Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Coachmen concord chassis battery charging

I have a 2013 Coachman Concord, Class C motorhome, is the chassis battery being charged when the motorhome is plugged into campground pedestal. Thanks in advance
larryhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 AM   #2

If it does have the ability to charge the chassis batyrry you will be able tobsee 13 plus volts in a meter across the terminals. I have a coachmen prism and it does not. Was not happy w that. I put in a trik L start on mine. You could run a maintained and simply plug into the 110 inside the camper. Will only work when plugged in via the 30amp
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #3

Ditto on the battery maintainer . To make things real simple I just use a power point adapter in the dash "cig. lighter" as on mine at least this is on the coach battery system.
KAttkisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

No the chassis battery is not typically charged when plugged up in a campground. The easiest way to rectify this would be to get a small charger and plug it into the camper, then when you are plugged up the chassis battery will charge too.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Wire up a Trik-L-Start for an easy, cheap and inexpensive permanent solution.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra...D969A916756228

One wire to positive house battery. One to positive engine battery. One to ground.
Done!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Chassis battery charging.

I have a Coachmen Freelander and I know the chassis battery does not charge with shore power. Although the chassis charging system does charge the coach batteries when running or driving. So if you are using a maintainer to keep the chassis battery topped off, will it also charge the coach batteries?
While the Freelander is in storage I keep it plugged in with the shore power cord and I keep a maintainer on the chassis battery. But I wondered If the maintainer isnt already charging the coach batteries. Or, why I couldnt run jumpers to the chassis battery so I would not need the seperate maintainer.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post

One wire to positive house battery. One to positive engine battery. One to ground.
Done!
Now that is slick... on my mod list.

Aaron

Old 12-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #8

Thanks to all that replied, I went out this morning and my chassis battery was dead, guess I know the answer, it doesn't charge when connected to shore power. Thank you all so much.
larryhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:

Done!
Like it. I Just put it on my spring mod wish list.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Do you have your battery disconnect switch set to ON or OFF while plugged into shore power?
Garmin RV 660 MLT
2008 Jeep Sahara
-Blue Ox base plate | Ready Brute Elite
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #11

Battery disconnect.

I keep the switch to on. I have not tried it but I read that if the switch is off the alarms will chirp?
Old 12-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #12

My bad... I missed the fact that you were talking about the chassis battery.
Garmin RV 660 MLT
2008 Jeep Sahara
-Blue Ox base plate | Ready Brute Elite
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #13

The alarms chirp because the house battery runs down from the long term parasitic loads. ---Alarms--antenna amp. etc. These are disconnected with the battery disconnect.

I will throw this out there. This is what I do since I can plug in easily but I don't want to keep 12 volt power on or 115 on to the invertor. I installed a battery maintainer on both the house battery and the coach battery in the electric box where the "emergency" solenoid is located and there are feeds from the house and coach battery in close proximity. These are $34 dollar 1/2 amp units from Wal-mart with 3 amp fuses. These are permanent hook-ups and are fed by a light extension cord that permanently runs outside for 115v hook up . Throw the house battery disconnect on the way out and plug in. The next time you want to use the camper everything is fresh on both batteries.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
I keep the switch to on. I have not tried it but I read that if the switch is off the alarms will chirp?
My alarm does the same thing. I have had my Coach since December 20. No gas leaks and the battery is fully charged. The instructions on the alarm says the unit needs to be replaced since it is blinking red/green.
topdoggette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:

Done!
Please explain this to me a little more. I am a newbie and I am looking at the Trik-L-Start and I am not sure of what you are saying. Duh...
Old 12-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #16
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAttkisson View Post
The alarms chirp because the house battery runs down from the long term parasitic loads. ---Alarms--antenna amp. etc. These are disconnected with the battery disconnect.

~snip~
Maybe...

I haven't checked my Concord because it stays plugged in when I am at home. But on several other units I have owned over the years the battery disconnect DID NOT disconnect everything. On my last unit the fridge control board and the alarms stayed on.

Aaron

Old 12-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #17

2009 coachman freedlander the switch kills everything including the alarms and the Ref. control board.

The disconnect switch is not usable with 115 volt AC current plugged in. It has to be unplugged for this switch to operate. I was told that this was a Refrigerator safety logic device to keep 12 volts to the ref.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #18

Chirping when on battery

Let me get more detailed with the problem. My alarm does not chirp with the motorcoach running or the generator running. . It only does this when the Coach is on battery. . Looked in the book and not much there. . I read the C02/02 alarm itself. . The light is alternating red/green. . The instructions on the unit itself says that it needs to be replaced when this happens. . I just bought the thing less than 3 weeks ago. Cg
Old 12-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #19

Something to check on the chirping with the symptoms described:
With your generator off and the shore line not plugged in check your battery voltage. I know you state that the battery is fully charged but find out for a fact that it reads 12.3 volts or above by itself. It could be that there is a dead cell in the battery that is lowering voltage to a point that the alarms will chirp. This low voltage would be compensated for by your invertor when provided with 115vAC with either shore power or generator.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #20

Chirping when on battery

Thanks for the idea. . That never occurred to me. . Well, actually that is out of my knowledge base. . I will have to have someone else look at it.

☺️

Tags
battery, charging, coachmen