cover your sofa yourself, and did you also do the captain's chairs and dinette?
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:02 PM   #5

I took a home singer machine, bought heavy duty needles and heavy thread to match the material. Then I took one of the loose cushions and sowed to match the original material. After that it was one cushion at a time. I took the couch a part to cover it. the ends are just held on with screws. I also took the 110 power from the left dinette and installed it in the upper back of the couch to be more accessible.

I have not started on the captain chairs yet, but will this fall after our summer travels.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, sport