Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #1

Question Coach Battery

Ok my rig sat in the driveway for two weeks went out today and house battery dead. Ever thing was off starting with battery switch. Any one have any Ideas ?
It has been in storage before sat 8 weeks no problems. This time two weeks they are dead ,were charge and are brand new. There is a small compartment to left of battery's it has a bunch of wires and looks like a solenoid/fuses. Well with the master switch in off position,these are still hot . Any one had a problem like this? Trying to get a Wiring Diagram. Six hours a way from dealer call them no help.

2018 311fs Leprechaun
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #2

PIcture

Picture on left this wires are hot all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_094901309.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	204277  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

Carl, I have your same unit. When I don't go by the storage for a few weeks the batteries go down. I have learned to go at least two week and turn the generator for 30 minutes. This takes care of keeping the batteries good.

It also takes care of exercising the generator. My generator's manual states that it needs to be warmed about I hour a month when not in regular use. I have divided this in two 30 minutes every two weeks.

I assuming what I am doing is correct as I am getting the results I want.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Carl.....

You mention that everything was ok with your rig when it sat for 8 weeks in storage, then house batteries go dead after only 2 weeks in your driveway.

What did you different since bringing it out of storage?
Have you been camping since coming out of storage?
I suspect something is running now since compared no out of storage.
Did you buy new batteries since coming out of storage?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

House Battery

Nothing has change other than dead battery's. All are new ,power switch off ,but some thing is draining them fast. Call dealer no help just bring it in 3 weeks and they will look at it when they get a chance. LOL 12 hour of driving.
Trying figure it out my self but weather not cooperating. Rain rain rain. Sent a Email to coachman but no response. One thing the leveler pump has power all time could be a glitch there. wiring diagram would help.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #6

There was something wired goofy here.

Do a good inspection of the battery area. Something is still connected to the batteries when the switch is turned off.

On mine only the lift system is operable when the disconnect is turned off. Nothing else.

Try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery. If they die you may have a defective battery. Autozone has a device to test cells. Cheap. Hydrometer.

When the switch is off a standard voltmeter with an ampmeter in it can be connected to the battery to measure the output. Be careful. Switch must be off as the meters are for minimal amps. Should read near 0.

I do not like to depend on rv dealers.

You gotta be handy! These campers are not simple. Electricity is often an issue.

Running the battery down to 0 is damaging to the battery. Needs a fix. Going to the trailer every week and running the battery is not a good plan.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
Nothing has change other than dead battery's. All are new ,power switch off ,but some thing is draining them fast. Call dealer no help just bring it in 3 weeks and they will look at it when they get a chance. LOL 12 hour of driving.

Trying figure it out my self but weather not cooperating. Rain rain rain. Sent a Email to coachman but no response. One thing the leveler pump has power all time could be a glitch there. wiring diagram would help.

Next time you call Coachmen, ask them to send you the wiring diagram, they will send it to you, there very good about that other FR divisions will not, but I know for a fact Coachmen will,

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
I seldom get to turn on the leveler for our Leprechaun, but I did this trip. I noticed that after I pushed to auto-level button and it leveled itself, that
the Leveler power button stayed on until I shut it off a minute or so later. I'm not sure if the On-button has an auto-off built into it, but if it doesn't, it would be easy to leave it on where it may have drawn a higher idle current, maybe enough to kill the batteries much sooner.

There is supposedly, an auto-retract feature built in to the system that is supposed to quickly retract the jacks if somebody turns the engine ignition key on. That would mean, I assume, that the leveler jack computer is "listening" all the time for this possibly catastrophic event (Catastrophic in the sense that moving an RV with the jacks down usually results in major damage).

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #9

Power draw

I have notice that the levelers have power all the time . I have trip the breaker for them still seem to have power. When i un hook battery's at ground cable and rehook at a later time there is a good spark when reconnecting them . SO something is drawing on them. Sent a Email to coachman two weeks ago no response.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

I'm interested if you do get a response, Carl17. Mine indicate that they are off (power light goes out) if the power light is on and I push the power button one more time. One light that does stay on, at least for a bit, is the "all up" indicator.

But like I said, the leveler computer must "listen" to the ignition all the time if it really does determine that all jacks are properly raised for safety when the ignition is turned on.
Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #11

there are becoming more and more devices that stay awake and listen. anything with a remote transmitter needs a receiver that is awake and listening for it. any device that operates via a touch panel needs to have power to it to recognize a touch. things that utilize a mechanical on/off switch will not draw power when the switch is off but these electronic things don't turn all the way off, they go to standby mode and that takes power. also, may devices get wired directly to the batteries and do not use the common battery cables. the only sure way it to install a true disconnect switch on the battery terminal or cable.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #12

battery drain

For right now Ii unhook neg. cables.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #13

I installed a Battery Disconnect switch in the battery compartment (Easy)to switch off the negative side of the battery circuit. Batteries have never died.
Daphlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #14

battery dis connect

Ya that looks like next step. the most draw seems to be coming from levelers and some thing else haven't had time to rely get into it. Small draws from propane and smoke alarms .

So what type of dis connect did you use?
Old 06-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #15

I installed a rotary switch I purchased at Autozone
Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphlin View Post
I installed a rotary switch I purchased at Autozone
Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	208027  
Old 06-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Ya that looks like next step. the most draw seems to be coming from levelers and some thing else haven't had time to rely get into it. Small draws from propane and smoke alarms .

So what type of dis connect did you use?
LPG leak detector yes, but Smoke Detector???

If it's drawing power replace it with a good battery powered one that has a "10 year battery" in it. New detectors are sealed and when the low battery alarm starts beeping, just replace the whole unit. Chances are the sensor element(s) are contaminated with environmental pollution and no longer work as well as they should thus the new trend toward sealed units (as well as preventing people from stealing batteries for kid's toys, etc).

While you're at it, get a combination CO/Smoke Detector. When your LPG/CO combination fails (and it will because it has a timer in it), you will only have to replace it with a less expensive LPG (only) detector/alarm.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #18

In our Mirada it was the power step that was wired hot. I guess they didn’t bother to run everything through the shutoff switch. I just installed a shutoff switch right on the battery cable. Now I know everything is off
Glen62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Ok my rig sat in the driveway for two weeks went out today and house battery dead. Ever thing was off starting with battery switch. Any one have any Ideas ?
It has been in storage before sat 8 weeks no problems. This time two weeks they are dead ,were charge and are brand new. There is a small compartment to left of battery's it has a bunch of wires and looks like a solenoid/fuses. Well with the master switch in off position,these are still hot . Any one had a problem like this? Trying to get a Wiring Diagram. Six hours a way from dealer call them no help.

2018 311fs Leprechaun
I just purchased a new Leprechaun 260DS. The first thing I did was to install a Victron Energy BVM-712 Smart battery monitor. It tells me the current draw in real time and predicts how long the battery will supply energy at the current draw. When everything is "off", I draw about 0.3 amps which is about 11 days of usage. When I turn off the batteries, my current draw goes to 0.
I would install this unit and see what the current draw is when everything is off. Then start removing fuses, one at a time to see where the current is going.

www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-712-smart
Gllo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #20

Wes, in mine the auto-retract does not go on by itself. When I turn on the engine with the levelers down, a strong beep continues, the leveling system does not work. I have to turn the engine off before retracting the levelers.

Carl, I have a similar problem when I did not go to the storage for more than two weeks, After that incident, I installed this battery disconnect that I bought from Amazon.

Ampper Side Post Knife Blade Master Switch, Battery Disconnect Switch Isolator for Marine Car Boat RV ATV Vehicles (with Long Bolt)
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery