Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 06:57 AM   #1

Changing Dump Valves on Freelander 20CB

I wanted to share some notes on changing the dump valves on the 20CB. My 20CB came with Bristol brand valves that became VERY hard to operate and leaked some internally. They didn't hold up well at all. They operated so hard a couple of the plastic handles broke. I replaced them with Valterra BladeX valves with metal handle. They now work easily and smoothly.

The installation was quite difficult due to the way the piping runs, so I thought others might appreciate some notes to make it easier.

20CB has three valves, a 3" Black tank valve and two 1-1/2" Gray Tank Valves. The Gray tank valve handle above the Black tank valve goes to the rear most Gray tank. The Gray tank valve bolts are 5/16" bolt head, 3/8" nut. The Black tanks bolts are 7/16" bolt head, 7/8" nut

The bottom two fasteners with the original Brisol valves were very rusty probably due to road spray kickup. Some wrung off in removing and that is a good thing as quarters are very close for some. One I has to grind the head off with an air die grinder and it still wouldn't come out and I had to drill it. The rusty bolt had welded itself to the plastic.

There is VERY little flex in the piping to the Gray tank valve above the Black tank valve. You can force the old valve out but can't install the new one without disturbing the new seals. The trick for this valve is to remove the Black tank valve first. This gives you just enough give in the piping to get that upper Gray tank valve in provided you use some Vaseline so the seal slides over the valve until seated.You can then get the Black tank valve in again, lubing it to slide in without disturbing the seals.

With the above tips it should take you hours less than it took me to do the job.

Jay
Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #2

Thanks for the info it may help others with this project.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve