Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

For the Encounter owners....

Happened to see a local dealer advertise one of the new Encounters, a 2016 model. Specifically the SA model.

Looks like they took care of some of the complaints I have about our 2011 model. Bigger shower, ceramic flooring, wood cabinets, larger living room TV, outside TV, double pane frameless windows, more counter space, even a decent paint job. This model has a queen bed; we find the king is more than we need and it limits the walking area around the bed. Also washer drying prep for stackable units but I don't find they offer a washer and dryer as an option. Unfortunately I don't see an option to add heated tanks either. Would like to have something we can use year round.

Still missing is a larger grey water tank. Our 40 gallon grey tank is woefully too small. Even in water-use-conservation mode, the grey fills up too fast. In the 2016 the fresh water is still 70 gal. Coachmen increased the size of the grey and holding tanks (that's good) by only 5 gallons each (that's not enough). Why can't they get that right. 40 gallons for the holding tank is just fine, take the additional 10 gallons they added and put it into the grey tank. A 50 gallon grey tank might alleviate the problem of the 40 gallon tank filling too fast. They also have an Encounter model with a rear bath. I note that unit has only two slides and though it says the holding tank is 90 gallons, they mean there are two 45 gallon holding tanks (to drain and fuss about).

I guess if we are tempted by the new Encounter maybe we should spend a few minutes looking at other brands, Winny, Newmar, Tiffin maybe, but I hear they have had quality problems too.

The other problem is that in our fifth season with our 2011 we have worked out every bug. It rides fine, handles very well, engine sound is reduced, and everything works as it's supposed to. We have also added a number of expensive enhancements that I am sure we won't get a dime out of.

Riding the fence at the moment. Would like what the new coach offers but don't want to go through the self inflicted quality control effort needed on the 2011 to make it right and the thought of taking out all the extras we added just to put them in the 2016 is a bit daunting too.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

Roll I hear ya! I have put expensive changes in too, but not as many as you. True, you have 4 or so years in your coach but hang on. My first coach was 10 years old before we traded. If I come into a bit of money (very possible) I might take the plunge and go diesel. The problem is we have not seen a floorplan we like. Some are close but have pet peeves we would not tolerate. Funny how fussy you get when you get older. I have found a company that does tank heaters but one of the tanks would require the generator to be removed to install. I might take the plunge. They have AC models DC models and an AC/DC model (preferred). The diesel industry is developing an engine that will not require DEF, but it isn't ready for prime time yet. I might try to hold out for that.

1n
Old 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

We bought a 2015 Encounter 36BH in January. I am not versed on the MH industry but ours has a 2014 Ford chassis. I checked a month or so back and the new 2016 Encounter was on the lot. I checked the serial # and it also had a 2014 chassis. Might be something to consider when you trade. With all the vehicle electronics, etc., I would prefer that the chassis is as new as possible.
jubbabnr is offline   Reply With Quote