Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #1

Freelander 20cb house battery

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 20cb but some info in another thread here kinda put a dampener on this. It seems that the battery box is too small to hold 2-6v GC batteries. The thread said it was a height issue. I don't know if it is also a length and width problem.

To any one with a Freelander 20cb or equivalent, do you think the battery box can be modified. Is there room to make it deeper if that's all it needs? If it needs to be larger side to side it might not work.

Also, is there room under that seat for a couple of 6v GC batteries? My goal in all this is to carry 4 of these batteries.

TIA,
Eric
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #2

Battery box bummer

I was disappointed when the two 6 volt batteries i got from Batteries Plus Bulbs were about 3/4 inch too high for the box under the step. I returned them and put in two type 24 marine/rv batteries which were tight height-wise but did fit. I suppose the step could be elevated an inch or so but would involve cutting and welding. The box could be extended downwards but that would reduce ground clearance which is already minimal. As far as under seat stowage, that would be a no go because the chassis batteries are under the drivers seat and hydraulic jack and tools are under the passenger seat. I haven't looked at other battery types like Lithium because of the much greater cost but that could be an option. We have been doing fine with the Duracell type 24 batteries for over two years now, and we like boon-docking alot.

2022 Coachmen Apex Remote 16R (Remo)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood2Cook View Post
I was disappointed when the two 6 volt batteries i got from Batteries Plus Bulbs were about 3/4 inch too high for the box under the step. I returned them and put in two type 24 marine/rv batteries which were tight height-wise but did fit. I suppose the step could be elevated an inch or so but would involve cutting and welding. The box could be extended downwards but that would reduce ground clearance which is already minimal. As far as under seat stowage, that would be a no go because the chassis batteries are under the drivers seat and hydraulic jack and tools are under the passenger seat. I haven't looked at other battery types like Lithium because of the much greater cost but that could be an option. We have been doing fine with the Duracell type 24 batteries for over two years now, and we like boon-docking alot.
Thanks for your answer.

When I said seat, I was thinking more about that little jump seat to the right as you enter the coach from the side door. What's in there and would it hold some batteries?
Old 05-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Thanks for your answer.

When I said seat, I was thinking more about that little jump seat to the right as you enter the coach from the side door. What's in there and would it hold some batteries?
Oh! That's not a bad idea. The jump seat is 20 deep and 19 wide, all that's inside are a pair of seat belts bolted to the deck.

2022 Coachmen Apex Remote 16R (Remo)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood2Cook View Post
Oh! That's not a bad idea. The jump seat is 20 deep and 19 wide, all that's inside are a pair of seat belts bolted to the deck.
Well, that’s getting closer. GC batteries are 10.25x7.125 so I’m not going to get 4 of them on the floor but I might be able to build a frame and stack them.

Hey, thanks for help. I think I’ll move forward and try to find one to buy. I was pretty discouraged last night after learning the batts wouldn’t fit in the stairwell.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #6

Keep in mind that wet cell batteries must be vented as they can outgas when being charged. If mounting inside the RV you should have them in a sealed box vented to the outside.
It is possible to add a riser to the stair tread to increase the height of the stairwell battery box.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #7

House battery

I installed a 3rd house battery under the jump seat.
Installed louvers on all 3 side seats for ventilation.
I have 300 watts solar and needed more capacity.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery