Old 12-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #1

Converter Location

Hi

I have a 2018 Coachmen Mirada Select, 37LS. Does anyone know where the converter is located? I need to check the outgoing voltage but cannot locate it. It is not mounted behind the electric distribution panel.

I have a 1000W Inverter/Charger - for residential refer only I assume?

I'm currently using the motorhome full time. Lights started flickering last night. I have a Techma toilet which is electric and when flushed I thought all 12V systems was shutting down! The AGS is displaying sporadic battery voltage 13.8/9 to 15.1 volts.

Appreciate your assistance.

Steve

Old 12-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

Converter Location

I recently upgraded to a Mirada Select as well.
I am really having a great time with it!
I have the 37tb, and my converter is located in the first basement compartment to the LEFT, of the entry door. Itís on the right side, near the top. It has to be as close as possible to the house batteries, (Located under the entry step) because of the high current draw.
I hope this helps you!

Oakwood Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #3

you can check converter voltage anywhere. With battery disconnect "on" and plugged into shore power or generator running read voltage at battery or any 12v source. Then turn off or unplug shore power, now your converter has no power, check voltage at same location. It should be noticably higher when plugged into shore power, showing converter is working. sounds like it isn't if lights go dim when you operate high draw load like toilet pump.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakwood Farms View Post
I recently upgraded to a Mirada Select as well.
I am really having a great time with it!
I have the 37tb, and my converter is located in the first basement compartment to the LEFT, of the entry door. Itís on the right side, near the top. It has to be as close as possible to the house batteries, (Located under the entry step) because of the high current draw.
I hope this helps you!

Is the OP trying to confirm CONVERTER operation or INVERTER for the refer? Converters don't draw from the batteries, they charge them, consuming 120 volts. Inverters draw from the batteries and produce 120 volts
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
far north Alabama

right, as your CONVERTER should be a part of the Main Electrical Panel(though you can't 'see' it), and your INVERTER would be the unit that is physically close to your BATTERIES, since it requires very large wiring.

Your AGS also has nothing to do with what you are experiencing, as it is a module that Automatically Starts your Generator if the battery levels fall too low, and you have the AGS "enabled", otherwise 'ON'.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... GA, NC, now N AL : )
formerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #6

@nayther, you’re right.
In trying to be helpful, I was typing faster than my brain was fully processing the information. The Mirada Select, uses the Magnum Inverters to produce the 120v for the residential refrigerator, and that’s what I assumed that he was looking for.
Good catch!
I’ve been working in electronics for over 40 years, and it seems lately, that I confuse ‘inverter’, and ‘converter’, more now, than I ever have!
Old age, what can you do? lol��
Old 12-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakwood Farms View Post
@nayther, youíre right.
In trying to be helpful, I was typing faster than my brain was fully processing the information. The Mirada Select, uses the Magnum Inverters to produce the 120v for the residential refrigerator, and thatís what I assumed that he was looking for.
Good catch!
Iíve been working in electronics for over 40 years, and it seems lately, that I confuse Ďinverterí, and Ďconverterí, more now, than I ever have!
Old age, what can you do? lol��
I got some t-shirts you want one?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your responses and helpful insight!

I did isolate the issue - one bad battery - less expensive than an converter though! Of course buying two really isn't. Apparently the charger was attempting to make up for the low battery voltage and was over charging.

Now for the confusing part: I have Magnum Inverter / Charger as Oakwood Farms indicated. It is located in the bay on the left side of the entry steps. Apparently the Inverter / Charger maintains the charge rate for the coach and chassis batteries as depicted on the Cummins/Onan Energy Command 30 AGS system. (also per op manual) This is where I monitor both sets of batteries.

I have searched the coach over and found no Converter / Charger or a stand-along converter. Not behind the electrical panel, not mounted on the floor behind the panel Unless the converter is embedded in the electrical distro box - which doesn't appear to be the case?

Either way - I'm at a lost???

Again, thanks so much for the responses and assistance!
Old 12-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #9

Please post a picture of your 110v and 12v distribution panel. Most have the converter as part of the panel. I know you said you looked.
If you take off the cover panel (be careful, there is 110v present), the converter is usually at the bottom below the fuses and circuit breakers. Or right behind it on the floor.
This is a photo of a 30 or 50amp panel:
https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...rown-Open1.jpg or a 30amp with space for the converter
http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...ed_450x450.jpg
Most coincidences are carefully planned.
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

Hi,

My 110V / 12V panel is identical to the photo you provided (50 amp)- https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...rown-Open1.jpg

Removed the cover the other day as well as remove the drawers surrounding the panel so I could see behind the panel box.

Is the converter built into the panel box?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

If your unit has a Progressive Dynamics type converter it will be a stand alone item/not part of the power panel.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #12

What's strange (among other things) is the installed systems list which indicates make/model/serial number from Coachmen did not have a converter listed. The documentation received from Coachmen has no converter documentation. The only documents (related to this issue) were the AC/DC distro panel box and Inverter/Charger.

Another strange thing is there is what appears to be (similar to a cell phone charger plug) - plugged into the back of the AC/DC distro box (heavier cord than a phone charger) with the cord tying into a connector with two separate stranded wires leading somewhere - have not located where they go and to what - yet.

I'll take a pic of the back of the AC/DC distro panel after while.

Makes you go ...hmmm...
Old 12-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #13

Then you may indeed have an inverter/charger but I believe it would be a stand alone component. Just a wag. Have you checked in your power cable storage compartment including the ceiling of it?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
Is the OP trying to confirm CONVERTER operation or INVERTER for the refer? Converters don't draw from the batteries, they charge them, consuming 120 volts. Inverters draw from the batteries and produce 120 volts
Okay, upon getting off my lazy posterior, and doing a little research, i have been vindicated!
The OP was trying to find the location of the CONVERTER, and in that fact, I was right.
The Coachmen Mirada Select, comes standard with the Magnun MMS1012-G Inverter. It is also a converter, as well.
Since the Mirada has a residential refrigerator, this is the power source for it, when there is no shore power, and uses the house batteries.
When plugged into shore power, or, traveling down the road, using the engine alternator, it monitors the charging of 12 volts, to the house batteries.

Every function is displayed on the Magnum display, on the left of the entry door.
That is the reason there isnít a separate converter that you couldnít find.
Itís a very nice setup, if i may say so, myself.
But, i was still wrong, about Converter/Inverter destination, yet, i was right!

Just remember when the Ďinverterí light is on, and the engine isnít running, or you are not connected to shore power, you only have a couple of hours of refridgerator use, before your house batteries go dead!
It even has a battery temperature sensor.

Iím speaking from experience! lol
You all have a great day, Iím going to take a nap, now!!!
Old 12-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #15

Oh, and I did forget to mention the generator.
So when I refer to shore power, I meant shore power/generator!

Tags
cat, converter, location