RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #1

Chevy 4500 no radio and no fan! Help!

Hi everyone! I need help determining why I lost power to my radio and HVAC fan in the cab. Everything worked this morning while I drove to have the vehicle to be inspected and new rear valve stems installed. When I picked up the MH the radio and fan did not work (radio doesn't power up). Of course, the shop said they didn't touch anything electrical, which would seem likely, but still something has changed.

I check the fuses associated with the radio and fan but all were good. Any ideas? Any ideas on how to access the wiring to the radio and fan?

Thanks!
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:33 PM   #2

Coincidence? it was on hoist, jacks. Start simple and check battery terminal connections, how far you go after that depends on expertise under hood you may find additional fuses to check. If that fails you may find Goodwrench is best way to avoid further damage. Good luck.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:31 AM   #3

Check the relays too. They are notorious for dying an early death on the GM. I've replaced 5 so far on my 2014 4500 Class C. I carry spares.
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:44 AM   #4

Looking for schematics or wiring diagram for 4500

Schematics or a wiring diagram would be useful to see what the radio and fan have in common and help locate the problem. Any ideas on where I could get a wiring diagram?

Other electronics are fully functional.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #5

Solved the problem...at least temporarily

Well without a wiring diagram, I decided to pull the nearest relay and swap it with another similar relay to see if the symptom changes anyway, but before I did that I pulled the K1 (HC MICRO) RUN relay and reinstalled it. Voila! It solved the issue. Maybe the relay was loose in the socket. I don't know but everything is running fine (today). I plan on purchasing a couple of these 4 pin relays and keeping them with the MH.

I'd still be interested in a set of wiring diagrams for this Chevy 4500. Any takers?
Old 06-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

We have the same chassis but different coach. I just went thru 18 months of 'will it start?'. There were many times I would turn the key and nothing. Jiggling the gear shifter would sometimes get it to start.

Then I noticed when it didn't start, the Check Engine Light did not come on. No CEL, no start. Got it started and took it the local Chevy dealer and they said it was not the gear shift switch, but a bad starter. Hmmm.....

6 months go by and the same "will it start" continues. Until it will not start at all even when the CEL is on. Towed to same dealer and come to find out, it was a heavily corroded fuse block. Pounding on it would cause the symptoms and other things started to fail...like the radio and lights.

Moral of the story....I would carry extra relays, but I'd be checking the relay socket and fuse block for corrosion.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #7

Upfitters guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
Well without a wiring diagram, I decided to pull the nearest relay and swap it with another similar relay to see if the symptom changes anyway, but before I did that I pulled the K1 (HC MICRO) RUN relay and reinstalled it. Voila! It solved the issue. Maybe the relay was loose in the socket. I don't know but everything is running fine (today). I plan on purchasing a couple of these 4 pin relays and keeping them with the MH.

I'd still be interested in a set of wiring diagrams for this Chevy 4500. Any takers?
No problem! Search Google for
Chevrolet 4500 upfitters
and you can get what you need for free.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #8

Maybe a General Motors thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC38EL View Post
We have the same chassis but different coach. I just went thru 18 months of 'will it start?'. There were many times I would turn the key and nothing. Jiggling the gear shifter would sometimes get it to start.

Then I noticed when it didn't start, the Check Engine Light did not come on. No CEL, no start. Got it started and took it the local Chevy dealer and they said it was not the gear shift switch, but a bad starter. Hmmm.....

6 months go by and the same "will it start" continues. Until it will not start at all even when the CEL is on. Towed to same dealer and come to find out, it was a heavily corroded fuse block. Pounding on it would cause the symptoms and other things started to fail...like the radio and lights.

Moral of the story....I would carry extra relays, but I'd be checking the relay socket and fuse block for corrosion.
Maybe a General Motors thing. My son had the same thing happen to a 2004 Cadillac. But we didn't see any problem on a 2006 Yukon XL or a 2006 Tahoe.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post

Relay might have had corrosion in the sockets, the R&R "cleaned" the terminals
Electrical connection corrosion might be more of a problem in high humidity climates.

Tags
chevy express 4500, fan, no power, radio