Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

Buying my first RV, Prism or Chateau

Hello All:
Until this last week, I'd never even ridden in an RV let alone gone to an RV park or camping (except for Forced Camping, Army Style).

But I have done my homework....much of it from this helpful site and just now joined.

I've settle on either a new, 2016 Prism 2250le at my local dealership ($74k but I'm trading in a late model Mustang and getting decent money for it, so the amount financed should be quite manageable.

The other option is a private seller '14 Thor Chateau w 30k miles but the price is nearly identical. My wife and I are going to see the Thor this afternoon and make our final decision at that time.

Until then, can anyone shed light on why the used Thor would be so pricey? Wondering if there are quality issues with Prisms I don't know about?

The Prism seems to actually have a few advantages over the Thor (besides being new): generator on 'utility' vs. 'patio' side, full awning on the patio side, additional pop up counter space, dinette vs inflatable bed, real oven, much better rear basement storage arrangement.

The Thor (well in the pics so far) looks to have a better exterior appearance, has an owner installed roof DISH dome, and better quality cabinetry, winterization pack (not a real selling point in San Antonio).

Any, and I mean, ANY advice is greatly appreciated. And it doesn't have to be just limited to my question above. I mean, the whole water tank transfer thing completely baffles me.

Thanks!!!
Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

Not sure if I can help you much. Looked at a used Thor last year and decided on our Prism. Wanted a Diesel, and new coach witha warranty. I am getting close to 19MPG with the Prism. We are nomads and do not park and spend time in parks, we move almost every day and cost to operate is an important portion of our BLMing, NP etc

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #3

I don't know the Thor, but I am happy with my Prism. Like you, I was a total newbie to rving. I took the plunge about a year ago and have no regrets. The only complaint that I have is that the fuel gague is pretty much useless. I now carry a few gallons of diesel, so no longer worry about running out of fuel.
pnashdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Not sure if I can help you much. Looked at a used Thor last year and decided on our Prism. Wanted a Diesel, and new coach witha warranty. I am getting close to 19MPG with the Prism. We are nomads and do not park and spend time in parks, we move almost every day and cost to operate is an important portion of our BLMing, NP etc
A man after my own heart....

We've checked out the 'Highest Rated RV Parks in Texas' just in our car and were very disappointed.

Once you get past the pool and clubhouse and take a left, it's no longer a Campground, but a trailer court scene from an episode of 'Cops'.

We plan on going to a number of wineries, breweries, distilleries and working farms that allow for free or low cost overnight stays if you just patronize the establishment. And some of them are just flat gorgeous.

And then the BLM, national and state parks. 4 days in one spot, max.

Or that's the plan. Who knows, I could be on the next episode of Cops at the Admiral RV and Trailer Park....just give me some time.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #5

We are in our 5th week of a SW tour 8000 miles so far...loving it! no idea where we will be staying each night. We do sometimes have a general plam. The Prism. is small enough to park anywhere (wish I had 4 more inches of clearance and 4x4... next MH!

USN-R '01-present
Old 02-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnashdc View Post
I don't know the Thor, but I am happy with my Prism. Like you, I was a total newbie to rving. I took the plunge about a year ago and have no regrets. The only complaint that I have is that the fuel gague is pretty much useless. I now carry a few gallons of diesel, so no longer worry about running out of fuel.
my MBS is a 2015, h\gauge works well. also have a ultragauge with % full and it is fairly accutate.

USN-R '01-present
Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Look at some construction features. Thor still uses luan wood in walls, vs the Azdel composite substrate. The idea behind that is less risk of delamination on the sidewalls. The luan will wick water and the composite won't or shouldn't. I was also looking at Thor Chateau and Quantum and decided on the Forester. Based a lot on construction differences. Either way, do a very thorough PDI of either unit. Happy camping.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

Fantastic advice from all. Downloaded the PDI from the site Library. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #9

I have been looking at various brands, I have a 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun and have had only one very small problem which Bretz RV took care of immediately. No problems at all since. I looked at all the problems and complaints by owners of the Thormotor Coach ACE and have pretty much decided if and when I get another unit it will most likely be made by Forest River or Winnabego. Google "XXX complaints" and see what comes up... XXX refers to the unit you are interested in, of course. Also you can Google XXX Forums and see what owners are saying .... don't rush. Sit in every seat. Open every drawer, every cabinet, can you see the tv from where you are sitting? Take lots of time and pretend you are living in it. How does it feel? Is the bathroom adequate? Lots of storage? Check every thing possible, don't trust salesmen, and don't rush... if the salesman insists on being with you every minute, tell him to go away while you think it over. How does the unit handle when you drive it? How about in the wind? .... I hope you get the right one and really enjoy it. Don't take delivery until you have every problem not matter how small fixed before you leave. Many, many people complain that warranty work is slow, so get it fixed before you take delivery.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote