Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 12:48 AM   #1
2019 Leprechaun 319mb

AC only works when Plugged into 110v source

Last night in preparation for an upcoming trip I decided to check that my AC worked. When plugged into a 110v power source AC works fine however when I disconnect and fire up my generator the Air Conditioner doesn’t come on. I’m a new owner and am looking for suggestions, do I need to do anything? I thought it would automatically switch over when the generator was in use.
Bill659651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 AM   #2

Do you have an automatic transfer switch? Some do and some don't. Has it ever worked off the generator only? Some set ups you have to plug your power cord into the generator. Did you get any 110v anywhere in the RV?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch doctor View Post
do you have an automatic transfer switch? Some do and some don't. Has it ever worked off the generator only? some set ups you have to plug your power cord into the generator. did you get any 110v anywhere in the rv?
x2- most likely
Old 04-25-2019, 02:52 AM   #4

Emmmm.... is this a new MH?

On our small MH, there is a slight delay before the electricity comes on and the a/c will work.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
2019 Leprechaun 319mb

Unhappy Sorry for the lack of information

I’m new to this forum so I thought when I posted some pertinent info about my RV would be included in my post. I have a 2019 Coachman Leprechaun 319mb. In an effort to learn about our investment we have only gone on short local camping weekends. It has been cool and in every case we had both water and electricity so I didn’t need the AC and all other 120vac appliances worked because we had a electrical connection.

I was told by the dealer that I just needed to start the generator (and it does start easily) and it would provide the needed power for the 120vac appliances so I “assume” there is an auto transfer switch.

I tested the coach this am and started the generator, NONE of my 120vac appliances work. That includes the Microwave, the fireplace and the air conditioning.

I looked in the bay adjoining the generator and there is a electrical box and a black module with numerous cables connected to it. All connections are secure. There doesn’t appear to be a place to plug the 30amp power cord in to for a manual connection of the generator.

I have checked all of the fuses and circuit breakers all are on and I’ve reset (all off and then on) and they appear to be ok.

Thanks to everyone for their input and comments but now I’m lost and will probably need to have my dealer (yikes they are so unresponsive it’s scary) address the issue unless any of you have additional ideas.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill659651 View Post
I’m new to this forum so I thought when I posted some pertinent info about my RV would be included in my post. I have a 2019 Coachman Leprechaun 319mb. In an effort to learn about our investment we have only gone on short local camping weekends. It has been cool and in every case we had both water and electricity so I didn’t need the AC and all other 120vac appliances worked because we had a electrical connection.

I was told by the dealer that I just needed to start the generator (and it does start easily) and it would provide the needed power for the 120vac appliances so I “assume” there is an auto transfer switch.

I tested the coach this am and started the generator, NONE of my 120vac appliances work. That includes the Microwave, the fireplace and the air conditioning.

I looked in the bay adjoining the generator and there is a electrical box and a black module with numerous cables connected to it. All connections are secure. There doesn’t appear to be a place to plug the 30amp power cord in to for a manual connection of the generator.

I have checked all of the fuses and circuit breakers all are on and I’ve reset (all off and then on) and they appear to be ok.

Thanks to everyone for their input and comments but now I’m lost and will probably need to have my dealer (yikes they are so unresponsive it’s scary) address the issue unless any of you have additional ideas.
So your saying A/C does work on shore power but not on Gen? How about your 120 volt outlets? If they don't work either then check the circuit breakers on the generator.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #7

You will appreciate that there is no wiring diagram to help!

Rv’s are wired leaning towards expeditiously. Translates to cheap and sloppy.

There are fuses and breakers all over! Be patient. Some owner here will eventually give you good advice. Tell you where that hidden breaker is.

Likely well before your dealer will answer their phone!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #8

From what information that i can find it appears your coach does not have a an auto transfer switch. Look closely in the compartment where your shore cord comes out of, there should be a matching receptacle for the shore cord to plug into. When plugged into that receptacle your generator will power the coach.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Bill......

