Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #1

Difference in batt % between Go Power controller and Renogy batt monitor

Hello!
I just picked up my Coachmen CrossTrek 20XG, and have a question on the solar charging side as it seems like the setup isn't quite working.

Setup:
CrossTrek 20XG
Solar: 2 panels, total 380W
Solar controller: Go Power
Coach battery: 4 x 100Ah
Coach controller: Renogy

I don't seem to be able to fully charge the coach batteries from the solar as it seems the solar is only connected to one of the coach batteries (this would make sense for the 2020 version of this coach, which came with a single 330Ah AGM battery instead of 4 x 100Ah).

So i'm in the slightly funky position of having the Go Solar showing 100%, and if it's showing 8.1 Amps on the Go Solar -> it's /4 when it gets down to the Renogy controller, and a lot less overall coach % on the Renogy.

So - how do I fully charge the coach battery system?

Option A) Get to 50% access to solar system by wiring another of the coach batteries to the Go Solar (it does have the option of adding another battery, but only one more, not 4)

Option B) Somehow have another system on the coach load balance the 4 batteries to empty out the one battery that is connected to solar.

Option C) ... i'm all ears

Genuinely curious to hear if other have stumbled across this - tbh it seems like a bit of a miss by Coachmen to have Solar - but only for 25% of your coach - and doesn't really help me keep the coach batts charged over 50%....oof
gybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #2

don't know what you mean by " it seems the solar is only connected to one of the coach batteries ".... why do you think this?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
don't know what you mean by " it seems the solar is only connected to one of the coach batteries ".... why do you think this?
Because the back of the panel has connectors for 2 batteries to be connected and only one is taken up.
That, and the Go power controller is reading 4 times the amps than the Renogy battery controller is showing
Old 07-30-2020, 01:02 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar RV.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	235157

Name:	Solar RV 2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	494.1 KB
ID:	235158
Old 07-30-2020, 04:34 AM   #5

when you look at your battery bank, if you have FOUR 6v Batteries, which is typical for most of us with larger battery banks and inverters, you'll have each 'pair' wires in SERIES, to make 12v between the two, and then those two 'pairs' wired in PARALLEL, to double the output of the pairs.

So, your Charge Controller for the solar will input the power into the 'main' RED Positive cable/terminal on one 'corner' of the battery bank, while the BLACK Negative will input/connect to the OPPOSITE corner negative terminal - in essence, allowing the 'flow' of power throughout the 'whole' of the battery bank.
It's true that if the solar charger has been only connected to a single battery, it may not be supplying the whole battery bank with charging.

If you connect a Voltmeter, on DC VOLTS, to both of these 'opposite' Positive and Negative terminals, you should be reading 13.5v to 14.5v, depending on 'what' power source is currently supplying charging. A Generator or Shore Power will be higher, while the solar may not get quite as high, but will be in a range similar. If it's not HIGHER than 12.8 or so volts, then you are not really getting a good 'charge', but may only be a 'trickle' charge.

Those will your system will attest to more details, but that's the 'basics' of solar power coming into a battery bank.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #6

If your solar isn't connected to all of your batteries, you have a problem. The batteries should all be connected as a "bank", and the solar positive should go to one side of the bank, and the negative to the other. Uneven charging of your batteries isn't good for them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiring-batteries-parallel-series.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	235425  
Old 08-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

I've seen the exact same thing in my Cross Trek 21XG. I have four 100Ah AGM batteries, and two 160w solar panels on the roof installed by the factory.

I consistently see the Go Power solar controller showing 100% battery charge with 10+ A with sun pounding on the roof...but the Renogy battery monitor will be sitting at 39% with 2.4A coming in and not actually charging at all.

I've also noticed that my batteries will not charge while driving. I took it on a 2 night trip, 7 hours each way, and during the drive the batteries only went up 1-2%, which might have been from the solar and not the batteries?

