Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Question 2018 Leprechaun, Ford service

Ok as any one had a problem finding a FORD dealer that will work on your rig ?

Last year for state inspection I went to local Ford dealer They seem glad to work on it. This year they call me for a reminder for service. So i call back for appointment and was told they dont work on motor homes. I said you worked on it last year . Which they said yup. so whats up, no reply .They even put me through to service adviser he said to long . Was not too long last year. This is a new dealer ship 5 years old state of the art. Worst part its 11 miles down the road.
2018 311fs Ford Leprechaun New State

Mileage 3,689.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #2

Yep. Some Ford dealerships will work on motorhomes, and some won’t. If they turn you down because of size, feel good that they did. You wouldn't want them attempting service they can't handle, just to take your money anyway.

In the last 22 years of owning a Ford motorhome, I’ve only had two occasions where I took them to a dealer. One was a recall, and the other was a disastrous, futile experience attempting to fix an ABS problem. We don’t need state inspections where we live.

Our newly rebuilt local Ford dealer now handles commercial trucks, so the motorhome is also welcome. Still, I hope I’ll never need to go there.

You just need to search for a dealer that will service the motorhome, and it may involve some travel to get there. What else can you do?
Old 05-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

You can call 800 444-3311. That is Ford's 24 hour customer assistance center who is supposed to provide you with the nearest appropriate service center. This is also the number to call for roadside assistance which is included with your Ford powered motor home for 5 years or 60,000 miles.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:39 AM   #4

Carl, the only work we've had done was a recall on the rear spring seat bolts. The tire shop the RV dealer sent me to was supposed to just check the tightness after the RV factory air bag install, which means merely check the nut torque, which in turn shouldn't move if they are already tight on spec.

Instead the mechanic first informed me he loosened them, then proudly told me he retightened them to the correct torque setting. That dummy, these bolts are supposed to be stretched only once, then replaced upon each re-assembly... which I assume was the original cause of the recall. That fact probably means that the RV factory loosened them the first time, installed air bags, then used the bolts over, and then the ignorant tire dealer did it again. Which reminds me, I should take a look at them myself to see if they are still holding up ok after these screw-ups.

To make matters worse, the tire shop got the cab upholstery full of greasy finger prints. My DW was not impressed.

As for the local Ford dealers, I've had screw-ups on work done by both. I've had much better luck with some smaller, but more savvy local shops. I hope I never have to take the Ford 2019 chassis in for warranty. I've worked as a mechanic, but I'm getting kind of old to be crawling around on stuff, or I'd do it all myself.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, service