Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
tip

Coachmen 2017 Mirada BH35

Has any one had issues with the headlights? At night i can only see about 15 feet in front of me. The dealer said that there was nothing they could do and suggested that i buy brighter bulbs. Any advice?
tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
WDW

Never driven at night. But I’ve wondered. Maybe some addd on gutter LEDs down in front?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Never driven at night. But I’ve wondered. Maybe some addd on gutter LEDs down in front?
I did not drive at night until we went to Vegas last Nov. Thats when i noticed the problem. If not for that trip, i would have never known.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tip View Post
Has any one had issues with the headlights? At night i can only see about 15 feet in front of me. The dealer said that there was nothing they could do and suggested that i buy brighter bulbs. Any advice?
Same problem with our 2015 Encounter. Look at the headlight assemblies for a part number. They are probably made by Eagle Eyes out of China, absolute junk. Once you have their part number do a Google search for what vehicle they came out of. Search a junkyard for the real thing, it will take some creativity to get them in but it's well worth it.

In my case my headlights were out of a 2005 Audi. Finding those in a junkyard was almost impossible and the cost was over $500 each. I had to research the aftermarket junk and find an alternative that was better than Eagle Eyes. Still not much better but at least I can see where we're going.

You might also add an LED light bar to the front, those add a lot of light to the road and if aimed properly won't affect other drivers.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Dahagen

Wouldn't this be a safety issue and subject to a recall? Never driven my Mirada at night, however. I don't want to miss happy hour.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #6

Brightness? Or aim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tip View Post
Is this a brightness issue? Or an aim issue? Possibly your headlamps are simply pointing downward. As a rough check, go to a shopping center with a flat parking lot after dark. Pull up so you are 25 feet from a storefront. The spots your headlights make on the store window should be about the same height from the ground as the headlights are. If they are grossly off, they need to be aimed (not focussed). Around here, most inspection places will do this for free as a courtesy, but if you want to do it yourself, it's not hard. Directions are here.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Wouldn't this be a safety issue and subject to a recall? Never driven my Mirada at night, however. I don't want to miss happy hour.
As long as the China junk passes DOT specifications there won't be a recall.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

I have a 2015 Mirada 29ds and have the same issue, And there is no adjustment. What I had to do was back out the screws and "shim" as necessary ,There better but not good
LaVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #9

I have a 2016 Mirada 35 LS and have the same issue. I would like to replace the headlights but can’t figure out how to access the and what to buy.
mdebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #10

Poor Headlights

I had the same problem with my Coachman Encounter. They were able to adjust the headlight up at RV world. Most state laws require headlights to discern a person 400 ft ahead on brights and 250 ft on low beam.
jdcluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #11

Lightning issues should be reported to the federal highway safety administration. If they get enough complaints they will look into it. The headlights on the Coachmen Pursuit are the worst ever. They are based on the Chevy Silverado headlights, but with so called projector low beams. A old D cell flashlight from the 60's are brighter.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
That's what i thought too. According to the service folks "it's within specs". I don't agree. I normally don't miss happy hour either, but kids were sleeping and gave me a chance to press on..
Old 06-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #13
tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Is this a brightness issue? Or an aim issue? Possibly your headlamps are simply pointing downward. As a rough check, go to a shopping center with a flat parking lot after dark. Pull up so you are 25 feet from a storefront. The spots your headlights make on the store window should be about the same height from the ground as the headlights are. If they are grossly off, they need to be aimed (not focussed). Around here, most inspection places will do this for free as a courtesy, but if you want to do it yourself, it's not hard. Directions are here.

Larry
First two pictures are on high beam and the other two are regular beam.Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_185800.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	175945Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_185812.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	175946Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_185831.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	175947Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_185844.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	175948
Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
WDW

But you do have driving lights too. They are much brighter. ???
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #15

we have a 2017 coachman pursuit with the same problem , Camping in Oregon last week , met a fellow that mount four 4 inch of road lights on the front of his RV. Boy do they light up the night. I am going to look into these for are Pursuit .
Dan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #16
1sd

I've invested many hours in trying to improve the lighting on my 2016 Mirada BH. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs which helped with overall light but did nothing to increase the distance I could see. I tried adjusting them but again it didn't do much. The adjustment is really a pain in the neck (literally) The adjuster is very small and is on top of the headlight assembly. You have to really look to find it. It consists of a silver colored hex nut on the far outside edge of the assembly. Moving it does very little to move the beam. And it ONLY adjusts the low beam. It has no effect on the high beam. To me it wasn't worth the hassle to get in there, but if you have some time to kill, you might want to try it.

What really helped was replacing the crappy, cheap "driving lights" in the lower valance with some after-market quality driving lights. There are several small driving lights that will fit into the openings. It took a little work to get everything mounted but it really wasn't that difficult. With what I did, it still isn't perfect but it's definitely an improvement over the factory junk.
1sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #17

Even cars and trucks can be real bad. Consumer Reports has started testing headlight performance when they test cars. Some of them are really bad.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen