Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
J T

Freelander auxiliary step install

Has anyone installed an extra step on a Freelander MH? I have a 15" step remaining when stepping out of the RV. I'd like to install another step, but need to find one that will work around the step box and battery tray that are in the doorway. I'm attaching some pics for reference. I've seen the little stools that can be placed on the ground....not really looking to go that way.

Thanks!

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431990314.813119.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431990331.041375.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431990348.341239.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431990365.944549.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  69.0 KB
J T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

I installed an ETD Quadrastep on my 5er for the same reason. I can tell you that it will require fabrication.
Based on your pics, I suggest you look at the one pictured below. It has a chance of giving you what you need and maintaining ground clearance.
If you need an installer, Interstate RV in LaGrange is recommended.
Photo Credit to JJD74.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Weekender

Okay, I don't have a Freelander so I can't check the measurements, etc., but you have a couple of options....if there is ample room. You will need to check the measurements of the area under the door to determine what if anything can be done. Here are a couple of links to some single steps, one manual and the other electric. The electric will require more room, but it will drop further down and probably be close to the 7" dimension from the ground. The manual will be higher unless you build some type of spacing bracket to get the step where you want it. Manual steps normally only drop about 2-3" below the stow position. Also I don't know if you will be able to install either without cutting the area just below the door to accommodate. At any rate, here are the links for both, with their dimensions; Kwikee 902809025 28 Series Electric Single Step Camper Trailer RV

Trailer - RV Steps on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Good luck!
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #4

We use the portable

Camco 43677 Fixed Height Aluminum Platform Step

About $56 via Amazon
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #5

I have posted this same questions on other sites for I have a Coachman Leprechaun with the same problem there is not enough room under the entry way with the battery box there to allow for a step to work. Tried a 7 inch drop Battery Box in the way dropped it down to miss the box and pulled out the step and nope only about 3 to 4 inches of the step showed I have been told on other sites that no one has come up with a fix yet and if someone does it will be great because we are not the only ones asking these questions. Yes the portable steps work but would much rather have a fixed step
kubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubshack View Post
I have posted this same questions on other sites for I have a Coachman Leprechaun with the same problem there is not enough room under the entry way with the battery box there to allow for a step to work. Tried a 7 inch drop Battery Box in the way dropped it down to miss the box and pulled out the step and nope only about 3 to 4 inches of the step showed I have been told on other sites that no one has come up with a fix yet and if someone does it will be great because we are not the only ones asking these questions. Yes the portable steps work but would much rather have a fixed step

An electric step on my 2013 Leprechaun was an option I ordered. First one failed under warranty and it was replaced free of charge. Great addition and reduces clearance for that last step out of the motorhome.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote