Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #1

DISH Tailgater on the way...

Well, I took the plunge! Ordered a DISH Tailgater and am now eagerly awaiting its arrival. Since we're part-time vacation travelers, I thought this would be a good choice for us. Now I can basically sit in the middle of a field and watch TV all day long!

It comes with the satellite antenna which plugs directly into one receiver. I'm hoping that the Encounter is set up so that it will be distributed to both the living room and bedroom TVs when I connect it to the coach's satellite hook up. (I have a thread going on another forum about this as well). Won't know until I know, I guess.

If not, I may end up having to wirelessly stream the signal to bedroom and also to portable external TV, in addition to my living room TV. We have 3 TVs and I'm hoping to change the channel from wherever I am around the coach too. Currently looking at a few solutions for that scenario too...

Will keep posted about my progress in case anyone else does this at some point. And, if anyone else has any advice here for me, fire away!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #2

Congrats. I've been through my TV adventure and have it sorted out but went a different way so may not be of any help.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new set up.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

I'm assuming you're also using the receiver that comes with the Tailgater package (211)?

If so, what I recommend is that you use the modulator output (coax) on the receiver and connect that (perhaps thru an A/B switch) to the same place that your "cable" input terminates in the coach. This would then distribute the Sat output to all the TVs. The trouble with that approach is that the modulator output is not HD.
(You can drive the main TV with the HDMI output of the receiver.)

Others buy a separate modulator and drive that with the component or HDMI output from the receiver. That may get you HD at the other TVs.

While Dish does provide RF remotes for some receivers, I don't think the 211 is one of those, so I don't see how you'll have remote control in remote places.

I can see that you enjoy a challenge however, so enjoy!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Owner/Operator

I connected my Tailgater yesterday to test it out on the RV. I am only interested in TV in the living room, so will not face the wiring problems that others with multiple TV distribution will face. I simply added a HDMI cable from the Receiver to the TV.

I also did some testing on signal strength. I measured the signal strength when the Satellite Receiver was connected via the OEM internal coax that runs from the Slideout TV area to the left rear "Sat/Cable" connection on the RV. I then connected the Receiver directly to the Tailgater bypassing the RV internal wiring. I found a 3 to 5 increase in signal strength bypassing the RV internal wiring.

Since the TV Cabinet is in the Slideout, I installed a new coax connection in the Slideout wall right next to the AC Receptacle and BBQ LP connections. Now I have a much shorter run of coax to the Tailgater with improved signal strength.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
semi-senior member

I hope you know that all the tv's you hook up to the tailgater will have the same as what ever is on your 1st tv.
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I'm assuming you're also using the receiver that comes with the Tailgater package (211)?

If so, what I recommend is that you use the modulator output (coax) on the receiver and connect that (perhaps thru an A/B switch) to the same place that your "cable" input terminates in the coach. This would then distribute the Sat output to all the TVs. The trouble with that approach is that the modulator output is not HD.
(You can drive the main TV with the HDMI output of the receiver.)

Others buy a separate modulator and drive that with the component or HDMI output from the receiver. That may get you HD at the other TVs.

While Dish does provide RF remotes for some receivers, I don't think the 211 is one of those, so I don't see how you'll have remote control in remote places.

I can see that you enjoy a challenge however, so enjoy!
I ended up running HDMI cable from my Direct TV HD reciever, to a powered distribution panel and from there to the other (3) TVs.

The bedroom TV had the longest run but it has a fine HD picture, no problem apparently.

It is true, whatever channel the reciever is set to is the channel all 4 TVs will have except:

1) If you power up your local antenna and switch a remote TV to antenna (source) you can watch a local channel independent of the sat reciever; or

2) You can watch a prerecorded (on the DVR) program on the main TV and a live sat channel on the other TVs. or

3) You can watch a DVD on any TV with a player while watching a live channel on other sets, provided you have more than one DVD player.

That's how it works for us anyway.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

Very, very helpful feedback from everyone! Thank you!!

The Dish receiver for the Tailgater is a 211k. No inherent DVR functionality, but you can get that with an external hard drive if you wanted to go that route (we're not since this is just a part-time thing for us).

