Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #1

Ford E450 TPMS question

Hello everyone. I need your help on TPMS. I have tried searching the forems with no success. I have been considering buying an after market Tire Pressure Monitoring System but in reading my Ford Owner's manual it indicates that the E450 chassis has a built in TPMS. On my unit, the warning indicator light, if there is one, does not illuminate when you turn the key on as a bulb check and I have never seen it. I also read somewhere that all vehicles manufactured for US use since about 2008 are required by law to have TPMS but I can't find authoritative reference. Can anyone confirm that a 2017 Ford E450 does have TPMS as standard equipment? How can I test the system? Let air out of a tire? I would appreciate your thoughts/experience/comments on the subject. Thanks.
Ford E450, V-10 Gasoline, 7500# towing
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:24 AM   #2

Letting air out is one way to test, but if you have no screen that you can choose on your instrument cluster, at best you’ve got the equivalent of an idiot light. So if a tire goes down, all you’re gonna get is a light coming on with no indication of which tire, or how low.

I STRONGLY recommend getting a system from TST. It’s VERY easy to install and configure, and will give you updates on all your tire pressures and temperatures, and will give you warnings if you’re having a problem BEFORE it goes catastrophic (in most cases).

I’ve got an OEM TPMS system on my F150, and can monitor my tires already. But I bought a system from TST to monitor the four tires on my trailer, liked it so much that I bought four caps for the truck.

Get a real TPMS system. Mike Benson from TST is a member here, and is VERY responsive to any questions.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
Hello everyone. I need your help on TPMS. I have tried searching the forems with no success. I have been considering buying an after market Tire Pressure Monitoring System but in reading my Ford Owner's manual it indicates that the E450 chassis has a built in TPMS. On my unit, the warning indicator light, if there is one, does not illuminate when you turn the key on as a bulb check and I have never seen it. I also read somewhere that all vehicles manufactured for US use since about 2008 are required by law to have TPMS but I can't find authoritative reference. Can anyone confirm that a 2017 Ford E450 does have TPMS as standard equipment? How can I test the system? Let air out of a tire? I would appreciate your thoughts/experience/comments on the subject. Thanks.
I've checked in to that and here is what I've found:

Your chassis does not have the Ford OEM TPMS system. It is an option that FR chooses not to purchase when they order a chassis.

The law regarding having a OEM TPMS installed only applies to "passenger" vehicles. By the definition you have a "commercial" vehicle chassis and it is not a legal requirement.

Our 2018 Sunseeker, on a 2016 Ford Transit 350HD chassis , doesn't have a Ford OEM TPMS either...

I use the TST 507 and highly recommend it... Just replace any rubber valve stems, or plastic valve stem extenders, before installing any valve stem mounted TPMS. DuallyValves sells a kit for your E450 that will replace all the OEM and FR "stuff" with one piece stainless steel valve stems. I used it on our previous E450 based motor home and it worked great. I now have their kit for the Transit 350HD on our new motor home.

Hope this helps....
Old 12-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #4

Thank you marinerjoe. Good points you make on having a real TPMS.
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Old 12-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Thanks RedLdr. I will look into the TST.
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Old 12-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I've checked in to that and here is what I've found:

Your chassis does not have the Ford OEM TPMS system. It is an option that FR chooses not to purchase when they order a chassis.

The law regarding having a OEM TPMS installed only applies to "passenger" vehicles. By the definition you have a "commercial" vehicle chassis and it is not a legal requirement.

Our 2018 Sunseeker, on a 2016 Ford Transit 350HD chassis , doesn't have a Ford OEM TPMS either...

I use the TST 507 and highly recommend it... Just replace any rubber valve stems, or plastic valve stem extenders, before installing any valve stem mounted TPMS. DuallyValves sells a kit for your E450 that will replace all the OEM and FR "stuff" with one piece stainless steel valve stems. I used it on our previous E450 based motor home and it worked great. I now have their kit for the Transit 350HD on our new motor home.

Hope this helps....
From the attached site I only see Crome or Brass ? No Stainless steel valve stems ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
From the attached site I only see Crome or Brass ? No Stainless steel valve stems ?
See Here... I forgot to add that I suggest you also add two front valve stems as well with the 15 degree angle. That makes the TPMS sensor fit better around the "hubcaps"... Give them a call and they will put a nice package together for you.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #8

TST 507 and Dully Valve Stems

I agree with the previous recommendation to get the Dully Valve Stem replacements. My extensions were nothing but trouble and had two leaks - the first before I added the TST system resulted in a total flat (zero air pressure) on my first drive back from buying the MH. The second after adding the TST 507 system (but before adding the Dully valve stems) resulted in a TST alarm when the air pressure dropped by 10%. I was able to pull off the road easily figure out which tire and that the valve stem extension was the cause. After tightening the extension and adding air I was back on the road without an issue.

By the way, if you are not overly concerned about theft, you might want to consider having TST strip off the outer housing from the valve stem caps / sensors. Lightens up the caps and is a smaller cap to fit around the wheel simulators (unless you got the aluminum wheels without hub caps / simulators).

I have the regular caps (non-flow thru) and do not have an issue removing to add air. I like them better than the flow thru caps (smaller and easier to fit on wheels) but it is really a personal choice. The only downside of having to remove the caps to add air is the time it takes for the TST 507 system to 'find' and read the sensor after you put the caps back on.

Hope this helps. I also second the comment about the great customer service from TST. I have nothing but good things to say about them and their products.

Toad - 2016 Ford Edge SEL AWD w/6 cyl
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #9

agree, Ford E450's do not have a built-in TPMS system. I use the TireTracker TT-500. I have been well pleased with this system. Whichever system you choose, make sure it has a lifetime warranty and replaceable batteries.
I use braided flow thru extenders and have not had any issues.
do go by the parts house and purchase a core valve replacement kit and check all if the valve stem cores for tightness, including the extenders.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #10
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST TPMS

Hi GMan,

Thank you all for the comments on TST TPMS. Happy Holidays to you all!!

GMan I am always here to answer any questions, and you can always reach me at 210-420-0132. We take customer service very seriously at TST. I look forward to speaking with you.

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
GnS

I too purchased the TST system last year and if you go the flow through sensor route, be sure to replace any inner tire valve extensions with an extended one piece valve. The flow through sensors are too much weight on the end of a rubber valve stem even if it has a metal extender. Haven’t had issues yet on the shorter rubber stems on the front and rear outer tires, but I am going to have them replaced with metal stems at the next tire rotation and balance. Speaking of which, given the larger size of the flow through sensors, do you folks think I should request having one attached to the valve stem when the tires are balanced? Happy New Year to all and safe motoring in the coming year.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #12

Camping World has tire valve extensions that come with rubber inserts that have a small hole for supporting the inner tire valve extension that fit in the oval holes in the outer wheel. With that support, TPMS units mount on the end of the valve extension. I am ordering some for my E450 Class C when I order a TPMS system.
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
GnS

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsail View Post
Camping World has tire valve extensions that come with rubber inserts that have a small hole for supporting the inner tire valve extension that fit in the oval holes in the outer wheel. With that support, TPMS units mount on the end of the valve extension. I am ordering some for my E450 Class C when I order a TPMS system.

I have indeed seen those inserts. We have the polished aluminum wheel upgrade and the holes are round. That being said, I had issues with metal extender on rubber stem and while having the broken stem replaced while on the road, I had them convert both inner back tires to one piece metal stems. Haven’t had an issue with the inner stems since then.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #14
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST TPMS

Hi Landsail,

Another place to get what your looking for is
BORG Equipment & Supply Corp. Inc. - Automotive Equipment & Supplies
They have the best extensions on the market.

Feel free to contact me anytime at 210-420-0132 if you have any questions.

Happy New Year to you all!

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tpms