Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Coachmen factory service assessment

Coachmen owners just wanted you to know my thoughts and experiences with the Coachmen service department and factory.
I had made arrangements back in March with Coachmen service to install a door awning and a hide-a-bed after the rally.
We attended the FROG Rally in Goshen August 3 - 9 (had a blast by the way) highly recommend it.
While we were at the rally we had submitted a work request for a few warranty issues we had. A Coachmen rep stopped by and visited with us about our needs and we told him we had an appointment Monday at the factory.
We met with Bob Jewell Monday morning and he already had us set up for everything. This is what they took care of:
Replaced our main awning due to a 2" tear
Replaced a slide topper that had unfurled twice while driving
Adjusted our kitchen slide and replaced the the roller wheel under the fridge that was sliding instead of rolling (this one we weren't even aware of until they told us)
Adjusted screen door ...now better than new
Replaced bathroom vent fan
Repaired a dinette cushion
And a few other things I can't think of right now
All this at no charge and no questions asked.

Fantastic folks to work with!
There are essentially two rallies you can attend and pretty much get the same results. The Coachmen rally held this year in Goshen Indiana in June and the FROG Rally held in Goshen in August. I highly recommend one or the other or both if you can. ...you won't regret it.
We will be Forest River / Coachmen owners for life. Just can't say enough good things about these folks

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #2

Glad to hear that you had a great experience! I wish they weren't so far away for us to make the trip.
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

It's good to hear that someone had a positive experience with the factory.
Unfortunately, the Pursuit customer service and warranty folks don't even come close to providing that level of service. I will be taking my unit in for the third time
to address two of the same issues and more poor quality items that crept up on our 3 month adventure. The notion of having to attend an organized Coachmen "Love Fest" to get necessary repairs effected is not a reasonable expectation in my book.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
It's good to hear that someone had a positive experience with the factory.
Unfortunately, the Pursuit customer service and warranty folks don't even come close to providing that level of service. I will be taking my unit in for the third time
to address two of the same issues and more poor quality items that crept up on our 3 month adventure. The notion of having to attend an organized Coachmen "Love Fest" to get necessary repairs effected is not a reasonable expectation in my book.
I attended Goshen as well and had great service also have a great dealer that looks after any issue I have brought to them as well. I take it you dealers is less than ideal in meeting your service needs?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Customer Service or maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I attended Goshen as well and had great service also have a great dealer that looks after any issue I have brought to them as well. I take it you dealers is less than ideal in meeting your service needs?
Not the case here. My dealer, RV World of Nokomis, does a good job addressing my service needs. The problem lies with getting support from Coachmen while I am traveling. Even after multiple written requests, the folks at plant 310 totally failed to support the dealers and repair shops that were trying to fix Coachmens poor quality and get us back on the road. I believe that there may be a new Warranty & Customer service manager at Coachmen 310 so if thàt is true, I'm hoping the dismal past performance I have experienced will improve.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Not the case here. My dealer, RV World of Nokomis, does a good job addressing my service needs. The problem lies with getting support from Coachmen while I am traveling. Even after multiple written requests, the folks at plant 310 totally failed to support the dealers and repair shops that were trying to fix Coachmens poor quality and get us back on the road. I believe that there may be a new Warranty & Customer service manager at Coachmen 310 so if thàt is true, I'm hoping the dismal past performance I have experienced will improve.
There was a guy there named John, last name started with a V....can't spell it, remember it or pronounce it...none the less, he is gone

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

My 2013 Mirada the dash A/C quit cooling on the way to Paso Robles two weeks ago 110 outside, the dash vent A/C was cooling to 90 maybe. Stopped by Wallymart and got a 134a recharge cylinder, not the best choice, but the wifey and I weren't happy. Got it down to 70 or so. Turns out the Ford 3 year/36K mile warranty doesn't apply because Coachmen modified the dash evaporator during install, and their 1 year warranty applies. Took it to an independent guy with a supposedly good reputation, he sucked it out and leak tested and found a missing Viton "O" ring on one of the lines. $250 to me and no seven year extended warranty coverage. Missing part, not a damage or failure so no coverage. While there I had them change the oil and filter on the engine and the generator. OK, $429 out the door. They also said they'd lube the Zerk fittings on the front end. Got home yesterday from their shop and looked underneath. No way that they lubed those Zerk fittings. And they came well recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	61600  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Customer Service Found in Middlebury

Bad News, Good News and Reason for concern.

My Hydraulic leveling pump went out with the gear down!
I'll leave the details out so I don't get off topic. I ended up having to contact LCI
for help. Shannon at LCI walked the Coach-Net truck repairman through the emergency retraction process and when that did not work, he authorized additional efforts. Then he asked me if I was going to be near Goshen. When I said I could, he scheduled repair at the Factory Level-Up & TrailAir Service Center. When we arrived 10 min early for our 8am appointment, Bruce, the shop Manager was waiting to direct us into the repair bay! He then took us (including fur kids) to the customer lounge next door. I was not feeling well so I asked for directions to an urgent care. Next thing I know they had their on-staff paramedic
come out to offer assistance. Turns out the paramedic was Shannon!
They replaced the entire pump/valve assembly as Coachmen installed a discontinued unit during assembly and repair parts were not available.
I also received a follow-up call from Shannon checking on the repair and my health.

Next morning we headed to Middlebury where we were able to schedule an appointment at the Coachmen Service Center.
Bob Jewell, armed with copy of the repair list, picked up the ball and made a real effort to resolve the recurring issues which included redesigning and fabricating the generator compartment to keep it from overheating.
He also corrected the mattress issue. Mr Jewell had one of his techs and 3 folks from the plant working on the repairs all day. They were able to fix all but a few
minor issues which will fall on the dealerships service dept.

What I did not get, yet again, was any customer service from Plant 310.
Vrydaghs is no longer with Coachmen. Nate Hedges is the acting Service Manager. He did respond to my email however his responses were either a buck pass to Bob Jewell or a disjointed response. It appears to this observer that Mr Hedges has been thrown into the deep end. His assistant, Victoria Randolph is out for months on M-Leave.

Bottom line for me is that there is customer service available from Bob Jewell at the Service Center but still none evident from Plant 310. That makes it difficult for the Dealers to get anything done.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #9

Pretty much sums up Bob Jewell is a 'Jewel'

Hope your health has improved or continues to improve.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #10

We met Nate while at the FROG Rally this year. Nate was most defiantly over loaded with work. Also the parts people were on overload due to being short a person. I will be working with Nate to get our few issues corrected at the factory. Do not feel the dealer is remotely capable to do it. This is based on the mess up of work they have done already. Did not get to meet Bob Jewell at the rally.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, factory, service