Completely understand that one TV show will be broadcast on multiple TVs. Since the Tailgater only works with a single box, I want to be able to have the physical box be located in my living room entertainment center, but be able to "control" it also from the bedroom TV (if I'm laying in bed at night flipping through the channels). Same deal with being outside watching our portable TV - want to change the channels from out there too.

Here is one of the things I'm considering (if needed) to be able to do all this. This particular solution would potentially come into play if (when I plug everything into the coach), the TV signal doesn't get distributed to my other two TVs. Pricey, but worth it if it works:

Amazon.com: Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit: Electronics

My best case scenario (I plug everything into the coach and I can see the same show on all my TVs), still leaves me with the "how-do-I-change-the-channel-from-any-TV" issue. Looking at perhaps something like this if I have to go that route:

Amazon.com: Next Generation Remote Control Extender: Electronics

From the comments here, sounds like I will definitely need some kind of A/B box or signal distributer, or switch box in my entertainment center area. I don't think my Encounter already has one of these from what I recall. Will be interesting to see the signal strength, too.

Was hoping to get a dish mount (like for the very similar Vcube, which mounts to the coach ladder), but am hearing that the bolt pattern for the "feet" at the bottom of the Tailgater has been changed (units made starting this past Aug 2012). The Tailgater apparently no longer fits on that ladder mount correctly.

When we hit the NASCAR races (and are packed in like sardines in the camping areas) would be great to put it high up there for the duration of our trip. Can't travel with it up there, however. Not sure there's another ladder mount option on the market that would work right now. May have to do the old bungee and locking cable thing on the roof instead. I've heard some folks just keep it on the ground with a locking cable, but I would think that having it that low might be an issue with the signal...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

I use a HDMI splitter, 1 in 2 out, to distribute my signals to 2 tvs. The coax in our trailer only distributes cable signals. The remote for the 211k works from the bedroom with the 211 in the living room. Either the remote signal is RF or the IR signal is bouncing off the windows in the front of the trailer. Give it a try to see what you get. I know there are remote repeaters available for either RF or IF so you can control the 211 from anywhere.

I normally put the dish on top of the slide or on the roof in front of the ladder. With roof location I can run a cable through ladder and lock the ends through the small hole in the handle. This can be done on the slide but a long cable is needed.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Well, I took the plunge! Ordered a DISH Tailgater and am now eagerly awaiting its arrival. Since we're part-time vacation travelers, I thought this would be a good choice for us. Now I can basically sit in the middle of a field and watch TV all day long!

It comes with the satellite antenna which plugs directly into one receiver. I'm hoping that the Encounter is set up so that it will be distributed to both the living room and bedroom TVs when I connect it to the coach's satellite hook up. (I have a thread going on another forum about this as well). Won't know until I know, I guess.

If not, I may end up having to wirelessly stream the signal to bedroom and also to portable external TV, in addition to my living room TV. We have 3 TVs and I'm hoping to change the channel from wherever I am around the coach too. Currently looking at a few solutions for that scenario too...

Will keep posted about my progress in case anyone else does this at some point. And, if anyone else has any advice here for me, fire away!
Go6car,
Go here: http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wire.../dp/B005L9ZZ32

For a review go here: http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/2012/01...eo-kit-review/

Might be what you want. Oh yes...this is Actiontecs' website with a nice video. It shows you that it has an IR repeater hookup which will let you control your receiver . http://www.actiontec.com/products/pr...9#.UVYtA30pDMI
Old 04-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #10

Those are better links than I had! Thanks!

Got it yesterday; looks like this weekend we'll plug everything in and (hopefully!) it will work!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #11

We just had a Dish installed as well. I think it is the same one as yours. It hits three satellites. I bought two receivers; one for the living room and one for the bedroom and an external hard drive for the living room receiver to make it a DVR. It is nice to be able to push a button and have the antenna go up on its own and lock on the satellites. We haven't turned on the Dish yet since we haven't used the motor home yet.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Those are better links than I had! Thanks!

Got it yesterday; looks like this weekend we'll plug everything in and (hopefully!) it will work!
How is it working?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
We just had a Dish installed as well. I think it is the same one as yours. It hits three satellites. I bought two receivers; one for the living room and one for the bedroom and an external hard drive for the living room receiver to make it a DVR. It is nice to be able to push a button and have the antenna go up on its own and lock on the satellites. We haven't turned on the Dish yet since we haven't used the motor home yet.

