Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

Coachmen Leprechaun 311FS

I have no power to the washer/dryer in my 2021 311FS. I have tried making sure the power is off to the hot water tank. (which works fine). Under the seat where the hot water tank is, I see the romex cable from the power switch to the H/W tank and the cable from the washer which ends at a quick disconnect and is not plugged into anything. Which is why there is no power to the washer. Any body know where it is supposed to be plugged into?
jkashuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I can't help you but I'm sure someone on the forum will have the correct advice soon.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. You are correct, once you turn off the electric water heater it should work. Did you look to see if the washer is plug into the power outlet inside the closet where the washer is placed?
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. The wire from the washer ends under the seat next to the hot water tank. There is a quick disconnect plug on the end but I don't know where it goes.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #5

Thanks for responding to my email. I don’t know where it goes but I’ll look in mine. I’ll get back to you today or tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #6

Thanks for your help. Did you get a chance to look under your seat to see where the washer line is connected? I am getting no support from coachmen at all!!!
Old 08-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #7

Well, this is what I found. Originally in my unit the wires from the washer were connected to a connector like the one in the photo in the location you mentioned. However, my brother-in-law, who is an electrician, told me it was a hazard to use a connection like that so close to the water heater. He couldn't understand why the manufacturer was not doing a better job on this. He replaced the whole thing with a 4"x4" and 2"x2" water resistant boxes. So I do not have the original connection in place, but feel more safe. However, I kept the connector and are attaching a photo in case it helps. I assume your connector must have some connection unused or open, and that it where the connection should go. But I suggest you get an electrician and fix it for good. MHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	260545  
Old 08-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #8

I REALLY appreciate your help. I think you may be missing what I am saying. There is no place to connect the plug to. I can install a box like you described but I need to know where to draw the power from. If you follow the line back to the source and take some pictures, I think I can take it from there.
Thanks again,
John
Old 08-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #9

If you want photos going forward under the seats, I can take them for you. However, if you want photos under and behind the refrigerator is not doable. I already looked. Please let me know so I can help.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:51 PM   #10

Yes I need pictures going forward.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #11

Great! I will get them for you. NP.We are here to help one another.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #12

I am not sure my photos will be much help as I am not sure where goes the connection. In mine, all 110v goes to the main fuse box. I am sending photos of all 110V connections. My hunch is that since the electric water heater and the washer work with the same fuse, if you look at where it the fuse for the electric water heater that should be where is connected in the big fuse box. In my unit this would be in the top right hand side of the fuse box. However, this is not my area of expertise.

You stated that your unit is 2021. Isn't it under warranty? Hasn't the dealer helped you?

Anyway, here are the photos of all 110v connections. You may want to compare with the connections in your fuse box. Maybe could help. Hope this help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1396 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	260562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	260563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	260564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	260565  
Old 08-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #13

I have been thinking on how to be helpful. as I am not sure I have been of much help. In part is because for electrical stuff I ask my brother-in-law.
In the 311FS, the washer/dryer does not work unless the electric water heater is off. So, if I were you, I would look using the electric water heater connections in you unit. Somewhere the has to be a switch/connection where both the electric water heater and the washer and dryer come together. Assuming this is correct, then there should be a place to connect your wires from the washer/dryer. You can start from the back switch in the panel backwards, or from the water heater following the wire connection. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Wish you well.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #14

Hi Jon,
You are exactly correct. I have done all that you said. There is a blue romex cable that runs from the breaker panel directly to the W/H. There is another blue romex cable that runs from the washer/dryer to the area around the H/W tank and just ends with a quick disconnect fitting at the end. Obviously something is missing that connects the washer cable to a power source, (maybe inside the box on the H/W tank?).

Anyways, I bought the unit out of state used with 900 miles on it so no warranty and the dealer writes down all my questions and promises to get back to me, but he never does. Coachmen support will not answer my emails or return my calls. So far you are the only one that has offered any help at all. I am a retired home improvement contractor and if I can ever be of any help to you, please just let me know.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #15

I think you need to get a connector where you connect the electric water heater and the washer and drier together. Then when you are going to use the water heater, you need not to turn the washer/dryer. And when you are not using the washer/dryer, you can turn the electric water heater. This will prevent the fuse to shut off. I think thats what we do. I think this is the purpose of the first connector photo I email you. Mine came with it, and was working. My brother-in-law replace it for safety reasons.

In addition, please in mind that you have only 30 amps. So you can only use no more than two of these items at the same time: A/C, electric water heater,microwave, some electric coffee pots, hair blower, etc. If not you will trip the fuses. Just a tought.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #16

Plan A was to wire it as it was intended. Plan B is to do exactly what you said and just tap into the H/W line. I have actually used the washer by plugging into the outlet in the closet. Thank you again for all your time and effort.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #17

I am not sure what you meant by "I actually used the washer by plugging into the outlet in the closet." Mine has an outlet inside the washer and dryer compartment where it has to be plugged to work. Mine also has two outlets outside in the closet. So, I do not know which one you meant.

As I looked at mine, as you are mentioning plan A, my electrical water heater connection goes to a water proof junction box that my brother-in-law installed, replacing the two white connectors that were in place. These connectors were like the first photo I sent you.

I am not an electrician, but I assume he brought the power from the front to the joint box and split the wires so that both units can have access to power but only one at a time for amperage limitations. It has worked without problems and is not protected from water damage.

By the way, I had a one time leak from the water heater as the in and out connection are plastic. I had water all over from it. It was no fun. This prompted the change of the connections, in the area.

Just my thoughts. Hope you can find a way. By the way, I am also retired. Wish you well.

Tags
coachmen