Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #1

3 drain valves on Prism 2200

Just purchased a 2019 Prism. Why are there 3 gate valves? One on curb side and 2 on the street side. What is the procedure? Is the curb side valve black or grey?? If black, open it first... then the curb side black...when complete... empty grey..??

Thanks. John.
clicker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #2

Need answer soon... leaving Campground in morning.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Site Team

I can't help since I've never seen a gate valve on the curb side.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #4

Me neither.

I’m ???? On a new rig.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #5

Is there a sewer hose connection on the street side? You calling things correct in your post? I have never heard of sewer line being on that side, maybe in Europe like England. These are not plex lines are They? That's how confused I am. Can you post a picture of things your questioning.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #6

generally, if you have only one toilet, you'll only have one black tank, which is usually on the driver side outlet, along with the gray tank outlet.

if you have an additional outlet on the passenger side, it's probably gray water from a kitchen sink on that side of the RV, or the shower if you have a 'split' walk-thru bathroom, etc.

Having an outlet on the passenger side is no different than the other, but your hose will need to reach much farther. Which side you dump first probably matters not.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

I,m pretty sure the gate valve on the curb side is for freezing weather, you can close it and open the valve on the street side and then no water will be left in the drain pipe to freeze......Bruce
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

Per the dealer. The black tank has 2 valves. Not sure why. But that’s their answer.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #9

I should have mentioned, for freezing weather, if you have a sewer hook up, you leave your gray tank valve open (so it can completely drain) and close the black tank on the curb side valve, and open the black valve on the road side. This empties the drain pipe that runs underneath the motor home, so it can't freeze.....Bruce
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker187 View Post
Per the dealer. The black tank has 2 valves. Not sure why. But that’s their answer.
Not so humbly, I think your dealer is full of it.

My guess is that:
- the passenger side's rear most handle is gray for the shower.
- the next handle is likely near that but in front of it and is most likely the handle for the blank tank.
- the driver's side handle is likely mid-ship and for the sink gray tank.

The only way to find out is to pull them open + close them fairly quickly. See if it's gray or brown water that comes out. That will tell you if it's black or gray.

Then, once the tanks are empty. Close all of the handles. Run water into the kitchen sink for like 5 minutes. Go pull handles one by one to see which lets water out. Let it drain out completely. Close the handle.

Repeat for the shower.

Repeat for the toilet.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

Some pics might help.

Here's a pic from a dealers website showing the 2 street-side valves.

The one on the left with the handle facing the front is the black tank valve. The one on the right with the handle facing the photographer is the grey tank valve.

Here's a pic of the curb side. I don't see any valves here.

It's possible you have a second gray tank for the kitchen sink, and it's valve could be on the street side, but that's kind of unusual.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #12

I don't see a sewer line hook up on the street side, if it's like the plumbing lay out of a Concord, they might have added a transfer valve only from the sink and probably shower. If they did they are getting smart. In a Concord the sink and shower drain in one tank on the street side, then the bathroom sink has it own tank on the curb side. The problem comes from the Chassis layout. People have talked about installing a transfer line from tank to tank, the capacity sucks. Maybe that is what they have done there now. Best my small mind can think of. But I don't see a sewer hook up on the street side, do you? Is there one there OP?

Old 03-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
I,m pretty sure the gate valve on the curb side is for freezing weather, you can close it and open the valve on the street side and then no water will be left in the drain pipe to freeze......Bruce
This is the correct answer. Kitchen and bathroom are on curb side. The curb side black thank valve is to close off the transfer tube to the street side.

This is a 22 foot MSB MH, not a large TT or FW.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker187 View Post
Just purchased a 2019 Prism. Why are there 3 gate valves? One on curb side and 2 on the street side. What is the procedure? Is the curb side valve black or grey?? If black, open it first... then the curb side black...when complete... empty grey..??

Thanks. John.
I take it no one explained this to you at purchase? Never heard of a curb side one. Wouldn't surprise me the way they build them today. Are you asking us what color YOUR valves are? I have seen separate grey water tanks.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #15

Just another great mystery solved by this community. Nothing stumps forum members. Just shows every unit is different.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #16

Wow, that is interesting. Our Coachmen Freelander 20CB (transit chassis) has three handles too, but two are gray and one is black. One of the grays is just the shower and the other does the kitchen and bath sinks. All three are in the back drivers side.

Jay
jaynwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #17
Cora, retired RN

Smile Black tank valve

I have a 2019 coachmen Freelander 21 rs. I also have a black tank valve on the curb side. It is connected to same line as black tank valve on street side. Grey tank valve is separate.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
Cora, retired RN

Unhappy

I was told only to open street side first, then open curb second. I forgot this first time I used it an got a little messy
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #19

I have the same model.

Valve on passenger side is first valve for black tank. Drivers side is black and gray tank valves.

After hooking up, I open the passenger's side first (you'll hear it flush out), then I go to the drivers side and open that valve to let it drain. They have 2 for a safety featue, to keep crap from becoming a big mess and released by accident. After dumping the black tank and a few flushes, I close the valves and move to the gray tank.

1 black tank, 1 gray tank, and 1 fresh water. That's it.

Again, it's for no accidental crap drains.

ALSO - keep your p-traps filled - especially the shower if not used frequently. Keeps the gray tank nasty smell away

Feel free to drop me a line on any questions - we LOVE ours and have learned a lot about it the last year!
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, valve