If someone has some expertise on this i'd greatly appreciate some help as well. I've got tons of pictures showing the similar situation, so i'm looking for any help as well.
Clay21XG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #8

I am not familiar with your rig, and don't understand why you have two charge controllers. You might want to google Handybob's Blog about off grid solar power. He is very verbose, and goes off on rants, but if you get past that there is lots of valuable information. He talks a lot about large enough wires from your panels to your controller, and from there to your batteries. To fully charge your batteries, you need around 14.6 volts. Apparently, many prewired RVs don't have large enough wires to accomplish this. Buy a hydrometer to really know how your battery is doing. Know that if your battery is really at 39%, and has stayed that low for a while, it may be ruined.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #9

Gybe,

Any updates? I just bought a 2021 20XG and I am experiencing same issues, I have 3 solar panels, but everyday seem to be loosing % in my Renogy panel.
AKMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #10

Battery wiring pic?

You might add a picture of the top of your battery bank, so people can see what kind of batteries, and how it is wired.

Maybe the shunt is installed incorrectly?

Has the solar controller been properly programmed for your type batteries?

Possibly a mixture of inadequate wire size and lowest bidder controller.
Swill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay21XG View Post
I've seen the exact same thing in my Cross Trek 21XG. I have four 100Ah AGM batteries, and two 160w solar panels on the roof installed by the factory.

I consistently see the Go Power solar controller showing 100% battery charge with 10+ A with sun pounding on the roof...but the Renogy battery monitor will be sitting at 39% with 2.4A coming in and not actually charging at all.

I've also noticed that my batteries will not charge while driving. I took it on a 2 night trip, 7 hours each way, and during the drive the batteries only went up 1-2%, which might have been from the solar and not the batteries?

If someone has some expertise on this i'd greatly appreciate some help as well. I've got tons of pictures showing the similar situation, so i'm looking for any help as well.
I got fed up after two long trips and no ability to charge the batteries in new 21XG cross trek. No dealer would take the RV for warranty work unless they sold it to me, and the dealer I bought it from sells Fords and just started selling this one RV. I took it to a private RV repair place and they were able to determine that a fuse under the driver's seat, accessible only by removing the seat, was blown.
I'm also having them check the entire coach as I'm not confident the ford dealership had any clue what they are selling. I've never gotten the fridge to cool for instance.
skysponsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gybe View Post
Something isn't wired correctly. Either your solar charge controller or shunt for your battery monitor isn't attached to the entire battery bank. If you have more than one battery, they become a bank and treated as one large battery rather than four individual batteries.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #13

New to the forum, have a 20xg on order, wonder why a factory representative does not weigh in on these threads with technical information to solve these issues. ??
RV_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Author View Post
New to the forum, have a 20xg on order, wonder why a factory representative does not weigh in on these threads with technical information to solve these issues. ??
The RV manufacturer isn't going to weigh in on this because this is an aftermarket equipment issue.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #15

What kind of fuse was under the drivers seat (except the airbag sensor)? We have a new 20XG and have no power at all - shore, battery or solar. Taking it to the dealer as soon as we can - but before everything died, we noticed that solar didn't seem to be doing anything and Go Solar dropped to 0% before the inverter/converter (?) started beeping. As far as we know, nothing was plugged in or turned on. Did this resolve your problems?
mom4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysponsor View Post
I got fed up after two long trips and no ability to charge the batteries in new 21XG cross trek. No dealer would take the RV for warranty work unless they sold it to me, and the dealer I bought it from sells Fords and just started selling this one RV. I took it to a private RV repair place and they were able to determine that a fuse under the driver's seat, accessible only by removing the seat, was blown.
I'm also having them check the entire coach as I'm not confident the ford dealership had any clue what they are selling. I've never gotten the fridge to cool for instance.
Hi there!! Curious... Did you ever determine what was going on with your rigs electrical system? I am having the same issues with my 21XG -- I intermittedly lose "house power" plus my Renogy and Go Power monitor screens %'s are constantly mismatched even though I have calibrated them several times. Personally, I believe there is a short in the wiring harness connecting the battery banks. Thank you for any insight!
joeheller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, power