Old 08-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Living the Dream

27QBC rear brake light issue

2016 Coachmen 27QBC (Chevy chassis), the third brake light and passenger side brake light are out. Checked the fuses and couldn't find a blown fuse. At first I didn't notice the third brake light was out, thought it was only the passenger side brake light so I ordered a new Command 003-30 light (100 bucks!) and installed it. Well it's not the rear light. The back up light, marker lights and turn signal light work and all lights on the drivers side work but no passenger side/third brake light.

No idea where to check now. Any ideas?

Old 08-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Did you just eyeball the fuses, or check with a meter? They can look OK, but be bad.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Did you just eyeball the fuses, or check with a meter? They can look OK, but be bad.
Pulled the fuses and looked at them. Looking at the fuse box diagram there isn't a single fuse for passenger side brake lights on the inside fuse box. The fuse box under the hood has brake lights fuses, they all look good. I have all lights but brake lights. When I connect a trailer all the lights work, brakes included.

All the tail lights share a common ground, so it's not the ground. I'm stumped.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #4

I found my rear lights were full of water. Couldn't see it right away until the sun hit the light.

After I drained the water, most of them started working again.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #5

The tail sections are fiberglass. Therefore the light fixture must be grounded with a separate wire. Often these connections corode. I have drilled a new hole and screwed or pop rivoted the wire (black) to the new location. A brake light not working may also cause the cruise control not to work when the lights are on.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Living the Dream

Thanks for the replies.

No water in the tail light. I bought a new light and it doesn't work.

Cruise control works with the lights on or off.

The only lights not working is the passenger side brake light and the 3rd brake light.

Going to take a multi meter and test every fuse in the fuse box under the hood and under the drivers seat. If it's not a looks good but is bad fuse I'll trace the wiring. I will add the ground is good, all lights share a common ground and the other lights work well.

I have not opened up the 3rd brake light to look at it yet, that's also on my trouble shooting list.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
Coach

I would guess your brake lights are fed by a single wire that is then branched off. The branch feeding the right side and third brake light has probably worked loose some how. If it were me I would probably start near the left side brake light that is still working and look for loose or corroded connectors. Check grounds along the way as well. If not around the light, then check for harnesses/connectors around your 7way at the hitch.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
Living the Dream

Dealer gave up on it, took it to a shop that specializes in heavy equipment /RV repair who managed to get the brake turn signals working. They found the number 8 and 73 fuse blown in the under hood fuse box. Traced the wires and couldn't find a issue. They also said the tail lights are full of water and this could caused the issue. Ordered new tail lights to replace the water filled ones, going to seal them and hope for the best. Spent about $500 on this issue so far.

Tags
light