Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #1

Coachmen Freelander Stabilizer Problems

We own a 2019 Coachmen Freelander 27QB Class C motorhome with a Chevy 4500 chassis. We are newbies as we bought this from an individual about 3 months ago. We have been out for five short trips learning the ropes.

It has 4 Equalizer Systems Model 81400LPES electric screw stabilizers (not hydraulic) I would say they worked when we bought the vehicle but I actually only saw them go up, not down. We are having problems with them going down. They will always go up. On the first trip the LF, LR,RF worked, the RR did not go down. The retracted just fine. When I got home they all worked in the driveway. On the 3rd trip they all worked up and down. On our 4th recent trip the LR was the only one that went down. I took a rechargeable drill along and cranked the other 3 down a little bit, then tried and they would not go down. But they went up with no problem. So I cranked them down with the electric drill to gust make firm contact (but not lift) When we were ready to leave they all went up just fine.

Each time we have tried to lower them they make an electrical motor noise for a second then stop. So today I had a helper run them while I watched each one from underneath. The LR came down just fine as it did on out trip. The other 3 did not come down. I could see the manual operation nut rotate about 3/4 of a rotation and stop (almost like a torque switch was shutting them off) I carefully looked at the stabilizer frames and do not see any bent or even slightly twisted parts. Since they all will retract electrically, it doesn't seem like it is a power supply problem.

I went to the Equalizer Systems website/manuals section and only find info about hydraulic systems. I don't see anything about Electric Stabilizers. I will give them a call, but would appreciate any experience/trouble shooting tips others can share.

I'm quite experienced with a set of wrenches and a Voltmeter, but not a mechanic by trade.
I can usually make electric thinks shoot sparks, but those darned mechanical things will almost never spark.
Oliver244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #2

I did get an email reply from Equalizer Systems. They said many systems are installed where the ignition key has to be off AND the parking brake has to be set before the stabilizers will go down as a safety.

Has anyone else been told that?

While I've never had the ignition on I may or may not have had the parking brake set. That's the first I've heard of that. But if that's the case, why has the LR always worked?? It will be a few days before I can check that out,, I'll keep ya'll posted.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:03 PM   #3

Ignition off and parking brake on is something I heard before. Since yours are electric, mine are hydraulic, it must be a bad connection. These are tricky as they sometimes give trouble and other times do not. If I were you, I would look at a wire or connection going bad. Good luck!
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #4

Well I got over to the RV and tried the stabilizers. Three went down with the parking brake set. Then i took the parking brake off and the same three went down. So there doesn't seem to be any safety circuit in the stabilizer wiring or it's what's not working. I'm trying to get a manual and wiring diagram from Equalizer Systems, still waiting.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #5

I've called Equalizer Systems Technical Support 7+ times. I always get the recording to leave a message and they will call back. No call backs yet. I filled out their only line support form and got a reply to contact their technical Support department, or a certified repair facility.

It appears Technical Support is not one of there strong points.

Tags
coachmen, stabilizer