Old 06-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #1

Smile ABS light and Service Stabilization light on

While coming home from a trip to the redwoods in our new 2018 Coachmen Freelander 26DS, I noticed the ABS light came on after driving through a rather bad patch of road. The motorhome drove fine and later when I stopped and then restarted the engine, the light came on again and then went out. By the odometer area it said service stabilization and service something else, not sure now. Long story short, we got home fine and since motorhome is under warranty, I will have it checked out, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it is a major problem or not. If itís just the bumpy California roads and something that will happen occasionally or major mechanical failure. Thanks for any help!
Campin-Nana
2018 Coachmen Freelander 26DS
Owned 28 days, camped 13 days

Campin-Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

People drove for years without ABS. Brakes work with out it working, so they work just no modulation of the system.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. This is the first motorhome I've driven so I was just wondering. Pulled a 34 foot Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite trailer with a Ford 250 diesel but truck was stolen and I was tired of backing trailers! Love the motorhome though! Thanks again!
Campin-Nana
Old 06-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #4

You can get it looked at when you have the time. There are sensors at each wheel and may get jounced enough to gain desperation from the reluctor wheel on the hub. That you could do yourself.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Thanks a lot! I will do that!
Old 06-28-2019, 04:22 AM   #6

If itís a Chevy chassis I was told there is a recall for the wheel sensors.
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #7

JWallet, it is a Chevy chassis. I will definitely look into this. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #8

Just an FYI for anyone in a similar situation - there is a recall for ABS in the Chevyís. After looking around, we found a dealership that worked on motorhomes and they reprogrammed the sensors. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Next trip should tell!
Old 08-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin-Nana View Post
Just an FYI for anyone in a similar situation - there is a recall for ABS in the Chevyís. After looking around, we found a dealership that worked on motorhomes and they reprogrammed the sensors. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Next trip should tell!

I had the same problem. I drive a 2015 Coachmen Prism and the abs light came on but other things happened. We werenít able to use the cruise control and it would accelerate on its own. This unit is a Mercedes Benz engine-diesel. I wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that I had a flat tire on the rear drivers side tire (duke)but outside tire. I had a local guy change the tire but now I wonder if there was some kinda of sensor that is attached to the tire or maybe this is just. coincidental. It never did this before. I am getting it into the shop but just curious what the deal is. Appreciate anyoneís thoughts on this. Itís not a Chevy so it wouldnít be covered under a recall. Thank you.
burkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #10

Wheel speed sensor failure. They are covered under warranty for 100,000 miles.
Vegabonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin-Nana View Post

Thanks for that information, I have 2018 Chevy, I never got a notice on the recall, mine will do the same thing, when it happened I grabbed the owners manual and looked up ABS, in the manual it says that if the light comes on to just shut the engine off and restart it, that will turn the ABS light off, also said it was okay to drive. Now I have never read anything like that in a owners manual before, I was surprised to read that in it for there answer to it, but it does work, Iím calling Chevy and see whatís up with the recall and for what years and model, thanks again for that information

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #12

Does anyone know how long the fix for this issue takes?
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
Does anyone know how long the fix for this issue takes?

We took ours in and it was fixed the same day. They told us it involved updating a computer program on the sensors for the ABS. Weíve had it out 5 times since being fixed with no problems. Good luck with yours!

Tags
light, service