You’ll notice a lot of members here post some info about their rigs here in their signature, it makes it easy when asking how your rig works. See mine? Include your year, make and model.

That said.....it sounds like the breakers on the generator itself are in the “off” position. I’ll assume you have an Onan or Cummins generator, so I’m not exactly sure where you’ll find them. On my Generac, they are quite visible when you pull the cover off. Also, yours being a newer rig, you probably do have auto transfer from the genny to the motorhome, but sometimes there’s a few seconds delay before power is passed through.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:

Go to CP user at the top left of this page. fill out your signature line. scroll down to bottom and hit save. It will appear in all your past and new posts.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #11

Just read what you wrote, can only be 2 things that I can think of and both have been stated either the dealer told you wrong and you need to plug in your power cord because you Don't have a transfer switch, or the breaker is off on the generator, it's located on the bottom right, not in your panel, on the onan itself. Check that out, there will also be a about a 90 sec delay before power when you F rist start it if you have auto transfer switch, you can also call Coachmen, they are very good in helping you and explaining things over the phone.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

My father in laws motorhome has a built in generator... Inside the compartment with the shore power cord, mounted on the top of the compartment facing down, is a 30amp outlet. We would never have seen it if we didn't know it was there! For him to run the generator he needs to start the gene, head outside to this compartment, and plug in his shore cord to this outlet- nothing automatic. A little pain, but once you know they hows its fairly easy- just not convenient.

We also found out the hard way- his generator will not run if the fuel tank is below 1/4 full in the vehicle. This doesn't seem to be your issue as the gene is running... but just in case you ever find yourself in a situation where it won't start!

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Just another example of very poor service by the selling dealer to be sure their customer knows and understands the very important systems on their R/V. They SHOULD have fired up the generator during your PDI/Customer Orientation and showed you how it all works. Shame on them!

I hope you find your issue and to me, it sounds like the breakers on the gen set.

As a side note... I would be marching right back to the dealer and have them do a proper PDI/Customer Orientation. I wouldn't give anyone thousands of dollars for something I didn't understand.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
2019 Leprechaun 319mb

Thanks, are you saying there are additional breakers physically on the generator in addition to the breakers in the panel that’s in the coach.

Btw, I’m trying to find another dealer with a little more responsiveness, otherwise known as Mission Impossible.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
2019 Leprechaun 319mb

Awesome, thanks! I’ll check that when I get home.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #16

Save yourself a lot of time. Go to Mark Tuggle RV Center - 5410 Chattahoochee Indust Park, Cumming, GA 30041. They’ll find the problem and fix it right away or make an appointment to bring in later.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Bill has a 2019 Coachman Leprechaun 319 MB Motorhome listed high in his name.

Thank you Bill for including your rig right there with your username.

Now to dispel all the wrong information. I looked at an online tour and noted a removable power cord. If your Coachman has this option you have a transfer switch for the 4 kw Onan Generator.

Check the side of the Generator housing for a breaker.

Cheers

Hope this gets resolved quickly.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Bill has a 2019 Coachman Leprechaun 319 MB Motorhome listed high in his name.

Thank you Bill for including your rig right there with your username.

Now to dispel all the wrong information. I looked at an online tour and noted a removable power cord. If your Coachman has this option you have a transfer switch for the 4 kw Onan Generator.

Check the side of the Generator housing for a breaker.

Cheers

Hope this gets resolved quickly.
What is misinformation that you referred to? I didn't read any at all, over and over it's been posted about his transfer switch or having to plug in a power cord or check the breaker,

Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
What is misinformation that you referred to? I didn't read any at all, over and over it's been posted about his transfer switch or having to plug in a power cord or check the breaker,
Right there.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Right there.
That is not mis information, read the whole thread, stop confusion. Your comment is very constructive, thank you.

Tags
110v