Old 12-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

319 - where do you stow your sewer hose?

The site team has merged two virtually duplicate threads and corrected the model number in the title.

Hi,

I'm into my 4th year with a 2017 419, and I like it a lot. I think that floor plan has been in production for a long time so I'm hopeful someone(s) have figured out an answer to my one lingering question.

I have yet to figure out a GOOD location to stow the sewer hose and associated extras. Right now, I'm using the the tiny compartment right ahead of the dump station. That's sort of ok but it's kind of 5 pounds in a 5 pound bag. Best idea I could figure out was to put the hose and fittings in a plastic garbage bag, which mostly keeps any 'moisture' from the hose contained, and I can change the bag regularly at almost no cost. There's also the support whatchamacallit, rubber gloves... that have to go somewhere.

I tried sliding the hose into the rear bumper but the Rhino hose is as big as a rhino and won't slip in there. Not to mention the thought of losing the expensive hose on a left turn.

My rule is that the hose and fittings can't go in a compartment that might contain food or cooking supplies. That lets out the big storage in back. I thought about getting one of those storage tubes (I think Valtera sells one, or I could fab it myself) for the hose, but there's not an obvious place for that under the chassis, although I'd say that's the near perfect concept.

So, guys and gals, where do you put your stinky slinky in your 419 (or similar model)?

Thanks!

MWKingSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
Usually Confused Member

I tried to see just what a 419 is so I could look if there is room for the fence post holder mod. What is a 419?

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #3

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gutt...w=1920&bih=937

I personally put mine and the fittings in a water tight tub in my "Genny Prepped" compartment (along with 2 separate tubs for electrical and tools/aerosol lubes/hitch grease, etc.) since I have no genny built in.

Many have built under the frame storage compartments out of plastic 6" Gutters sliding in 8"x8"x8' plastic fence post covers. I have one built for fishing poles that I didn't get mounted prior to get getting cold but will in the Spring.

Good luck and hope this works for you as a solution!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #4

I keep my Rino hose and an extra in the bumper it fits if you rotate the hose connector to where tabs are in corners. I keep the extra fittings in the rear driver side compartment. They are kept in the bottom drawer of a plastic file cabinet thing my wife found. The drawer above is the different electrical connections and the top drawer is water hoses. Next to it is a container for the 50 amp cord finally squished I. The back are blocks for leveling jacks.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:24 AM   #5

We use a bin where we put everything related.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I tried to see just what a 419 is so I could look if there is room for the fence post holder mod. What is a 419?
Well, crap, I don't know what a 419 is - the actual correct model number is a Coachmen Leprechaun 319. That is a 33' Class C on an E450 chassis.

My apologies to all who wasted time trying to solve this for the wrong model.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Sewer Hose in Leprechaun 319

I asked this question a couple of days ago, but I did it badly so I'm starting over. I apologize to everyone for wasting their time.

I'm into my 4th year with a 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319, (33' Class C on the E450 chassis) and I like it a lot. I think that floor plan has been in production for a long time so I'm hopeful someone(s) have figured out an answer to my one lingering question.

I have yet to figure out a GOOD location to stow the sewer hose, a CAMCO RhinoFLEX, and associated extras - the support whatchamacallit, rubber gloves, elbow fitting.... Right now, I'm using the the tiny compartment right ahead of the dump station. That's sort of ok but it's like 5 pounds in a 5 pound bag. Best idea I could figure out was to put the hose and fittings in a plastic trash bag, which mostly keeps any 'moisture' from the hose contained, and I can change the bag regularly at almost no cost.

I tried sliding the hose into the rear bumper but the ears on the fittings of the Rhino hose are as big as a rhino and won't slip in there. I guess I could grind off the ears, but that defeats the purpose of having them to turn the fitting to lock it in place while using it. Not to mention the thought of losing the expensive hose on a left turn.

My rule is that the hose and fittings can't go in a compartment that might contain food or cooking supplies. That lets out the big storage in back. I thought about getting one of those storage tubes - Valtera sells one but Amazon reviews say it's too small for the Rhino hose. I could fab a tube myself from bigger sewer PVC, but there's not an obvious place for that under the chassis, although I'd say that's the near perfect concept.

So, guys and gals, where do you put your stinky slinky in your 319 (or similar model)?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #8

I have a sewer hose tube bolted to the frame of my 5th wheel. Did the same when I had a MH. Get them at Camping World or amazon. Comes in two lengths. I have the longest one that will hold both a a10' and 5 foot length
Old 12-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #9

Use the bumper?

Maybe the problem is the Rhino hose. Does it have larger fittings than a Valterra, for example? Just get a hose that fits. The bumper end caps should reliably snap into the bumper, but some posters on this site have drilled holes through bumper and cap at top center and bottom center and dropped a long pin through for security.

These would do it.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #10

I mounted a 5" fence post cover onto my bumper. Pin an end cap to both ends and it is long enough to hold two long hoses with their fittings.

I also use Rhino hoses.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #11

I'm in the totally wrong forum(sorry!) as I have a TT but I have a rhino hose as well and had same dilemma. I found that the larger end fits perfectly in the bell end of a green PVC drainage pipe. Cheaper and lighter than PVC or the fence post. I hung underneath the trailer and put some holes in the bottom for venting and drainage.