Sounds like you have a nicer and more sophisticated one than we have!! (Ours is a carry out unit0
Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
How is it working?
My better half has spent two weekends running coax so that the Tailgater has it's own dedicated feed. Also ended up getting the wireless transmitters/recievers to wirelessly stream the TV signal in HD. Moment of truth is later on this morning (or whenever I finish my 2nd cup of coffee, whichever comes first, LOL!!).

I also ordered a combo ladder mount/tripod (expensive!) today. the ladder mount looks like the Flagpole Buddy (but shorter), and the dish sits on top. Important to note that I ordered this before I had my first cup of coffee. I can justify the cost this way.

Keep your fingers crossed that everything works, or else it's gonna be another long day!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #15

We were going to get a carry out too, but then decided on a roof mount one for a couple of reasons... ease, three satellites so we could get different channels on the tvs which will give us a break from each other if/when need be. We also had a mobile RV guy install it for us and his price was fantastic and he did a great job.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #16

Well -- EVERYTHING WORKED!

I'm so happy I can't see straight!

The Tailgater is on its own dedicate line. Actiontec devices enable streaming to the two other TVs. Using the Dish remote, can change channel on any of the 3 TVs.

Got my new DISH "pay as you go" account set up and, (why stop the debt now), got the top of the line viewing package. What the heck, you only live once!

Now, waiting for the combo ladder mount and tripod combo mounting unit, and then I think we're done!

Better half is about to padlock shut my wallet, LOL!!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #17

Hey

DISH versus Direct TV. I'm thinking of going Direct. As I understand it, with the DISH "pay as you go" you pay for a month at a time. I'm taking mine out once a month for a weekend.

I'm on Time Warner Cable at home and thinking of switching to Direct TV and buying an HD receiver and ABS-suitcase type boxed satellite dish from Winegard. Looks like about $400 for both. As I understand it, I can enter my account number in the RV and watch Direct. Without paying an additional monthly fee? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #18

Yes, the pay-as-you-go with Dish Network is for a month at a time. (I'm on cable at home).

DirecTV and Dish have the same type of a deal I think if you have them as your home provider -- the extra box for the rig is not much more (I think Dish is an extra $7.00; not sure what DirecTV is). Some folks just take a box out of their home and just go with that, but I've been out of the satellite biz for a while now, so not sure how that works. With DirecTV, you'd have to manually change some settings directly on the box menu to have it work that way. I would do a more generic search for folks who have actually done this so you can get a better idea for how this really works.

A bit harder to get DirecTV HD programming vs. Dish Network via an RV dish, should that be important to you.

With the suitcase type dish, I don't think you have the auto-locate feature, which means you'd have to manually set it up to lock on the desired satellite. A few extra steps during your set up - which can be a pain. (That's why the Tailgator caught on so well -- it hooks itself up in less than a few minutes).
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Hey

DISH versus Direct TV. I'm thinking of going Direct. As I understand it, with the DISH "pay as you go" you pay for a month at a time. I'm taking mine out once a month for a weekend.

I'm on Time Warner Cable at home and thinking of switching to Direct TV and buying an HD receiver and ABS-suitcase type boxed satellite dish from Winegard. Looks like about $400 for both. As I understand it, I can enter my account number in the RV and watch Direct. Without paying an additional monthly fee? Any insight would be appreciated.
I know experiences vary but we have had outstanding service via DirectTV. We have friends we camp with several times during the season that use the boxes. They use the Dish service which I know little about. What I can tell you is that this last weekend is typical for us and our friends. We had full service just like at home, they had trouble getting a signal and when they did, it did not include the local channels they wanted. I'm not into dissing Dish but we just don't have the problems they do. They don't have a problem every time we camp but it happens.

One difference, our dish is a Winegard Travel'r mounted on the roof of our coach. It picks up all three HD sats simultaneously and so it is literally like sitting at home watching our usual programing. changing channels is instant, no tweaking controls, sats, or box direction. We do carry one of the DTV HD DVRs out of the house in the Spring and put it in the coach where it stays until the Fall. Direct TV doesn't know or seem to care we move it from the house to the coach, the bill does not change, no additional charges.

Roll
Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #20

I have the tailgator also and want to control TV from each TV to change channels. Which option did you go with and does it work?
DrJMB is offline   Reply With Quote