Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Encounter owners: Is your coach listing?

Because it's winter and I am retired now I have extra time.

Thinking again about one issue I have not really solved. My Encounter 37TZ sits an inch lower on the right (curb) side at the rear than the left (street) side. My OCD kicks in and so I don't like it. It seems to have no effect on use, driving, slide use, and visually it is barely perceptible if at all. But dang it, when I measure the distance from the rear corners to the ground on a level surface the curb side is an inch lower, (I am measuring with the slides in and jacks up).

I moved as many of the heavier items from the curb to the street side last year as was possible and picked out the lighter items and moved them to the curb side. It made very little difference. The curb side has two slides the combination of which includes the entire curb side with the exception of the entrance door.

If the slides are the reason for the listing attitude, than others with the Encounter 37 TZ might have the same issue in varying degrees.

Anyone else see this with their coach?

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

Just a thought, Run over to iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News and look up info on cheep handling fix. There is a lot written about adjustments that can be made to the rear of the ford chassis that would stiffen the suspension and could straighten things out. Only your effort is required. Those who have done it seem pleased.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There was a thread here, or on another forum, about spring spacers needed on some units.

Before moving gear around, it might be best to check the weights from side to side.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Check here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...very-5480.html

And here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tion-5583.html

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Just a thought, Run over to iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News and look up info on cheep handling fix. There is a lot written about adjustments that can be made to the rear of the ford chassis that would stiffen the suspension and could straighten things out. Only your effort is required. Those who have done it seem pleased.
I did the anti-sway bar change 18 months ago and have posted in that thread 25 or more times, (although it is a huge thread).

This is not the problem but thank you for the response.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
There was a thread here, or on another forum, about spring spacers needed on some units.

Before moving gear around, it might be best to check the weights from side to side.
If only I could. I have looked and called around and can't find a place in this city or surrounding area where I can get a weight for each axle end. I can weigh the front or rear but not the side to side.

Gary
Old 01-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #7

Have you checked with a local farmer/cattleman or grain mill, or feed store. Around here for a small fee they will let you weigh a rig, many do not have the side blocked so you may do one side or the other.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #8

Wow MtnGuy. That is interesting. These threads are several years old but the issue is exactly like what I have. What I don't know is if I have a shim or spacer on the rear springs. Too cold to go lay on the floor and look but as soon as it warms up I'll check it out.

If I don't have a spacer I might look into airbags for the coach. I see several people consider that a handling improvement which translates to a safety improvement.

Thank you,

Gary
Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #9

I have a different floor plan (and I got winterized along with the rig, so I'll have to wait until later to see if we have the same issue! ).

Do you think that 1" difference would really impact anything? Just curious...
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
If only I could. I have looked and called around and can't find a place in this city or surrounding area where I can get a weight for each axle end. I can weigh the front or rear but not the side to side.

Gary
Gary,
You can get a 4 corner weigh at the Coachmen factory in Middlebury. I did last August and was surprised at the difference in side to side weights. On one of your trips this year you might want to swing by and get weighed.

Also, are you measuring the body height or the frame height? Based on how these coaches are built up on the Ford F53 chassis I would expect some difference in height for the body but a smaller difference for the frame.

Good luck,
Larry...

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2020 Chevrolet Equinox toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050623.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	45704It so happens I had pictures of both sides of the rear axle taken for another purpose. I do have spacers, one on each side about 2 - 3 inches high. I'll measure them to be sure they are the same when the weather warms up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050621.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	45705   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050622.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	45706