Hard to see in the pic but the far end has a PVC cap secured to a bracket and then glued to the pipe. The mid and rear are pipe strap with rubber washered self drilling screws into metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	221161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	221162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	221163  
Old 12-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

I purchased this sewer hose carrier for storage https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Va...04-3460BK.html. I have 260DS Leprechaun and attached it to the top on the rear 4 inch square bumper. This will fit the main hose, extension hose with the fittings. So far it has worked out very well.
Flarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post
The site team has merged two virtually duplicate threads and corrected the model number in the title.

Hi,

I'm into my 4th year with a 2017 419, and I like it a lot. I think that floor plan has been in production for a long time so I'm hopeful someone(s) have figured out an answer to my one lingering question.

I have yet to figure out a GOOD location to stow the sewer hose and associated extras. Right now, I'm using the the tiny compartment right ahead of the dump station. That's sort of ok but it's kind of 5 pounds in a 5 pound bag. Best idea I could figure out was to put the hose and fittings in a plastic garbage bag, which mostly keeps any 'moisture' from the hose contained, and I can change the bag regularly at almost no cost. There's also the support whatchamacallit, rubber gloves... that have to go somewhere.

I tried sliding the hose into the rear bumper but the Rhino hose is as big as a rhino and won't slip in there. Not to mention the thought of losing the expensive hose on a left turn.

My rule is that the hose and fittings can't go in a compartment that might contain food or cooking supplies. That lets out the big storage in back. I thought about getting one of those storage tubes (I think Valtera sells one, or I could fab it myself) for the hose, but there's not an obvious place for that under the chassis, although I'd say that's the near perfect concept.

So, guys and gals, where do you put your stinky slinky in your 419 (or similar model)?

Thanks!
Been using a lidded bin for 5 years with no problem. Rubber gloves a must!
Bob Gowryluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #14

Sewer hose storage

We have a 2019 Forest River Forester. I fastened 6 inch inside diameter pvc pipe to the rear bumper - it is large enough to store the sewer hose and attached fittings.
Paul 2019 Forester.
pbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #15
ExNavy-Exphoneguy

I have a flip top tub with holes drilled in the bottom. at home stored under the 5th wheel. On the road it rides in the pickup bed.
mikebecker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #16

LOL, stinky slinky...

Well... What we do is not as sexy as all the other solutions but mine is super ez to do and it works for us. We just store everything in a milk crate and when not in use we put the milk crate underneath the trailer and when in use, hose and all the fittings are obviously in use and crate goes back underneath the trailer. While traveling the milk crate goes in the back of the pickup truck.

I never worry that someone is going to walk away with my "stinky slinky"

That's what we do... Hope you find it useful.
gfnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #17
KSH

I had the same problem. Swapped out the hose and it now fits in the bumper.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #18

On a related note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksh2 View Post
I had the same problem. Swapped out the hose and it now fits in the bumper.
I was at a State Park in Florida the other week waiting to dump and the guy in front of me was dumping his tanks in flip flops and bare hands. My take away was to never shake hands with other campers at a dump station!
Projectman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:58 PM   #19

sewer hose

My sewer hose carrier is round and the sewer hose kit I purchased wouldn't fit, so I ground down one of the nubets just enough so one end would fit in the tube while the other just barely fits inside - so it's always the end close to the cap. I have lids for the clear connector and the end that goes into the sewer part on the ground. Plus I carry powder bleach to sanitize all the parts after dumping before attaching lids. I store those in a basket with the plastic gloves and hand sanitizer.
mjwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post

Hi,

Thanks!
MWKingSD, I went thru the same deliberation when I purchased my new TT. The "el cheapo" dealer supplied hose fit nicely in the bumper 9WITHOUT THE FITTINGS IN PLACE), but the bumper usually rusts on the inside and will make pinholes in the sewer hose after you drag it in and out a few times. I passed a woven tape all the way thru the bumper and tied it so that the end caps would not fall off. Well that worked for about a year and I nearly got a surprise face spray from a pin hole in the hose while dumping the black tank ... so, a piece of electrical tape plugged up the hole temporarily, and I decided to buy a new Rhino Extreme hose and fittings, which do not fit in the 4" square bumper, so I visited a Lowe's and bought the 5" PVC fence post, 2 post caps and a length of "C" style rain gutter and 2 screen door hooks and 2 brass hinges. I used the full 8' of post and mounted the caps so that they would open easily on both ends but could be held shut with the screen door hooks. I cut the rain gutter into 2 - 5' lengths and they form the trays as well as the hose holder when the hose is deployed. All the fittings and my box of gloves fit within the post. I strapped the post to the top side of the TT bumper by cutting some 1" HDPE Sch 40 Conduit and drilling them to fit around the bumper and post, then fasten it all down with 4 7"x3/8" carriage bolts with the post resting on 2 small pieces of 1"x2" atop the metal bumper. All told I spent under $40 and an hour of my time creating the mod and it has worked flawlessly. Well worth the time and money!

Good Camping ...... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote