Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #1

Question 2020 Models

Does anyone know when the new Freelander motorhome models for 2020 will come out? I’m very curious because I purchased a 2019 21QB in October, and am wondering if I got a 2018 instead. The chassis is definitely a 2017, and came with a 2017 owner’s manual. Also, the tag attached to the keys I received said 2018. Furthermore, there’s a tag on the driver’s side door has a date of 4/9/2018. I understand that the chassis can be a different year, I just want to make sure I actually got a 2019.

Thanks,
Kristan
KristanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:45 AM   #2

The year should be on your purchase papers and on the registration of the vehicle.

Your situation is not unusual. It depends on when the chasis was actually made, when the Freelander body was made and when it was actually completed and registered.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:37 AM   #3

Did you get it registered at DMV? What did they registered it as, sounds like a 2018 from what I just read. My Chassis is a 2017 with a 2018 body attached, which is pretty normal, what does your paper work say for the title, it should be on there also...hope that helps

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:45 AM   #4

Just thought of something that might help, call Coachmen, and give them the vin# they should be able to tell you what date it came off the production line, did you order it from a stealer I mean dealer? Go to Coachmen for the answer...

Old 03-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #5

I did get the motorhome from a dealer. Believe it or not, it has yet to be titled. I’ve had to get ugly about it and now they want several thousand more dollars from me because “the tax in sales agreement is an estimate.” This in spite of the fact that they have a store in GA. My MH was at their NC store, and I picked it up from their TN store.
I emailed Coachman about the year on Thursday and am waiting to hear what they say.
KristanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

Did you buy this from boat n RV? If you did walk away.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

Look at your RV title, the tenth spot is the year code. H=2017, J=2018, K=2019
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #8

If you are ever in the Goshen area drive over to Middlebury, Indiana and look at the HUNDREDS of chassis and cab units sitting, waiting to be built out. It stands to reason that some sit there for long periods and get titled by FR as a later year unit.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

I had a hassle from South Carolina, where I bought mine from the dealer was "Boat n RV" They over charged me sales tax for Virginia, the DMV caught it, I had to get a rebate back from them, it took them over a month to file the correct paper work just to Virginia. Had at least 3 or 4 calls to them. Then I found out another member who bought there had to wait 6 mos. For them to get there paper work in. So I understand what you are saying.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #10

First time I hear that tax is an estimate. Tax is fixed rate????
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #11

Sales tax is but property tax is not depending on where you live and what county.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #12

He is talking about a MH. Do you pay property tax in your state for your MH? Not in mine.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:22 AM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
He is talking about a MH. Do you pay property tax in your state for your MH? Not in mine.
We do in NC.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwisconsin View Post
Yes in Virginia you do, that was my point, they really don't know. They just estimate it, unless you buy in your state.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:00 AM   #15
Site Team

Howdy Kristan. We keep an information sheet from the RVIA on motorhome split model years in our library, located at this link and copied below. 6 months for a title does seem like there are other factors at play here.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=198

Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes

How is the manufacturing of motorhomes different from cars? Motorhomes are “multi-stage vehicles.” This means that, unlike cars, they generally are built in two separate stages by two different manufacturers.

How is motorhome manufacturing divided into different stages? The first-stage manufacturer, also called the “incomplete vehicle manufacturer,” assembles the motorhome chassis. This typically includes such components as the chassis frame, engine, fuel system, transmission, drive train, suspension, wheels, brakes and vehicular electrical system. These “incomplete vehicles” are then sold by the chassis manufacturer to final stage motorhome manufacturers, also called “completed vehicle manufacturers.” The motorhome manufacturers take the chassis and build the coach body, all of the “household” systems, install the appliances, cabinets, furnishings, plumbing, lighting fixtures and a multitude of various amenities, resulting in a completed vehicle.

How do first stage manufacturers identify their vehicles? According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, this VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with a “Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). This particular MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles? Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide a MCO document with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.

Why do some chassis have a different model year than the completed motorhome? An incomplete vehicle chassis is manufactured before a completed motorhome is built on it. Motorhome manufacturers may buy hundreds, even thousands, of chassis each year. Because of variations in advance purchases of incomplete vehicle chassis, the flow of new product orders, market conditions and new model roll-outs, the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis is frequently different from the model year of the completed motorhome.

What are some examples of model year differences? A group of fifty chassis could be built at the end of a calendar year and assigned that year’s model year by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. A few weeks later, those chassis could be sold to a motorhomemanufacturer. The motorhome manufacturer may use half of them to finish production of one motorhome make, assigning those motorhomes the motorhome manufacturer’s current model year on their final MCO’s. These completed motorhomes would have a model year one year greater than the model year of the chassis. The motorhome manufacturer may later use the other half of the chassis in manufacturing a new motorhome design, assigning those motorhomes the next model year. As a result, their final MCO’s would have a model year designation that is two years greater than the chassis model year. In another example, a chassis manufacturer may decide to skip a model year entirely and designate its chassis one year ahead of the then current calendar year. This could result in motorhomes having a model year one year less than the chassis model year.

Who decides what the “official” model year of the vehicle is? The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. Source: Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5,
2001).

Is it permissible to have different model years for the chassis and completed motorhome? Yes, it is permissible. The United States Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) has directly addressed this very issue and determined in a formal staff opinion that it is NOT an unfair or deceptive trade practice for the completed motorhome and its chassis to have different model years. In recognition of the fact that the final stage motorhome manufacturer has the authority to designate the model year for motorhomes, the FTC has stated that the incomplete vehicle chassis manufacturer may use the phrase, “Model Year – Not Applicable” on the MCO’s for the incomplete vehicles it sends to final stage motorhome manufacturers, if it so chooses. Source: Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is the motorhome manufacturer required to disclose the difference between the model year of the
incomplete vehicle and the model year of the incomplete chassis? No. However, four states (California, Maryland, Michigan and Wisconsin) require dealers to inform purchasers of multi-stage vehicles of the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis and the model year of the final stage motorhome.

What information is used by state DMV offices to register motorhomes? When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer. Source: 2015 AAMVA Policy Positions
(Amended 2013) - See page 21.

What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year? If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year and not the final stage manufacturer’s model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association’s Government Affairs Department at 703-620-6003 for assistance.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #16
Site Team

Also as has been stated previously, you are needing to check the 10th digit in the VIN assigned by Forest River/Coachmen for the model year they assigned to the RV. This will most likely be different than the VIN assigned to the chassis. As noted below in this post, you will be looking at the tenth digit of the VIN that starts with 5ZT:

If the tenth digit is:

H=2017 model year
J=2018 model year
K=2019 model year

Per the Coachmen website:

http://www.coachmenrv.com/helpful-tools

What does the Coachmen serial number look like?

• Since 2009, units manufactured or sold by Coachmen RV a Division of Forest River, Inc., all Coachmen serial numbers are 17 digits and the 1st 3 digits will be 5ZT.

Why could my Chassis be a different year than my RV?
This is a very common question within the RV industry, not just Coachmen. The chassis of a motorized product is purchased from a chassis manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, Workhorse, Freightliner, Spartan, etc.) as an "Incomplete Vehicle" (with an established chassis serial number). When Coachmen completes the vehicle, we assign a model year and a Coachmen serial number to the coach portion. The RV industry and chassis manufacturer model years change at different times. For example, Coachmen may introduce the 2019 model year unit in June of 2018, but the chassis manufacturer doesn't introduce the 2019 chassis until September of 2018.
Because Coachmen "Completes the Vehicle" and assigns the model year, the value of any Coachmen unit is determined by the model year of the Coachmen, not necessarily the chassis. This may vary by state.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote