Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL Creeker View Post
I gotta ask this. Why do you put bleach in the fresh water tank?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...UOTlIqsSffR-tQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...agKp_UK_qEAcZw
Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #22
4898 retired

Thank you all for the great ideas. Needless to say I was WAY off on my usage of the bleach. As for a method to get it into the tank I知 going to try pouring it into the water hose. I also like the drill pump idea so I知 going to pick on up next time I知 out. Again I appreciate all the input. Now to get ready to head to Disney World in a few days with the grandchildren for a surprise trip.

lilsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsid View Post
Thank you all for the great ideas. Needless to say I was WAY off on my usage of the bleach. As for a method to get it into the tank I知 going to try pouring it into the water hose. I also like the drill pump idea so I知 going to pick on up next time I知 out. Again I appreciate all the input. Now to get ready to head to Disney World in a few days with the grandchildren for a surprise trip.
I see no problem with the pump as there are many other uses for it but it is not a necessity.

Have fun with the grandkids and enjoy the trip.....
Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
To sanitize the whole system after it's been stored.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #25
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
For the same reason municipalities put it in the "city" water systems. It kills bacteria. It makes the water potable.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #26
WFD

When doing this sanitizing procedure...where do you drain this FW tank full of solution to when its time to empty...if doing it at home you don't want bleach solution poured onto the yard?

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
When doing this sanitizing procedure...where do you drain this FW tank full of solution to when its time to empty...if doing it at home you don't want bleach solution poured onto the yard?

Rick
It's a weak enough solution it won't hurt anything. If worried catch it in buckets and pour it in a drain.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
It's a weak enough solution it won't hurt anything. If worried catch it in buckets and pour it in a drain.
It is also a way to treat an area for Parvovirus so it may protect your pets.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #29
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post

Rick
If you mixed in the correct proportion it is not harmful to the environment.
I discharge sanitizing solution in my yard all the time and it does not bother
anything.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #30

Some people take an empty bleach bottle and cut a section of the side out. They put the end of the bottle in the fresh water opening and with the cut side up pour the bleach into the bottle. It's clean, easy and free. Sounds like a good idea.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
Some people take an empty bleach bottle and cut a section of the side out. They put the end of the bottle in the fresh water opening and with the cut side up pour the bleach into the bottle. It's clean, easy and free. Sounds like a good idea.
For some of us that is not an option.

The water connection on the top left is my tank fill port.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

Our Montana had both. If you were dry camping and needed to add water how would you do it?
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Our Montana had both. If you were dry camping and needed to add water how would you do it?
I have not given that much thought to tell the truth, I imagine when the water ran out we would leave as the boss needs running water.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #34

Quote:
You know that's not a bad question. The only way you can do it would be to have bladder with you in a truck and a extra pump. That's good Montana has that option already. Maybe FR could steel it......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

Look at the video i posted. Not sure if it is the same kind of setup, but he pumps his in.

HOW TO: Sanitize an RV Water System: https://youtu.be/jEepug8N-aE

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Look at the video i posted. Not sure if it is the same kind of setup, but he pumps his in.

HOW TO: Sanitize an RV Water System: https://youtu.be/jEepug8N-aE

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Not the same but close.
I plan on putting 3/4 cup bleach in the hose and then fill the tank then using that water/bleach combo to dewinterize the rest of the system and then flush everything with another tank or two of fresh water.

Thanks for the vid!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #37

Had an interesting thing happen while sanitizing my water tank. I'm kind of new to the RV thing. I was filling my water tank and watching the water level indicator, I heard water running on the driveway and it was the overfill drain. It proceeded to siphon out my water tank. After about 30 gallons I opened a faucet and broke the siphon and it stopped, and I then refilled the water tank. Weird...

I liked your video I have to see if I can run the water pump and pull water into my RV with a water:bleach solution. If not, I'll do a hose/funnel thing.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #38
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Had an interesting thing happen while sanitizing my water tank. I'm kind of new to the RV thing. I was filling my water tank and watching the water level indicator, I heard water running on the driveway and it was the overfill drain. It proceeded to siphon out my water tank. After about 30 gallons I opened a faucet and broke the siphon and it stopped, and I then refilled the water tank. Weird...
That is highly unusual considering that the overflow is at the top of the tank. Yours must have a long tube in the tank to make that happen.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #39

The picture shows the same set up as our Chappy.The little black cap should of came with a fitting and long hose.You put the hose on where the small(1/2") cap is.Stick the hose in the bleach bottle and turn on the pump.It'll suck the bleach into the system.Worked on ours any way.Same as when you winterise the system.Pump the pink stuff in the lines or hook up a air hose to blow out the pump and lines.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
The picture shows the same set up as our Chappy.The little black cap should of came with a fitting and long hose.You put the hose on where the small(1/2") cap is.Stick the hose in the bleach bottle and turn on the pump.It'll suck the bleach into the system.Worked on ours any way.Same as when you winterise the system.Pump the pink stuff in the lines or hook up a air hose to blow out the pump and lines.
Interesting idea. Many of us do not have a water fill tube on our RVs. It takes a pressurized water line to fill the fresh water tank. But your comment about "Same as when you winterize the system." caught my attention.

In my case, and for many who don't have a water "fill tube", you disconnect the input line going into the water pump and connect a short hose that you stick into the gallon of RV antifreeze. Turn on the pump and suck the antifreeze out and pump it through the system.

Of course this won't work for putting bleach into the fresh water tank because the pump pulls the water from the tank; it does not push water into the tank.

Anyway I finished the chlorination of our system. I poured a cup and a half of bleach into my potable water hose and then connected it to a pressured water source and filled my 70 gallon water tank.

Let it sit overnight and the next day flushed it all out; twice. Added some more water and checked the output at the sinks and shower and it was now fresh smelling and tasted good. Job done, on to other things.

Based on something posted here I refrained from running the toilet until I had flushed out the system.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank