Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #1

Coachmen 2017 20cb and its use under 32 degrees.

Can anyone advise if this RV can be used at this temp? I see it has heating pads on all the tanks and assume the hot water tank would be safe as well with hot water on. I just bought this RV and was going to take a trip to Florida from New York before it hits 32 here end if week. I also seem though temps all the way down to Georgia look to be dropping to 32 also. I was hoping not to have drive straight through but needed some insight.

Thank you
NB2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #2

You have nothing to worry about, you will be fine, if you stop at night get a space heater to use inside the unit, and if it is going to freeze at night just use your water tank not the hose for city water, also you should have tank heaters turn them on when your hooked to 110v , they are 12v but they will eat a battery up. I travel from Virginia to Miami yearly , never a problem yet, this year I’m leaving in the end of Dec. much colder then now and that is my routine that I use when I hit cold, cold weather. Have a safe trip.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
You have nothing to worry about, you will be fine, if you stop at night get a space heater to use inside the unit, and if it is going to freeze at night just use your water tank not the hose for city water, also you should have tank heaters turn them on when your hooked to 110v , they are 12v but they will eat a battery up. I travel from Virginia to Miami yearly , never a problem yet, this year I’m leaving in the end of Dec. much colder then now and that is my routine that I use when I hit cold, cold weather. Have a safe trip.
Thank you very much for the reply. I do have holding tank heating pads that is correct.My hot water is propane though. I assume there is no heating pad where it is under the kitchen counter not easily accesible. Like my house I worry about frozen pipes.I have read most tank pads do not come on until temps hit 45.Not sure if the ones they used have thermostats. Safe travels and I will wave if I see you.
NB2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2A View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. I do have holding tank heating pads that is correct.My hot water is propane though. I assume there is no heating pad where it is under the kitchen counter not easily accesible. Like my house I worry about frozen pipes.I have read most tank pads do not come on until temps hit 45.Not sure if the ones they used have thermostats. Safe travels and I will wave if I see you.

Yes they all have thermostats, and yes there is no pad for the H/W heater

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #5

You didn't mention it, but you need to be connected to some power so that you do not run out of battery power. The water heater doesn't need a pad.as long as it is on.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #6

As stated there are pads for the black and gray tanks.

You can keep the propane on to the HWT or you could add a Hot Shot electric rod (we did). It is an electric element that goes in the drain plug. You have to attach the thermostat to the back of the tank (after trimming some styrofoam) and run a 120V circuit to it with a switch (we put ours near the door). Not the easiest install, but work great.

In our 20CB, the fresh water tank and pump is under the bed. If the inside is warm, the tank and pump shouldn't freeze. PEX plumbing is slightly tolerance of freezing. No outside shower on the 20CB to worry about.

Jay
Old 11-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #7

20CB at 16 degrees

We had parked our 20CB overnight while we stayed inside a rented home while visiting Taos, NM in mid October. 60 deg during the day but was shocked to see the desert air had plummeted to 16 by morning. Rushed outside to get her warmed up, it was 25f inside! Ran the heater plus the engine for an hour or so turning on the tank heaters as well. I also opened the cupboard doors to allow the warmed air to move inside. When it was well warmed up i checked for leaks. NO leaks I was lucky but since the only plumbing outside is the tanks and drain pipes the MH is quite safe from the cold.
Cheers

2022 Coachmen Apex Remote 16R (Remo)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen