Old 06-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #1

Converter not going to float mode with new battery

I had batteries that wouldn't hold a charge (removed from MH and batteries were below 12 V within hours) so I purchased two new ones (Interstate SRM-24). I have a WFCO WF-8955 converter.

After reading a lot about converters (on this site) and it's modes I expected to see the converter switch to Float mode at some point (MH is sitting in driveway plugged to shore power and no loads on). The converter has remained in Absorption mode (reading 13.69 V at battery) the last 24 hours. I've been on shore power in my driveway since installing the new batteries.

Is this normal? I'm worried about shortening the life of my batteries by overcharging them. Should I see Float mode and if so any idea when?

Thanks!

125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:11 PM   #2

The WFCO booklet days out will stay at 13.6 with any load applied.
CO alarm, refer, anything.

MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Thanks! Will this kind of charging shorten the life of my battery?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Is there any way to disconnect the CO2 alarm and other loads to get into the float mode? I believe my disconnect switch disconnects all loads and the converter to the battery so that will not help go to the float mode.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #5

I have a disconnect at the battery which unhooks everything.
Connect it every couple of weeks for a few hours and then connect when we cool down the refer before a trip.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
I have a disconnect at the battery which unhooks everything.
Connect it every couple of weeks for a few hours and then connect when we cool down the refer before a trip.
If possible I'd like to minimize my involvement with battery maintenance (less likely to forget) and rely on the converter to do its thing. My understanding is that it is best to keep the MH on shore power when sitting in my driveway, but I think the assumption is that the converter goes into the float mode. I don't want to damage my new batteries by running in absorption mode 100% of the time.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
Thanks! Will this kind of charging shorten the life of my battery?

In short, No. 13.6 is a good healthy fully charged voltage on a 12 volt regular battery. What are you checking voltage with? Even the best digital instruments are +/- 1 count. Average digital multimeters I look at disregarding the least significant digit. Quick check: Turn off the converter power breaker in the main panel. It is usually on a circuit by itself. Then, check the battery voltage after a few minutes and compare. My suggestion would be that the converter was in a float or maintenance charge mode. Jus for grins, you might look at the charger/converter output with power on, of course. This will give you a clue as to possible excessive loss in the wiring to the battery(s).
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
If possible I'd like to minimize my involvement with battery maintenance (less likely to forget) and rely on the converter to do its thing. My understanding is that it is best to keep the MH on shore power when sitting in my driveway, but I think the assumption is that the converter goes into the float mode. I don't want to damage my new batteries by running in absorption mode 100% of the time.
I have the same converter you have, we have been living fulltime for two years. I did have to change out the mainboard last month the cooling fan went out but our TT is a 2007. The battery in our TT is 2 years old, l have checked it multiple times with the multimeter it is always 13.6 plus on the meter, we haven't had any problems with the battery other than putting distilled water in it every so often, l check it every few months. I believe if you keep your battery maintenanced it will last a long time. I do have a slow trickle charger l use with the riding mower that can be left plugged in all the time, it will turn off and on as needed by itself which may be an option if you don't want to leave your RV hooked up to shore power.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #9

Perhaps I am just lucky but......this is my 3rd trailer with power in about 20 years. current one has a WFCO converter and I do not know what the others had. I keep my trailer at home at it is always plugged in 24/7/365. As I say I may be lucky but have never had battery issues. The currect trailer is into it's 5th year and I still have the battery brovided by the dealer.
Happy camping.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #10

My WFCO takes about 10 days to drop from 13.6 down to 13.2 volts. The only loads are CO detector, thermostat and heat pump logic board, and radio. If I leave it for more than two weeks, I run a 1 amp. maintainer with the converter powered off. The maintainer can run for 6 months with no loss of water in the battery.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
In short, No. 13.6 is a good healthy fully charged voltage on a 12 volt regular battery. What are you checking voltage with? Even the best digital instruments are +/- 1 count. Average digital multimeters I look at disregarding the least significant digit. Quick check: Turn off the converter power breaker in the main panel. It is usually on a circuit by itself. Then, check the battery voltage after a few minutes and compare. My suggestion would be that the converter was in a float or maintenance charge mode. Jus for grins, you might look at the charger/converter output with power on, of course. This will give you a clue as to possible excessive loss in the wiring to the battery(s).
Thanks for the response. I was using a Fluke 87 IV and the drop between the converter output and the battery was only 0.006 V.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #12

Just joined this forum as a newbie, so excuse me if I am over my head in posting here. I have a 2015 Forest River Rockwood 8280WS. I replaced the converter unit (WFCO WF-8955MBA) in June 2018, as I was constantly getting an alarm (always between 11:00 PM and 6:00AM). I would reset, the red light would go out briefly, then right back on. NO problems whatsoever on our 10 state, 8,200 mile road trip. The trailer has been parked for over 6 months, hooked up to shore power for last 2 weeks, batteries are fully charged and, once again, I'm getting consistent alarm (again, only late night/early morning hours). I hit my disconnect switch at my batteries and have had two full nights of uninterrupted sleep. Would welcome any thoughts about what is going on. P.S.: Not a propane issue, they are out of the trailer.
Bustercat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
Retired Old Fart

What Alarm? I've never heard anything alarm in my WFCO. Also which red light are you referring to?
dward51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustercat88 View Post
Just joined this forum as a newbie, so excuse me if I am over my head in posting here. I have a 2015 Forest River Rockwood 8280WS. I replaced the converter unit (WFCO WF-8955MBA) in June 2018, as I was constantly getting an alarm (always between 11:00 PM and 6:00AM). I would reset, the red light would go out briefly, then right back on. NO problems whatsoever on our 10 state, 8,200 mile road trip. The trailer has been parked for over 6 months, hooked up to shore power for last 2 weeks, batteries are fully charged and, once again, I'm getting consistent alarm (again, only late night/early morning hours). I hit my disconnect switch at my batteries and have had two full nights of uninterrupted sleep. Would welcome any thoughts about what is going on. P.S.: Not a propane issue, they are out of the trailer.
Welcome to the forum, Bustercat88. Don't worry about posting. Posting is an ongoing learning process for all of us.

The propane/CO detector and converter (charger) are often near each other but they are separate appliances. If the propane/CO light is coming on, the detector itself may be defective. I don't believe most built-in battery disconnect switches disconnect the propane/CO detector, but...

If you are sleeping with any sort of unvented flame heater, portable or otherwise, it will probably set off the CO detector red light because you are subjecting yourself to carbon monoxide. I say portable because, if the propane tanks are disconnected as you say, it is unlikely a stove burner is on for heat. Stove burners kill several people every year, something to keep in mind.

Other killers are portable catalytic heaters, some of which falsely claim to be safe.

Good luck in your quest. Please come back and tell your story when it is solved.

Wes

Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, converter